First Porsche

All your ordering information here!
LemonJelly

Post by LemonJelly »

I am just about to fully lock in my spec on a new Macan S for a November delivery, it is all very exciting but also daunting. I have attached my spec and I am just debating the Air vs Steel suspension topic. I have only driven air and currently, I don't have it selected, mainly due to hearing they can fail and that being on standard 20" wheels with PASM is a lovely ride. Anyway, I would value any thoughts on the spec, especially if I am making any rookie selection errors.

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PRVEIU82

Thanks,
LJ
Current: 2020 A4 S-Line Black Edition with Technology Pack
(Near) Future: MY2023 Porsche Macan S

pmg

Post by pmg »

Welcome, a nice sensible through spec

You will receive a reply from Col saying add spare wheel. I agree with Col on that

I always say test drive the suspension and wheel size you order. So even if means pretending to be interested in an approved one do drive a car with 20 wheels and air.

Personally, I think air suspension adds a lot and would not have a Macan without such but some disagree and find it a bit floaty
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
LemonJelly

Post by LemonJelly »

Thanks, pmg, for the reply and thoughts, I really appreciate it.
Jon A

Post by Jon A »

Nice spec but agree re spare wheel. Not sure air required on 20” wheels as all the comfort is really coming from PASM, air is more about reducing pitch and lean when pressing on although it does provide some ride height benefits.
I might spend the extra on more leather as the interior really moves up a notch (or two) with extra leather, at least on the dashboard.
Do check you are happy with 18w seats they are not always easy to get in and out of and crease damage is common, 14w are just as comfortable but it’s a personal thing.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

LemonJelly wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:28 pm I am just about to fully lock in my spec on a new Macan S for a November delivery, it is all very exciting but also daunting. I have attached my spec and I am just debating the Air vs Steel suspension topic. I have only driven air and currently, I don't have it selected, mainly due to hearing they can fail and that being on standard 20" wheels with PASM is a lovely ride. Anyway, I would value any thoughts on the spec, especially if I am making any rookie selection errors.

https://www.porsche.com/microsite/porsc ... =/PRVEIU82

Thanks,
LJ
Welcome to the forum. As said already, that's a nice sensible spec. Prepare to be bombarded with people saying change this and add that.

But for your question regarding air or steel. I have driven both, and both on 21" wheels. Air is certainly the better ride, and you can adjust the car's ride height which is a good shout given you have selected sport Chrono. Like yourself, I'd read stories of air going wrong and once out of warranty could be pricey to fix. But once you experience air compared to steel, it's a no brainer. Not that steel is bad however. I had a demo car for 3 days and it was on steel. The ride was very impressive, and if budget is an issue, you won't feel short changed. But air is better.

Spare wheel is the only addition I'd suggest. Much better than cans of foam and new tyres.

Also, be prepared for people talking you out of the 18 way seats. They take a lot of fiddling to get right, but once set they are very comfy.

The only thing I'd say you don't need is power steering plus. Standard set-up is easy enough to manoeuvre in parking spaces etc, and then the steering remains consistent throughout the whole driving experience.
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

Hi. Picked up my S Saturday after months of deliberations and spec changes then an 3 month wait. Only thing I would retrospectively add to my spec is more leather. Really lifts the cabin - wish I’d done more. I went with air after trying both and as Jon and Wab have said, lowers the ride height. You won’t regret surround camera at all.
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
LemonJelly

Post by LemonJelly »

Thank you all so much already for the replies.

I presume the spare wheel is the 19" collapsable wheel option at £269?

I'll have a think about the leather too, I have been contemplating it. The monthly cost to add air is negligible, so I am tempted to just do it.

Thanks for the comment on power steering plus, one to think over.

I never knew it would be this tricky :)
LemonJelly

Post by LemonJelly »

Woodhouse wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:16 pm Hi. Picked up my S Saturday after months of deliberations and spec changes then an 3 month wait. Only thing I would retrospectively add to my spec is more leather. Really lifts the cabin - wish I’d done more. I went with air after trying both and as Jon and Wab have said, lowers the ride height. You won’t regret surround camera at all.
Congrats on taking delivery! I will definitely check the leather options out, it was an area I stayed away from as it can escalate costs quickly.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Welcome Lemonjelly

You do not need a spare wheel as you get Porsche Assist / the AA roadside cover. The AA carry temporary slave wheels. Do you really want to change a heavy 20" wheel on the road side> and then have to find somewhere to put the dirty beast on board, as there is no wheel well. Most punctures are slow [nail / screw] ones and you can drive at reduced speed to the nearest tyre depot.

Power Steering Plus is well worth having with 20" alloys. It only operates at parking speeds.

Do consider the Speed limit indicator @ £204.00. Very reasuring when you are on unfamiliar roads.

Do an extended test drive in a Macan with 18-way seats and with and without Air Suspension.

Good luck!
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

LemonJelly wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:19 pm Thank you all so much already for the replies.

I presume the spare wheel is the 19" collapsable wheel option at £269?

I'll have a think about the leather too, I have been contemplating it. The monthly cost to add air is negligible, so I am tempted to just do it.

Thanks for the comment on power steering plus, one to think over.

I never knew it would be this tricky :)
The spare for the "S" is the 18" version, the 19" is for the GTS or if you spec the bigger brakes.