Questions from a newbie!

All your ordering information here!
andreas

Post by andreas »

I'm just starting to look at getting a Macan, and I wonder whether you might help me please with some queries?

I started by looking at year-old Macan S models, naively expecting them to show some worthwhile saving from new price. However, it seems that Porsche dealers are listing one year olds at only £2-3K below current list (ie post the recent price rise). On that basis, it would probably make more sense to order a new one to my chosen spec. But I've rapidly discovered how much you can add to list prices with so many tempting options!

So, with a view to future resale value (and ease of resale), and trying not to bankrupt myself in the process, I'm currently thinking along the lines of:-

Macan S
Jet Black Metallic
Black standard interior
Standard 8/6 way seats
Front seat heating
19" Macan Turbo wheels
Bi-Xenon lights
Pano roof
PASM
Power steering plus
Park Assist with reversing camera
Roof rails aluminium
Auto dimming mirrors
Light comfort package
Driver memory package
Spare wheel

Does this more or less tick the boxes for "must have" options?

I rather like the two-tone Black/Luxor or Agate/Pebble interiors, but very few used Macans seem to have this - is it unattractive to buyers? Would it make the car tricky to re-sell in 5 years' time?

Is the BOSE speaker option really worth £800?

Finally, I need a towbar for occasional light use. Is the factory retractable worth having, or is it easy to add an aftermarket detachable towbar?

I'll be grateful for your thoughts.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)

Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Many on here recommend both smokers pack and heated steering wheel. Looks good otherwise though. Welcome to the forum btw.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
JonNic

Post by JonNic »

Welcome......

Regarding Bose, I was really torn, but ended up not ticking the box, and to be honest I'm glad I didn't. The standard set up is great and I don't think you'd see your £800 back.

Everybody's view is different, so if it adds any perspective I'm someone who spends a few quid on my home audio and headphones etc.
Final code : www.porsche-code.com/PHE4JHQ0
JonNic

Post by JonNic »

Also meant to say that in my opinion an aftermarket towbar would be a turn off on the second hand market.
Final code : www.porsche-code.com/PHE4JHQ0
notsomadmick

Post by notsomadmick »

Bose is a total waste of money. You basically gain a boom box that you have to fade out. The standard system is quite good enough.
At this price point, I'd definitely put some leather in this spec.
Otherwise it's good IMO.
911 SC Sport
986 Boxster S X2
987 Boxster
997 Carrera
997.1 GT3
Cayenne D
991 Carrera
Macan X 5 (SD X2 + GTS X3)
981 Spyder - current
Macan (GTS) baby number '6' born 09/17 in my ideal spec http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ4KEEA1
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

I test drove models with BOSE and bought mine with the standard system. The standard system is plenty good enough for me so I'm glad I spent the £800.......on a tow bar! The good thing about the tow bar is that it's retractable so you don't see it when you're not using it.

As for two tone interiors, they are much more expensive that single tone, so I expect that's why you don't see many of them on the second hand market. I have pebble/agate and love it.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Bose is good but as to being worth £800 only you can decide by trying a few of your favourite tracks in a pair of Macans, one with Bose and one standard.

The base 2.0 litre, SD and S are in reality stripped down cars with just the minimum of fitment inclusions. A test drive of a very basic Macan will still give the impression of a great performing and handling car, especially if you are not used to driviing this type of car. That said with the inclusion of some basic fitments the Macan is transformed into the supreme SUV in its class.

Only you can answer what you want out of your Macan ownership, but please if you are limiting the budget what you are going to spec please spec wisely.

My suggestion of the minimum fitments that I would include in any Macan is:-

14way seats .
Basic non GTS 8 way seats have a flat back and are not as comfortable as the upgrades, do test drive a Macan with 8 way if considering retaining them.

Xenon lights .
Basic halogens are questionable in their capabilities, most owners with halogens regret not upgrading. If funds allow LEDs are a quantum leap improvement over Xenons.

PASM.
Gives adjustable suspension which results in a smoother ride and better handling capabilities.

20" wheels.
A personal choice, 20" gives a good compromise on looks, handling and kerb management.

PS+.
Lightens steering load at parking speeds then progressively reduces to zero assist at road speeds.

Spare wheel.
Plus two cans of sealant / inflator gives options in the event of a flat and especially a damaged tyre/wheel.

Reversing camera.
Rear quarter vision is poor, to check out yourself in a test drive by parallel parking the demo car, if funds allow then Surround Camera is even better.

Interior light pack,
Replaces bulbs with LEDs for a more pleasing interior look and the all important illuminated mirrors.

Other popular extras are:-
Pano sunroof.
Tinted glass.
SD mirrors.
Colour matched sideblades.
Roof rails.
Heated seats.
Heated steering wheel.
Sports Chrono, gives dial in top centre of dash plus launch control and more aggressive gearbox and throttle maps.
Porsche Sports Exhaust, do note that PSE is an aural performance addition only and has no power increase benefits.
Leather upgrades.

***** The most important advice I can suggest is to test drive a Macan which has the same seats, wheel size, suspension and steering as you intend to specify *****
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MasterVolt

Post by MasterVolt »

the retractable tow bar is well worth it. probably one of the best value for money options
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHT75JR0
SAW

Post by SAW »

I know I am in a real minority but quality sound, be it just the DAB radio or my favourite tracks on my iPod adds to my driving pleasure therefore I am very pleased I selected the Burmester. The person who will be even more pleased is whoever buys my car and has all these extras for free (I know I will never see a return on what I have added ... PTV etc) but hey isn't owning a Porsche also about moaning at the options price!
The way I look at it, is my payment is cheaper than my neighbour's funding their daughter through University and I will have many more experiences then them over the next 3 years that I can remember all enhanced by my ticking the extras boxes.
Macan GTS MAR17 http://www.porsche-code.com/PHKXZIH5
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I think you have a good set of options selected.
Agree with comments above that not overly impressed with Bose system and opted with standard.

Test the seats and you are happy with the support and adjustability that you require.
GTS 😀