Surround view - views?

All your ordering information here!
EviL Ras

Post by EviL Ras »

Single best option we have on our macan! Especially in an underground car park like we park in! Gives you a GTA style overview of your car! its very clever!
Carmine and Partial Garnet GTS Delivered Jan 17' www.porsche-code.com/PHE2IGH7
Our collection video - https://youtu.be/B-HvzRYztqc

Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Paul, thanks for digging up that thread - v helpful.

Think I might ditch Bose surround for SV. Leaves some pounds to fund a little something else too.

Wise move! I test drove 2 Macans that had Bose and no surround cams. I bought mine without Bose and with surround cams. It was absolutely the right decision. The standard sound system is fine. Surround cams help with parking and driving in tight spaces. On the weekend I had to reverse out of a laneway with very little space on either side with things that stuck out in various places below the window line. The surround cams came into their own...
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
Steve G

Post by Steve G »

Ditto Goron's comments. One of the first options I tick on all new cars now
Agate Diesel S collected 24/09/15 www.porsche-code.com/PG15G8Y0
GTS collected 02/12/16 www.porsche-code.com/PHY8M365
718 Boxster GTS collected 26/04/18 www.porsche-code.com/PJFQYGN0
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Audi will be adding (alloy) kerb warning to their surround view before long, no doubt Porsche will follow.
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

My Macan SD had RevCam

My current Turbo has SurCam.

The difference between the two is like comparing Halogens to LEDs.

SurCam is so much better than RevCam.

As an old guy with back issues I cannot turn my head as much as I could a few years ago and as a result reversing is an uncomfortable process and with SurCam I can use it to see places that I cannot without a lot of pain.

Search out a demo Macan that has it and try some parking manoeuvers in the OPC car park, but do take time to learn and scroll though the available views.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Large stones sticking out of the banks in narrow lanes; those horrible extended kerbs around the entry/exit barriers in car parks; the dog in the driveway. Shocked Just some of the things I've managed to avoid thanks to the SurCam.

I'd find it difficult to be without one, now... And the dog thinks it's a "must have".. Big smile
Dolomite Silver Macan GTS Gen 2 (www.porsche-code.com/PLBT3XT5)
Rhodium Silver Macan GTS (sold)
Retired

Post by Retired »

Expectation Management:

As above it's a good thing. I've ordered it three times.

However:

The rear camera gets dirty quickly and easily. Simple enough to clean but a nuisance.

Calibration / synchronisation of all the cameras is required to deliver the various views. This has drifted on all of my Macans resulting in distorted representations of the real world. Not major but disappointing.

The image quality (clarity / resolution) is pretty poor in anything but well lit situations. Exacerbated by the fact that the rear camera is 'always' dirty. This, IMO, really isn't good enough.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

It took me a while, but I've now got in to the habit of wiping the camera lens on the boot when I set off.

Calibration isn't much of an issue as you always have reference points. The frustrating thing is that the side cameras are on the mirrors (rather than mirror mounts) so when you fold your mirrors to squeeze into some obscure gaps, the side views become useless.

Other than that, I'd like to see low-light cameras or spot illumination when in use at night. It's quite hard to see where a car ends and a curb starts at night on an unlit street!

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

My wife's little Mercedes SLC has a reversing camera which very cleverly folds away when not in use, this keeps it nice and clean. It's about the only good point I can think of about the car!!!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

The quality on the latest PCM seems better than previous versions (e.g. on the previous gen Panamera I tried). Whilst the calibration is not 100%, it is only the wing mirror cameras that provide the wheel view so that is consistent with itself!
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8