GTS - All SeasonTyres ?

All your ordering information here!
95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

One final query is All Season Tyres - I can't see this an option on the configurator for a GTS, but it is on there for SD for example, and I seem to recall reading threads where GTS owners talk about the pros and cons...
Two questions;
 - have I gone bonkers and All Season Tyres are a factory fitted option on a GTS with RS 20s ?

It's just that they are no longer an option, you'll get summer tyres. Probably because Porsche want to sell more winter tyre/wheel combos through Tequipment.
Should you want some all weathers on 18's for the winter, to keep those lovely RS 20's looking good, have look in the classifiedsWink.

Thanks BigBoyRolo👍🏻

Reckon you might be right about Porsche encouraging an extra set of wheels and winter tyres.

I was sure the option had been there before. But no matter, will tough it out with just four wheel drive and normal tyres.

And if I change my mind it's not like can't trawl the classifieds for a full set like you say. Though quite where I would keep the spare set is another matter. Maybe with an old oak door on top in the lounge as a feature coffee table

95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

People get hung up on AS tyres, its not as though Summer tyres are going to loose all their grip in cold weather.

I have only had Summer tyres for the last 17 years andduring that time had zero issues.

AS are a compromise to far imho.

Far better to have two full sets of wheels one Summers and the other Winters if you are in an area where Winters are harsh.

Thanks and agreed Col Lamb. Thanks to other's replies/posts now realise not even an option.
95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

I've run winter tyres on my BMW for the last six winters and would have been perfectly fine without them except on two or three occasions when it snowed. They do stop better when it is wet and cold but a bit of forward planning should minimise that issue. My run to my rural studio is now on a gritter route so I don't expect to be getting them for my Macan.

Martinplant,

Thanks. I have only had normal (I guess summer) runflats on recent rear drive beemers. So maybe was being a pit paranoid checking re AS tyres on what will be my first 4x4 ! Was probably the lure of a free option !

Did invest in a set of Autosock Snow Socks which saved my bacon twice due to sudden snow - but not a frequent occurrence down here these days !
John_M

Post by John_M »

People get hung up on AS tyres, its not as though Summer tyres are going to loose all their grip in cold weather.

I have only had Summer tyres for the last 17 years andduring that time had zero issues.

AS are a compromise to far imho.

Far better to have two full sets of wheels one Summers and the other Winters if you are in an area where Winters are harsh.

I thought it was people got hung up on summer and winter myself.

Personally in last 20 years I have driven on summer, winter and AS - what I have noticed more recent summer designs appear to be less able to cope in snow because of change in tread patterns and they seem noisier than Winters and AS tyres. I never encountered a situation where the AS felt they weren't up to the job as well as summers would.

I have encountered a couple of times on summers where AS/Winters would have been less scary and a couple of times where I have not come off main roads to avoid traffic because I was running on summers and it was very cold.

All that said I have a set of Winters in garage that haven't been on car for nearly 3 years because living is South East it just hasn't been worth taking then somewhere to change them (trouble with no Jack on modern cars) so I wouldn't get hung up on not being able to get them, but would/have ticked the box if I could
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I've run winter tyres on my BMW for the last six winters and would have been perfectly fine without them except on two or three occasions when it snowed. They do stop better when it is wet and cold but a bit of forward planning should minimise that issue. My run to my rural studio is now on a gritter route so I don't expect to be getting them for my Macan.

Martinplant,

Thanks. I have only had normal (I guess summer) runflats on recent rear drive beemers. So maybe was being a pit paranoid checking re AS tyres on what will be my first 4x4 ! Was probably the lure of a free option !

Did invest in a set of Autosock Snow Socks which saved my bacon twice due to sudden snow - but not a frequent occurrence down here these days !

One more thing.

Comparing a Macan on Summer tyres in the snow and comparing Beamers and Mercs in the same conditions is a bit like comparing the Rolling Stones and Freddy and the Dreamers, one is brilliant and the other is good for a laugh.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
John_M

Post by John_M »

One more thing.

Comparing a Macan on Summer tyres in the snow and comparing Beamers and Mercs in the same conditions is a bit like comparing the Rolling Stones and Freddy and the Dreamers, one is brilliant and the other is good for a laugh.

Now you have me worried as it has only ever been stopping on snow down hill running summers that gave my BMWs any issue - mind you when I borrowed a 320d it would happily spin the wheels with a bit of damp so I expect a combination of non-run flats and x-drive makes a big difference
2japs

Post by 2japs »

Martinplant,

One more thing.

Macan S
Audi S3 x 2
Macan
Jag XF x 2
Audi A3/4/6 (C. Cars)
VW Golf/Passat (C.Cars)
Ford Cortina/Capri/Sierra(C.Cars)
Toyota Celica x2
Triumph Stag/ TR5(classics)
MGB
Austin 1300( first car)
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Just swopped from 20" full winters to summer 21"s and the difference is astounding.
The winters are super comfy soft grip in any temperature only reached -10 and an inch of snow this winter but the reassuring feeling of being prepared for such is priceless inmho

Summer tyres above 10 degrees feel twice as wide in the next 6 months..
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

Martinplant,

One more thing.

I don't I often say this, Col Lamb, but I did literally laugh out loud. Nearly a Shiraz on the sofa moment !

95BFan

Post by 95BFan »

Just swopped from 20" full winters to summer 21"s and the difference is astounding.
The winters are super comfy soft grip in any temperature only reached -10 and an inch of snow this winter but the reassuring feeling of being prepared for such is priceless inmho

Summer tyres above 10 degrees feel twice as wide in the next 6 months..

Looks like you live in Wales, jonmacan, so you are the sort of Macan owner who deserves a set of winters ! Bet you look forward to the snow ❄️❄️❄️ !