Another GTS on order

All your ordering information here!
PorscheMack

Post by PorscheMack »

GeeRam wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:16 am
wab172uk wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:54 am
Plyphon wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:19 am Nice one, congrats!

The Macan will be night and day to your X3M - those things have a horrible chassis and suspension setup compared to the Macan - X3M may be faster in a straight line, but certainly not round the twisties!

Share your Porsche code so we can all tell you to spend more money on various options :lol:
That is very true. I went from X3 M40i to Macan S, and the difference is startling. The X3 is a great car, fantastic in fact. But the ride quality and handling are just in another league. So it the gearbox.

Two things I miss with the X3 though is I-drive with the rotary wheel. And the driving position.
Its the driving position, comfort seats and I-Drive functionality that I'm worried about missing so much if I change my X5 for a Macan S.
If Porsche jack up the prices again next week, it could make a Macan S very close in price to a Alpina X3d....and that's considered to be a much better and more comfortable and compliant drive, suspension wise to a X3M, down UK B roads, and with 730Nm of torque, not slower in the real world.
Have you spoken to your OPC by any chance re price increase as mine says "they don't know" I personally think that Dealer Principals will be well aware of any imminent price rise by now.
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 24-???)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PRKIVM50
Macan GTS (Gen 3) (Mar 22-Nov 23)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNIECDM4

wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Plyphon wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:19 am Nice one, congrats!

The Macan will be night and day to your X3M - those things have a horrible chassis and suspension setup compared to the Macan - X3M may be faster in a straight line, but certainly not round the twisties!

Share your Porsche code so we can all tell you to spend more money on various options :lol:
That is very true. I went from X3 M40i to Macan S, and the difference is startling. The X3 is a great car, fantastic in fact. But the ride quality and handling are just in another league. So it the gearbox.

Two things I miss with the X3 though is I-drive with the rotary wheel. And the driving position.
Its the driving position, comfort seats and I-Drive functionality that I'm worried about missing so much if I change my X5 for a Macan S.
If Porsche jack up the prices again next week, it could make a Macan S very close in price to a Alpina X3d....and that's considered to be a much better and more comfortable and compliant drive, suspension wise to a X3M, down UK B roads, and with 730Nm of torque, not slower in the real world.
The driving position on the Macan isn't bad. It's just different. I prefer the steering wheel much closer than maybe most people. And for me, the Macan's doesn't come out far enough. So I'm slightly (only slight) making a compromise. The X3 is a better driving position for this reason.

I also have a GR-Yaris and I had the same situation. I had a steering wheel column extension fitted, which now makes it great. However, most owners on the forum don't have this issue. So it may well just be me. I'm sure most people on here will say the driving position on the Macan is great. Maybe get a test drive for a whole day, and then you can see for yourself.

I-drive is great. And if the Macan had a rotary dial, it would be great to. It's just what you get used to. The I-drive is better, but I wouldn't let that rule my purchase. I've started getting use to the system on the Macan, and you can control things via the steering wheel for changing radio channel etc. It's just different.

As for ride & handling. The Macan is far more car like than an X3. I can't speak for the X3M, but compared to the Macan the M40i felt too soft and wollowie (is that a word?) and I never felt like I could drive it fast on back roads or fling it round a roundabout. You can with the Macan. I did see lots of comparisons for M40i V X3M, and most preferred the ride of the M40i to the X3M.

Best advise is to get a test drive for a day. The Macan is the superior car for ride, handling, and gearbox. Build quality is similar I'd say. Interior style wise, I'd say Macan. And then you have the feel good factor. Porsche V BMW. Porsche every time.
Skyway

Post by Skyway »

If iDrive is a wheel then wouldn’t cut it for me. I’d want a touch screen ahead of a clunky wheel ;)

You can use the two rotary knobs in the Macan btw.
Macan S MY 2023
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

You've only got to watch YouTube reviews of the Macan GTS and hear the praise, vs the X3M where it's consistently a mixed bag.

vs

Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

wab172uk wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:48 pm

The driving position on the Macan isn't bad. It's just different. I prefer the steering wheel much closer than maybe most people. And for me, the Macan's doesn't come out far enough. So I'm slightly (only slight) making a compromise. The X3 is a better driving position for this reason.
I'm the same, I have the wheel set all the way out on my X5, and to be honest, I wish it could come out a little further 8-)
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

That’s a nice spec. I really like the red highlights against volcano grey and volcano really does look good on the road. It may be subtle but it’s a very nice shade.

One think I wondered: did you not fancy lane keep assist? In conjunction with the adaptive cruise you have a more complete self-driving mode for the motorway. I acknowledge that I haven’t tried it on the Macan but I have the full assistance systems on my Audi and it makes motorway journeys very relaxing.
2023 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPMPKF77
Due 2025: Cayenne S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PRBH59L6
2023 Audi S6 Avant
Suzuki Jimny
Mini Cooper
Kiernan

Post by Kiernan »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:15 am That’s a nice spec. I really like the red highlights against volcano grey and volcano really does look good on the road. It may be subtle but it’s a very nice shade.

