GTS - All SeasonTyres ?

All your ordering information here!
VanB

Post by VanB »

If you get near the limits of the tyres' capabilities on a public road then you are almost certainly suffering a severe case of irresponsibility regardless of whether you have summer, winter or AS tyres fitted. Unless, of course, you are driving on ice or packed snow.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

VanB wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:28 pm If you get near the limits of the tyres' capabilities on a public road then you are almost certainly suffering a severe case of irresponsibility regardless of whether you have summer, winter or AS tyres fitted. Unless, of course, you are driving on ice or packed snow.
Yes of course, but as with all things Porsche performance related, its good to know we have the best available. I doubt I get any where near driving on the public road in hooligan mode as I did at the PEC in a GTS.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
VanB

Post by VanB »

Ah but you can't drive in PEC hooligan mode on the public road so I call BS on anyone who says they can tell the performance difference in normal, even if spirited, driving on a public road
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

VanB wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:08 pm Ah but you can't drive in PEC hooligan mode on the public road so I call BS on anyone who says they can tell the performance difference in normal, even if spirited, driving on a public road
I wouldn't be so sure, certainly have noticed difference between tyre brands on other cars driving responsibly.

Mixing brands front to rear can also change under / over steer characteristics.

Then there's performance under extremes; it doesn't have to be when you're driving irresponsibly.

Avoiding a child or an elk, going a bit fast into a poorly signed bend, we all make occasional mistakes which can be less dramatic if the car goes where you point it.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

VanB wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:08 pm Ah but you can't drive in PEC hooligan mode on the public road so I call BS on anyone who says they can tell the performance difference in normal, even if spirited, driving on a public road
Well, VanB, I can certainly tell the difference between the previous all weathers (only 4700 miles) and the new summers, even in less than 100 miles. Nothing 'performance' related of course but they seem quieter, the turn in and out of roundabouts is flatter and the car seems to have a better feeling/stance on the road in every respect. It could be my imagination but I prefer the way the have changed the feel of the car. I imagine the sidewalls are stiffer, the tread is flatter and the rubber compound harder, so it all ties up. Even at modest legal speeds, this is all performance related. If the moment ever comes that I need that extra 'N' rated performance, I'll be pleased with my decision.
John_M

Post by John_M »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:28 ambut they seem quieter, the turn in and out of roundabouts is flatter and the car seems to have a better feeling/stance on the road in every respect.
I wouldn't rule out that that is make related and not type related - on last car going from Dunlop to Pirelli (both similar summer tyres) there was less tyre noise, car felt more "planted" (but how much of that was road noise reduction ) and in past I have experienced similar going from Michelin to Pirelli
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

John_M wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:08 am
Bigboyrolo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:28 ambut they seem quieter, the turn in and out of roundabouts is flatter and the car seems to have a better feeling/stance on the road in every respect.
I wouldn't rule out that that is make related and not type related - on last car going from Dunlop to Pirelli (both similar summer tyres) there was less tyre noise, car felt more "planted" (but how much of that was road noise reduction ) and in past I have experienced similar going from Michelin to Pirelli
Yes indeed John, you are probably right, but I am now convinced that the summers (of any brand) are more suited to a Macan than all seasons. Not that my AS were poor in any way, more that summers are better, and after driving a GTS on summers at the PEC in winter and summer, I'm pleased with the change. If need be I'll put my fat soft 18" AS on for the worst of the winter months.
happy days

Post by happy days »

My last Boxster always had the original spec Michelin tyres on it replaced with the same tyres at about £500-£550 per axle set. However, when it came time to replace it with the 718, I decided to put on cheaper non N rated tyres as it was being sold. Legal, but not N rated. Big mistake. The handling of the car totally changed and became disconcerting even at normal motorway speeds. Tyres are the only thing in contact with the road, so their choice is of paramount importance. I firmly believe that different tyres make a car change characteristics and nowadays, I always replace worn tyres with exactly what the manufacturer specced when new.
Macan S D
718 S
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

The tread blocks on all season tyres are much more flexible due to the snow catching snipe slots in them. The more flex the less feel so naturally summer tyres with large contact blocks will grip the road more precisely. Some may notice this while others will not.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Rab J wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:28 am The tread blocks on all season tyres are much more flexible due to the snow catching snipe slots in them. The more flex the less feel so naturally summer tyres with large contact blocks will grip the road more precisely. Some may notice this while others will not.
Well said.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags