GTS - All SeasonTyres ?

All your ordering information here!
95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

Thanks all for the various input on our GTS spec so far

Will be joining #TeamRhodiumSilver...

One final query is All Season Tyres - I can't see this an option on the configurator for a GTS, but it is on there for SD for example, and I seem to recall reading threads where GTS owners talk about the pros and cons...

Two questions;

- have I gone bonkers and All Season Tyres are a factory fitted option on a GTS with RS 20s ?

- if they are an option we live in the South and won't be going off road (heaven forbid !) so its really down to the trade off between noise and low/normal temp performance I guess. Got to lock it down next few days so any thoughts on pros/cons - ideally from someone with a similar spec to ours (20s + Air) would be greatly appreciated.

95BFan

BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

I too live in the South East (Beds). I've got 21" and Air, All season not an option for 21" wheels.

I can honestly say I've never felt the need at all for AS tyres, been all through winter with mine. I sort of go off road occasionally (visit large construction sites). Summer tyres in my opinion are fine for our neck of the woods. In Scotland or Oop North perhaps, but down here, no need at all.

BigPhil
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

One final query is All Season Tyres - I can't see this an option on the configurator for a GTS, but it is on there for SD for example, and I seem to recall reading threads where GTS owners talk about the pros and cons...
Two questions;
- have I gone bonkers and All Season Tyres are a factory fitted option on a GTS with RS 20s ?

It's just that they are no longer an option, you'll get summer tyres. Probably because Porsche want to sell more winter tyre/wheel combos through Tequipment.
Should you want some all weathers on 18's for the winter, to keep those lovely RS 20's looking good, have look in the classifiedsWink.

Bigboyrolo2017-04-21 14:00:36
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

People get hung up on AS tyres, its not as though Summer tyres are going to loose all their grip in cold weather.

I have only had Summer tyres for the last 17 years andduring that time had zero issues.

AS are a compromise to far imho.

Far better to have two full sets of wheels one Summers and the other Winters if you are in an area where Winters are harsh.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

I've run winter tyres on my BMW for the last six winters and would have been perfectly fine without them except on two or three occasions when it snowed. They do stop better when it is wet and cold but a bit of forward planning should minimise that issue. My run to my rural studio is now on a gritter route so I don't expect to be getting them for my Macan.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

Should you want some all weathers on 18's for the winter, to keep those lovely RS 20's looking good, have look in the classifiedsWink.

GTS needs 19s
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

GTS needs 19s

Ah yes of course, that limits my market!
Nasher

Post by Nasher »

People get hung up on AS tyres, its not as though Summer tyres are going to loose all their grip in cold weather.

I have only had Summer tyres for the last 17 years andduring that time had zero issues.

Far better to have two full sets of wheels one Summers and the other Winters if you are in an area where Winters are harsh.

Completely agree.

Go for summers and full winters or just run summers all year. All season tyres are a compromise.Nasher2017-04-21 18:50:40
Petrol S - Sold
Turbo PP - Sold
Next - 718 GT4?
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

I have only had Summer tyres for the last 17 years and during that time had zero issues.

Completely agree.

Go for summers and full winters or just run summers all year. All season tyres are are compromise.

If you lived with my downhill drive and an uphill exit to the main road, you would see A-W's and/or winters in a different light. My previous cars were not able to go up or down, so stay under the car port even in light snow conditions. It may be different with the Macan, my 1st all wheel drive car, but would be too late to wish I had A-W's/Winters when I'm sliding backwards down the hill, as many cars do trying to get up it, great fun to watch.
95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

I too live in the South East (Beds). I've got 21" and Air, All season not an option for 21" wheels.

I can honestly say I've never felt the need at all for AS tyres, been all through winter with mine. I sort of go off road occasionally (visit large construction sites). Summer tyres in my opinion are fine for our neck of the woods. In Scotland or Oop North perhaps, but down here, no need at all.

BigPhil

Many thanks, Big Phil.

I have never owned a 4 wheel drive car and managed many southern winters (when did we last have any serious snow ?!) with just rear wheel drive and summers tyres...so reckon I'll brave it with summer boots !