One think I wondered: did you not fancy lane keep assist? In conjunction with the adaptive cruise you have a more complete self-driving mode for the motorway. I acknowledge that I haven’t tried it on the Macan but I have the full assistance systems on my Audi and it makes motorway journeys very relaxing.
Not really keen on Lane Keeping Assist. I had the Driving Assistant Professional packing in the X3 which included Steering and Lane Control Assistance and found it a bit of a pain. I used the adaptive cruise all the time, but the lane keep stuff was a bit of a toy. I'd switch it on just to see how it worked, and after it had guided me round a few corners on the motorway with my hand off the wheel (only kidding officer) I'd switch it off as I prefer to control the direction of the car myself. I understand that the system used in the Macan isn't as advanced as the BMW, so it's not really something I want to spend my money on.

That's one of the things that I'm going to have to get used to on the Porsche; the technology in the X3 was really good, and if you ticked the right boxes it could be one of the most advanced cars out there. The Porsche isn't in the same league, but I think we get a bit obsessed with having the latest tech that it gets in the way. One of the main reasons I'm changing car this time is for the drive - the Macan drives so much better that after a few corners, you don't care about things like Head Up Display and Lane Keep Assist.

I Hope I feel the same way when it arrives.
2024 Macan GTS - Carmine Red
2017 911 Carrera GTS - Carmine Red
You could say I like Carmine Red
M30LEV

Post by M30LEV »

I am interested in the thread initialy started by Kiernan I am interested in how quick you manages to get a GTS order placed not sure if you had a cancelation slot. I placed an order/ paid my deposit in April this year for a Macan S which I didn't realy want until March 2024. I didn't go for a GTS because of the rediculous lead times but they seem to have come down a bit. After tweeking the S spec I am only 1.5k off a GTS so have a meeting on Thursday to see if I can change to a GTS. A current phone call hinted that all 2023 are allocated but looking at early 2024. They don't want to cancel my S order for a GTS just in case they can't get one and I've lost my S build allocation. Let's see what they say on Thursday. Interesting thoughts on GTS availability and delivery.
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Kiernan wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:40 am
Jobbo wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:15 am That’s a nice spec. I really like the red highlights against volcano grey and volcano really does look good on the road. It may be subtle but it’s a very nice shade.

Not really keen on Lane Keeping Assist. I had the Driving Assistant Professional packing in the X3 which included Steering and Lane Control Assistance and found it a bit of a pain. I used the adaptive cruise all the time, but the lane keep stuff was a bit of a toy. I'd switch it on just to see how it worked, and after it had guided me round a few corners on the motorway with my hand off the wheel (only kidding officer) I'd switch it off as I prefer to control the direction of the car myself. I understand that the system used in the Macan isn't as advanced as the BMW, so it's not really something I want to spend my money on.

That's one of the things that I'm going to have to get used to on the Porsche; the technology in the X3 was really good, and if you ticked the right boxes it could be one of the most advanced cars out there. The Porsche isn't in the same league, but I think we get a bit obsessed with having the latest tech that it gets in the way. One of the main reasons I'm changing car this time is for the drive - the Macan drives so much better that after a few corners, you don't care about things like Head Up Display and Lane Keep Assist.

I am not sure if my Audi system is the same as Porsche’s - despite being in the same group that’s certainly not guaranteed. But the Audi system is vastly nicer to use than the BMW one in an X5 I test drove. That actively tried to steer me onto the hard shoulder as I joined a motorway. Audi’s (and Volvo’s which I have used previously) is much subtler. I’m also only suggesting it for when you are in active cruise; it’s not something I’d want switched on otherwise as a ‘safety feature’. Again, I’m not absolutely sure if you can leave it switched off except in cruise control on the Macan, if you spec it.

However, having lived with lane keep+active cruise for about 30,000 motorway miles I’m absolutely sold on it now.
2023 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPMPKF77
Due 2025: Cayenne S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PRBH59L6
2023 Audi S6 Avant
Suzuki Jimny
Mini Cooper
GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Kiernan wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:40 am The Porsche isn't in the same league, but I think we get a bit obsessed with having the latest tech that it gets in the way. One of the main reasons I'm changing car this time is for the drive - the Macan drives so much better that after a few corners, you don't care about things like Head Up Display and Lane Keep Assist.

That's why I'm looking a Macan.....you have to tick the option boxes to get any of that gizmo tech rubbish, rather than it being default and can't turn it off, or have to turn it off every time you get in the ruddy car, plus I miss a lot of the driving element of the E82 135i I owned before the X5, but with my back injury etc., I simply can no longer get in and out of a low car, plus I do spend quite a bit of time going up rough farm tracks etc., so need something with a higher up seating for getting in and out, plus higher ground clearance/awd. The Macan seems the ideal car in-between my old 135i and my current X5.....plus its a Porsche 8-)

As for the driving assistance rubbish, I learnt to drive 40+ years ago, and there really isn't any of this crap I have yet to feel the need for. The reverse sensors/camera is the only thing I like, again, because of my spine condition, I can't turn my neck/torso so much now when reversing, but other than that, I don't have a need for any of it. I rarely even bother with cruise control, so certainly don't need the fancier version, and my X5 gets confused enough with its proximity sensors and thinking you are going to hit something when you are not that I loathe these stupid auto functions that will only encourage even more lazyiness at the wheel.