Surround view - views?

All your ordering information here!
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

I've specced my Macan S with the reversing camera option. I've seen that in action in a demo car and it seems good.
I'm now wondering whether the extra £500+ for surround view might be worth shelling out. I haven't experienced it, and the salesman at my OPC was a bit dismissive of it, but if it minimises the risk of scrapes, dents and wonky parking (not issues for me obviously, but I won't be the only one driving it...Wink) then maybe its a sensible upgrade?
I'll go back to the OPC and have a go in one that has it fitted but I'd also value opinions from you guys. So is it a real improvement on the reversing camera, is it easy to use and does it really help reduce the risk of expensive moments?
Thanks in advance.
pj191k89

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

No car option is worth the cost outside of cars, so you need to put that to one side!

Surround view is great. As you reverse into a space you can see the white lines and line up perfectly....you can see where the curb is.....etc.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Surround has saved my bacon a few times in very tight spots (carparks, tunnel entrances, train carriages). It's good value, I'd say.. Although you could spend the same on wheel insurance/body repair.

My first Macan had just reversing camera and I didn't hesitate to spec surround on the second one.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Paul

Post by Paul »

Those who've got it swear by it....I've "only" got the reverse camera but only use it for distance, ie the last 6 -8 inches where the sensors are full on but there's still a but more room before impact

I don't use it for parking as such, don't quite trust the lines etc and prefer my mirrors.

I think goron posted some good pics a while back of the screen view you get vs the reality...
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Thamaturge

Post by Thamaturge »

I have the surround option and it is great because my SD is garaged via a standard single up and over with next to no clearance for my car. The system allows me to see where the pillars, walls, etc. are and the rear camera allow me to squeeze a few more inches of parking space.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Those who've got it swear by it....I've "only" got the reverse camera but only use it for distance, ie the last 6 -8 inches where the sensors are full on but there's still a but more room before impact

I don't use it for parking as such, don't quite trust the lines etc and prefer my mirrors.

I think goron posted some good pics a while back of the screen view you get vs the reality...

I'm with Paul on this one. Happy with the sensors and a bit of input from the camera. The camera gives more confidence with reversing but to be honest, I would probably be fine with just the msensors. As with many options, those who have the, love them and swear by them. Those that don't, can't really see the point. A bit like owning a Porsche really!
Obebiker

Post by Obebiker »

I only have the reversing cam and find it works well...apart from getting mucky in winter. I wish i had at the very least tried the surround camera for myself, though I think it takes a bit of getting used to. I think I would add it given the choice again. I guess it depends the manoeuvres you might be doing, my work carpark has a really tight awkward turn with a wall on one side and the building on the other, for this reason alone I wish I had the surround camera. If you aren't parking in tight spaces etc much then the reverse camera is fine.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Found this...(OK so it was retired and not goron.....)

http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/surround-view-opinions_topic3441.html
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Surround view is very good. My wife loves it. I would always spec it on a new car but I have other cars without it and have absolutely no problems at all.

Just depends on where you are parking / driving.
If budget allows I would go with it otherwise you won't miss what you don't have.
GTS 😀
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Paul, thanks for digging up that thread - v helpful.

Think I might ditch Bose surround for SV. Leaves some pounds to fund a little something else too.

pj191k89