GTS - All SeasonTyres ?

All your ordering information here!
John_M

Post by John_M »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:46 pm
VanB wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:02 pm I'm surprised nobody has yet jumped on this topic to tell everyone that AS tyres are the invention of Beelzebub and anyone thinking of having them needs to seek therapy forthwith!BTW I have AS tyres and am a big fan so far
Well I've just replaced my all seasons (Goodyears) with new summers (Continentals). What a dramatic improvement. Every aspect is better, and they are so mch more re-assured when hooligan mode is switched on. I was happy with AS's as a concept until I did some 'sprited' driving, and their compromised qualities were all too obvious. If you just plod around you'll never realise, but if you want to chuck it about a bit, summers are so much better. I do have a spare set of wheels with AS's on and will fit them in the winter. I'll be going up some Tour de France mountain climbs in a few weeks time, so this change was essential.

If you have just replaced well worn tyres with new tyres - then you will notice a difference, you can also notice a difference between makes - I switched one car from Michelin to Pirelli (both summers and similar priced) and there was a huge difference in road holding. Pirelli were better on road but worn much faster

Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

John_M wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:18 am If you have just replaced well worn tyres with new tyres - then you will notice a difference, you can also notice a difference between makes - I switched one car from Michelin to Pirelli (both summers and similar priced) and there was a huge difference in road holding. Pirelli were better on road but worn much faster
Seems to be the eternal trade off.

I ran one car on some rather lovely Yokohamas for a while, fantastic grip but I got sick of having to book in new tyre fittings.

4k rear, 6k front on fast road driving.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

I'm still on my original Michelin all seasons, 27000 miles and still plenty of life left. I agree with Bigboyrolo, there limits can be reached if pressing on and I'm not talking about worn tyres. I think I'm going to try normal tyres when I change, my preferred manufacturer is Goodyear, it'll be a noticeable difference in grip I would think but will be interesting to see how long they last.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Do Goodyear do tyres with the Porsche N-marking?

I recall that one may have issues with trading in/selling on a Porsche without the N-marked tyres fitted... :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

John_M wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:18 am
Bigboyrolo wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:46 pm
VanB wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:02 pm I'm surprised nobody has yet jumped on this topic to tell everyone that AS tyres are the invention of Beelzebub and anyone thinking of having them needs to seek therapy forthwith!BTW I have AS tyres and am a big fan so far
Well I've just replaced my all seasons (Goodyears) with new summers (Continentals). What a dramatic improvement. Every aspect is better, and they are so mch more re-assured when hooligan mode is switched on. I was happy with AS's as a concept until I did some 'sprited' driving, and their compromised qualities were all too obvious. If you just plod around you'll never realise, but if you want to chuck it about a bit, summers are so much better. I do have a spare set of wheels with AS's on and will fit them in the winter. I'll be going up some Tour de France mountain climbs in a few weeks time, so this change was essential.

If you have just replaced well worn tyres with new tyres - then you will notice a difference, you can also notice a difference between makes - I switched one car from Michelin to Pirelli (both summers and similar priced) and there was a huge difference in road holding. Pirelli were better on road but worn much faster
John. I had done only 4700 miles on them but with a spare winter set on 18's in the garage, decided to change. I did some reading about NO tyres and wanted Hankooks or Pirelli but could not source the rear size, with a choice of Michelin or Continental and I took the Contis because of the better sidewall protetction for the wheel. Now they are on the car, I can see they are about an inch proud of the rim (19's) so very pleased, far less on the MIchelins.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:38 pm Do Goodyear do tyres with the Porsche N-marking?

I recall that one may have issues with trading in/selling on a Porsche without the N-marked tyres fitted... :geek:
Blackcircles list Goodyear Eagle F1 with NO markings. Pretty sure that's what will be going on mine but I definitely won't expect to see 30000 miles out of them.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:38 pm Do Goodyear do tyres with the Porsche N-marking?

The Goodyear Eagle LS2 all seasons that I just replaced were NO approved, not sure about their summer tyres though.

IMG_3368.JPG

Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

http://tyreselector.porsche.com/widget/gb both LS2 and F1 tyres are listed.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

I am sure the majority of Porsche owners will always fit 'N' approved tyres. This explanation of the reasons why is interesting. Longevity not a consideration!
https://youtu.be/fnBesGALwjk
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Interesting video. Thanks for sharing, BBR. Although I imagine that the majority of Porsche drivers don't get anywhere near the performance limits of the car, including maximum speed and g-forces etc. I note the US Parts Manager indicated that Michelin might be the choice for those who track their cars, and Pirellis should be fine for those who just pootle around :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018