Order lockdown advice!

All your ordering information here!
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Before air was standard on the GTS the normal stance was 10mm lower than other Macan models. As I understand it there is no difference to the suspension components, the only difference between GTS air and Standard air is that the GTS in normal setting sits 10mm lower. This results in a higher compression of the air bladder which in turn stiffens the ride. If you drop both to low setting the standard will lower by 20mm and the GTS by 10mm. Both will be at the same lowered height and same level of stiffness. I believe this is how it works?
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

Jon A

Post by Jon A »

DJMCUK wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:26 pm
PorscheMack wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:07 pm
JDF999 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:26 pm Hey folks, allocation confirmed and final lockdown meeting on Thursday - came a bit quicker than I had planned!

Originally was planning papaya orange build....

htt/s:..conpguratorm/orschemco-./orsche£code.PRY3QPB5

Now having crisis of confidence and thinking something slightly more classic and classy might be better, Dolomite silver, however struggling with options

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR4B59V2

Questions:
- I would the full leather option for seats with the perforated leather look. Either 8 or 18 way not quite decided.
- I want to have red leather stitching inside, but I do NOT want - Red seatbelts and Red "GTS" on the headrests - it's just too much red for me! Prefer understated.
- I cant seem to get this combination using the standard configurator!!
- There's extended leather options in Papaya / Blue etc but the only way to get red is with the "GTS" options which puts red everywhere on belts/head rests etc.
- If you go further down the configurator there are options for deviated stitching in red under "interior trim" but it's a different red - guards red and doesn't give a "black extended leather" without it being smooth!!

So annoying, why not just have a standard red stitching option with the normal seats? Am I missing something????

Any thoughts on the 2 choices welcome!!

Thanks, JDF
What's your reason for substituting the GTS suspension for standard spec ?
Is it standard PASM he's changed to, from Air PASM?
That would be best for comfort but may hurt resale as most GTS used buyers expect Air.
Air PASM "bobbles" about compared to standard PASM. Few GTS buyers are brave enough, or don't know, to switch away from it.
No you can’t spec “no air” on a GTS I think. It’s either GTS air with PASM or standard air with PASM?? The difference will be ride height and (in my experience) a very small difference in stiffness.
718 Boxster - lava orange (2019)
992 C2 racing yellow (2020)
https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRIMAJB4
Ex - Macan S - Carmine (2022)
http://www.porsche-code.com/PNZVYTE0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Rather than faff around with the suspension, stick with standard.

Especially if it is not going to be a long term keeper.

Please remember it is a GTS, the sweet handling Macan and the standard setup is optimised to provide the optimum handling.

If you do not like the ride of a GTS, forget a GTS and go for an S, that way you will not get all the additional bling that is standard with a GTS.

OK the S engine is not as powerful as that in a GTS, but as the power of an S is the same as my old Turbo I can tell you it will be plenty fast enough.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
JDF999

Post by JDF999 »

Thanks all, as ever some great advice.

I’m still not clear with PASM;

Is it 10mm lower than the equivalent in all settings (comfort/sport/ sport plus) or just in sport modes?
UK Emergency Doctor
2024 Macan GTS
Dolomite Silver
CODE: PRIJCSM5
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

With a GTS it is lower as standard v a Base, T or S, irrespective of the PASM setting.

With having Air it also has the ability to raise the car for light off road use ie parking in a field or rough car park and it has the ability to lower the car further at least that is how it operates on non GTS Macans, mine lowers by 10 mm and as it happens it does give a smoother ride in the Low position. The Low setting is independent to the PASM setting or at least that is how mine works.

Take out a GTS demo car and play around with the PASM settings, what I often suggest is work out a circular route of a couple miles in the country and drive it in Comfort mode, then drive it again in Sport mode, then drive it again in Sport+ mode. You get the best benefit by driving over a mixed set of roads with surfaces from good to rubbish otherwise you may be hard pressed to notice much difference.

Then repeat using the Sport Chrono settings which are on the stalk.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

MikeM wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:57 am Before air was standard on the GTS the normal stance was 10mm lower than other Macan models. As I understand it there is no difference to the suspension components, the only difference between GTS air and Standard air is that the GTS in normal setting sits 10mm lower. This results in a higher compression of the air bladder which in turn stiffens the ride. If you drop both to low setting the standard will lower by 20mm and the GTS by 10mm. Both will be at the same lowered height and same level of stiffness. I believe this is how it works?
I’m still not clear with PASM;

Is it 10mm lower than the equivalent in all settings (comfort/sport/ sport plus) or just in sport modes?

A couple of things here:

GTS suspension is more than just the ride height. It has a more sporty dampner tune, stiffer anti-rollbar setup, and stiffer spring setup. You can read more about it here:
https://media.porsche.com/mediakit/maca ... nd-dynamic

To be fair, Porsche don't do a great job explaining this. But to be clear - this is a very, very large part of what gives the GTS than segment defining handling, control and "driving enthusiast" pedigree. It's what makes the GTS feel flat and planted through corners compared to the competition.

The GTS sits 10mm lower than the S in Sports and Sports+ for sure.

I am unsure about 'Normal' setting. ('Comfort' isn't a setting, it's either normal ride height or lowered ride height.). But I suspect it's 10mm lower than the equivalent S in this setting also - just from eyeballing the other Macans on my street.

And - as another point of clarification - both the S & GTS come with PASM. The GTS has a GTS specific PASM setup. So what you're talking about is not removing PASM but removing the GTS specific setup of PASM. (I don't know if that was clear but thought it was worth mentioning.)
Last edited by Plyphon on Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
Neil1911

Post by Neil1911 »

Deleted.
Last edited by Neil1911 on Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PP37WLA6, a Dolomite Silver S, collected from Stockport OPC on Valentine's Day 2023, after a 399 day wait.
Ex.: Gen2 S, Volcano grey 1/9/19 - 3/2/23 & 39,235 Smiles, RIP
Plyphon

Post by Plyphon »

Thanks, edited to remove that line for clarity.
Gen 3 Macan GTS: PPUAVS94
JDF999

Post by JDF999 »

Thanks for the last reply Plython - that’s the info I needed. JDF
UK Emergency Doctor
2024 Macan GTS
Dolomite Silver
CODE: PRIJCSM5
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Just a point about the difference in ride heights being quoted. The 10mm difference is between a GTS and an S with air suspension. The air suspension ride height of an S is 10mm lower than an S on steel (PASM makes no difference to ride height). Until Gen 3, the difference in ride height between a GTS on air and an S on steel was 25mm but the Gen 3 S standard ride height at 202mm is 3mm lower than Gen 1 and 2.

I always remember how noticable the difference was when I took a Gen 2 GTS for a test drive and it was parked alongside my SD.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel