I'd appreciate some final moments input

All your ordering information here!
tunnyx

Post by tunnyx »

Hi all. Been monitoring the forum for quite some time and placed my SD order last weekend. I've made a final minor tweak or two tonight and I'm 95% happy with everything I've gone for.

That all said, i've still got 5% nagging at me and based purely on value that equates to £3000. When £3k is up for grabs, I'm on it like the proverbial 1800's lady's hatpiece.

So, here's my current specs. Any input welcomed, on anything I might have missed, or overspec'd, but note my reservations about a few add-ons below the spec - some things truly are superfluous to my needs

Cheers & appreciated all - you guys own your cars so please do tell me what you "wish" you'd decided to spec - invaluable to me at this last 24 hours before lockdown:

* Volcano Grey
* Black-Garnet Red two-tone leather (appreciate this is partial, but there's no other seat/footwell/doorcard combo I like/believe is value. The closest I came was pebble/agate with blue inserts but that ends up adding £3k and I still dont like the look of a brown dash. If it were a black dash, i'd pay the £3k in a heartbeat, but sorry, Brown? Porsche - sort this rubbish out and make the dash colour a simple option like the seat centres. You just balls'd up and missed my £3k Dr.Ferdinand)
* 18 way sports adaptive seats
* Entry & Drive. I have an X5 currently (with push-start) and simply cannot live with having to still a half-hundredweight of keys into a hole that will then stab and smash against everything in sight. Keys in pocket (or back seat) is a must
* Pano Roof
* PASM
* 20" RS Spyders
* Bi-xenons (standard)
* Dimming mirrors
* 18" collapsible wheel
* Light comfort package
* Seat heating (front)
* Smoking package
* Brushed alumin. interior package
* compass display (wanted to break up the large/flat dash, but can't justify the chrono on the diesel)

Cheers for the input chaps. I suspect some feedback on the following, and if so, bear in mind:

Cameras: I have an X5 currently which is 30cm bigger all round and have happily (in fact, ridiculously easily) managed perfectly fine reverse-parking with graphics based sensors. Its a big car but the height/visibility available makes parking a doddle. I have an E36 convertible which is vastly harder to park than a SUV with sensors. Honestly, its like we've all suddenly lost our eyes - come on peeps, its parking...

Privacy glass: Sorry, I'm not a drug dealer and my kids are 18 and 21, so I've nothing to hide on the back seats that anyone would want to even look at. Besides, I'm paying a premium for the interior, so why on earth would I then decide that I dont want others to look at it? Again, come on people & think logically....

Again, cheers for the input, genuine input's welcome & feel free to criticise my thoughts - maybe I'm wrong? I'd rather know if I'm just being stubborn on my choices - but do please validate your thoughts rather than just post "you have to have Privacy glass on a £60k car".... why? why must I have it?

Thanks in advance y'all

Mark

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome

Do read the sticky post in the orders section on extras to specify.

Your spec looks good, I also have partial garnet and it looks good but the plastic is finished in a different texture to the leather, I do not notice it but anyone OCD will.

Do search out Bazzas thread on car security, you may then change your mind on cars with entry & drive.

RevCam, have you tried parallel parking a Macan, if you have not then I suggest you do so, there is a huge blind spot in the rear quarter that make including RevCan a valuable safety feature. Before you start rubbishing my comment in a past life I was a Driving Instructor which means I can park a car far better than a vast percentile of drivers.

If you do a far amount of motorway driving and use cruise control you may like to consider ACC it orks great and includes PAS which is another great safety feature.

Finally the engine, the SD has a DPF unit that is prone to clog up and the car go into limp home mode if the driving style does not meet diesel norms. That is the engine gets up to temperature, primarily longer journeys with some journeys with an engine revs of 1500 or greater for 1/2 hour.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

You labelled bi-Xenons as 'standard'. If by that you meant you are taking the standard lights, then you'll get halogen. You actually have to spec bi-xenon. Have you considered the storage package? It gives you storage at the backs of the front seats, which is useful and looks nicer than the plastic backs and also gives you, albeit small, storage pockets at the front of the seats.

I have not used parking cameras before and only bothered putting rear sensors on one previous car, and I've owned much bigger cars than my Macan, so I can park. However, having test driven a Macan without cameras and one with them, I would not buy one without. I have surround cameras on mine and use them for driving through tight spaces as well as for parking. Visibility through the rear is poor, and the car is wide, so cameras help you to get as close as possible to the gutter without scrubbing your precious rims. They are a worthwhile investment.

I have privacy glass but my kids are half the age of yours. The advantage of privacy glass is that it helps keep the car cool on days like today, and it helps protect the interior from fading and cracking. OK, I grew up in Oz where it's more of a problem than here, so if you're not keeping the car for long then prolonging interior life won't be an issue for you. Ultimately it's up to you.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
LVision

Post by LVision »

Ditto Macandrivers comment about Bixenon lights, whilst I'm sure we all agree they should be standard am pretty sure they are not. I'd also steer clear of Entry & Drive on security grounds plus the dummy key in the ignition isn't brilliant.
Obebiker

Post by Obebiker »

I had entry drive on my last X3 and have it on the Porsche, it's handy and something I would opt again. All round Visibility is considerably worse than my X3, so it will probably be the same for the x5. The size isn't necessarily the issue, I have the rear camera and would consider this as a min, but would opt for surround view next time round.
Guy

Post by Guy »

LVision wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 9:48 am I'd also steer clear of Entry & Drive on security grounds plus the dummy key in the ignition isn't brilliant.
Surely you just need to invest in one of these high-tech devices! :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cover-Blocker- ... r+car+keys
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Guy wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:08 am
LVision wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 9:48 am I'd also steer clear of Entry & Drive on security grounds plus the dummy key in the ignition isn't brilliant.
Surely you just need to invest in one of these high-tech devices! :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cover-Blocker- ... r+car+keys
So you spend a lot of money on your Macan with Enter and Drive then hane to keep your key in a tin can, yep that makes sense.

To me its the fact that there is a dummy key in the car at all times that is a major issue.

It looks as though the car has been left with the key in the ignition, so some numpty might smash a window to get in thinking that they can just drive off.

Then there is the recent post on a person being dropped off only for the driver to later find out that the person who was dropped off had the key on their person.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Your spec looks good and sensible.
Going overboard will cost you on an SD but if it's a keeper spec exactly what you want if budget allows.
Either way your spec will be thoroughly enjoyable and imo the Best SUV of its size on the market.

The only consideration and concern I would have is Entry and drive from a security point of view.
On any car to be honest not just a Macan.
I am sure you have done your research but there is a very good reason why Range rovers in london all have a steering wheel lock on them. At the very least get a faraday cage / case to block the signal.
It does depend on where you live etc and where it is parked of course.
GTS 😀
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Regarding the "keyless" feature , this is personal decision and also probably depending where you live but I ve got a pragmatic approach on that one, more Macans will have it, more mine will be safe ... :-)

For the rest your specs look good and you will enjoy it.
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86
MartinRS2K

Post by MartinRS2K »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 8:20 am
Do read the sticky post in the orders section on extras to specify.
Has this been removed as a sticky?
Macan GTS collected 28/10/17 - Carmine Red http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ4B4758
991.2 GT3 Touring collected 24/03/18 - