Another GTS on order

All your ordering information here!
wab172uk

Post by wab172uk »

Jobbo wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:15 am One think I wondered: did you not fancy lane keep assist? In conjunction with the adaptive cruise you have a more complete self-driving mode for the motorway. I acknowledge that I haven’t tried it on the Macan but I have the full assistance systems on my Audi and it makes motorway journeys very relaxing.
Everything about that terrifies me. If people can't concentrate enough to keep their car in the correct lane, brake when the cars in front brake or slow down, then I'm sorry, but they shouldn't be driving.

There are countless people now on our roads driving while doing anything else other than concentrating. Relying on the car to pretty much drive itself. And when it goes wrong, it's going to hurt. Probably more so to the poor sap they slam into.

Not having a go at you specifically Jobbo, but I just don't understand why people think these systems are a good idea. It just makes for poor driving standards. Which lets be honest, are getting terrible. How some people pass their test is beyond me.

MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

wab172uk wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:40 pm
Jobbo wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:15 am One think I wondered: did you not fancy lane keep assist? In conjunction with the adaptive cruise you have a more complete self-driving mode for the motorway. I acknowledge that I haven’t tried it on the Macan but I have the full assistance systems on my Audi and it makes motorway journeys very relaxing.
Everything about that terrifies me. If people can't concentrate enough to keep their car in the correct lane, brake when the cars in front brake or slow down, then I'm sorry, but they shouldn't be driving.

There are countless people now on our roads driving while doing anything else other than concentrating. Relying on the car to pretty much drive itself. And when it goes wrong, it's going to hurt. Probably more so to the poor sap they slam into.

Not having a go at you specifically Jobbo, but I just don't understand why people think these systems are a good idea. It just makes for poor driving standards. Which lets be honest, are getting terrible. How some people pass their test is beyond me.
I think the general idea of 'aids' such as lane keep assist is not to drive your car for you within the white lines but to correct you should you stray.

While I agree with you that people should be able to steer, brake etc etc. $h*t happens and sometimes they don't and accidents happen. If everyone drove, steered, braked perfectly there would never be any accidents
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

I've driven my wife's Juke on the motorway with the adaptive cruise/lane assist on , unless you indicate to change lane you have to fight with the steering , not the nicest way to drive.
Woodhouse

Post by Woodhouse »

Just tried out lane keep assist for 1st time and it happily let me drift over the white lines. ACC works fine though….
Macan S - MY23 - PRG1YBJ5 - (his)

F60 Mini Countryman Cooper S (hers)
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:34 pm .....unless you indicate to change lane you have to fight with the steering , not the nicest way to drive.
Hmmmm, wouldn't "the nicest way to drive" include indicating before changing lanes? You mustn't give us Porsche drivers a bad name! 😀
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Jobbo

Post by Jobbo »

Conversely, if your attention is more focussed on the cars around you because the car is driving for you, is not that a good thing? I must check my heart rate on my 70 mile motorway commute because I’m sure it’s lower with my current car using the mostly self-drive function than it was in the fully manual predecessor.

Doesn’t mean you have to use it. Anyone who uses cruise control can surely cope with turning on the active cruise with lane following. And not then be tempted to start doing the Telegraph crossword 😄
2023 Macan T - http://www.porsche-code.com/PPMPKF77
Due 2025: Cayenne S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PRBH59L6
2023 Audi S6 Avant
Suzuki Jimny
Mini Cooper
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

With you on this one. ‘Relaxing’ for most people means switching off, or thinking about other things rather than the driving task. More than 90% of collisions are due to driver error of one sort or another, poor attitude or inattention being high on the list. Computers will never fully replicate a reasonably competent driver. Why is it that the promised autonomous vehicle hasn’t appeared as predicted? It’s because manufacturers have realised not only how difficult it actually is to implement but also not being able to prove that they will kill less people than real drivers at the moment. No, most of these ‘interference’ features are a complete pain, bordering on dangerous in some cases, perhaps the only one of benefit might be autonomous emergency braking which can reduce the consequences of collisions.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MooseMiller

Post by MooseMiller »

As I said previously, these are driving aids to either warn you if things are about to go south, or, to 'assist' you to make your journey a little less tiring (got to be a good thing right?). They are NOT designed or intended to drive the car for you and if they are used as they were meant to be, they are IMO a good thing. Of course you cannot mitigate plain stupidity - remember the guy in the US who (allegedly) had cruise set on his RV and so went in the back to make himself a coffee while on the freeway!
Scooby_Doo

Post by Scooby_Doo »

Neil1911 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:01 am
Scooby_Doo wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:34 pm .....unless you indicate to change lane you have to fight with the steering , not the nicest way to drive.
Hmmmm, wouldn't "the nicest way to drive" include indicating before changing lanes? You mustn't give us Porsche drivers a bad name! 😀
There wasn't much traffic and the nearest car was about 300 metres behind me , so no indicators.
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Scooby_Doo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:36 am
Neil1911 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:01 am
There wasn't much traffic and the nearest car was about 300 metres behind me , so no indicators.
I knew that!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP