Hey MacanArif any news of 991.2 GTS build slot?

All your ordering information here!
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Thought I'd check in as I've had this baby now just over a month.

Well the first thing to say is that it still makes me smile. I don't drive it every day as I have another car for commuting.

Call me sad but somedays I just look at it and admire it as you would a piece of art - with the 991 gen2 it's subtly been updated to make it look fresh without losing any of the 911 ingredients - the wide-bodied rear end is awesome looking particularly with the red strip across on the 4 wheel versions.

It has got all the usual ingredients of the previous 991 C4GTS I had e.g. all the black styling bits, turbo S wheels, noisier exhaust etc. So from that point of view it is similar to my last GTS.

The updated bits include the newer PCM which certainly is vast improvement on the last PCM and you get all the Connect Plus gubbins too. The interior is slightly different to the last GTS in that now you get a carbon finish as opposed to the brushed aluminium on the previous gen. i like the carbon as it fits in with the GTS theme. All the other Alcantara stuff is similar to the last GTS.

Ok so more about how the car drives and handles. Sports Chrono system is an improvement too as along with the usual Sport /Sports+ settings you also get the 20 second nitro button (or that's what I call it anyway) which gives you even crazier performance for a short period - awesome fun.

The ride and handling are typical 911 - the car goes in exactly the direction you point it in and you get the same back end twitch when you accelerate hard. The performance is stunning and when comparing it to the Gen 1 car it feels faster (on paper it is faster 3.6 vs 4.0 0-60) probably because you get more low end shove from the turbo charged engine.

I think there are a lot of purists out there that keep talking down Porsche for moving away from NA to turbos - having now driven both cars I can see the attraction of a high revving NA gts and the intoxicating noise at high revs but I think the current car feels more usable with the low end shove and let me say that it still sounds pretty impressive. I think Porsche have made the GTS sports exhaust sound more impressive then the standard sports exhaust on the S & 4S models.

if you think the purists also argued against PDK and to be honest I would always go PDK because it is such a fabulous box that changes gears so quickly - not sure why you would want to do it manually.

My view is that you have to move with the times and engines are going to be turbo charged in the future in the interests of emissions and efficiency.

I think this is a mightily impressive car and I'm happy I didn't over spec the car (I kept it to a sensible price i.e. base+8k) as I have everything in the car and hopefully this will help with residuals.

I'm looking forward to seeing Mel's targa GTS and comparing notes!

MacanArif2017-05-09 22:12:45
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S

jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Sounds awesome Arif...

http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

No need to justify going PDK and turbocharged. Just enjoy.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Nice review, Arif, and glad that you're enjoying it.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Arif, you should see a Doctor.

You have it bad, we can feel the longing and love you have for your baby in your lyrical prose describing your latest addition to the fleet.

Very pleased you are a happy bunny.

ps
What you placed a deposit for the next motor yet?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

Nice write-up Arif, glad you're enjoying yourself.

Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Sounds awesome
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Third stage

Post by Third stage »

Enjoyed the write up Arif. How long did you wait from the end of build date to collection. I know it varies but would be interested to know. My build date is finished on the 2nd June so just missed out on not having the price increase. Have the PEC trip on the 5th June so after that the wait will seem never ending
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Thanks Guys - it's interesting to hear some of the purists talk about how Porsche got it wrong with PDK and turbo charged engines and for many of them they've probably never driven one.

I probably do need to see a doctor - I've been thinking about what next (dealership know I want a GT car), but for the moment am going to enjoy this beauty.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Enjoyed the write up Arif. How long did you wait from the end of build date to collection. I know it varies but would be interested to know. My build date is finished on the 2nd June so just missed out on not having the price increase. Have the PEC trip on the 5th June so after that the wait will seem never ending

Hi Third Stage, my build date was 11th of March and the car was in the dealership on the 22nd of March. Took me a few days to get hold of it as if you remember Porsche had the whole problem of taxing the vehicle - WingCo & I were both delayed but managed to get hold of our cars before the 1st of April tax increase.

Looking forward to seeing your motor - have you posted your code?
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
Suzuki Swift Sport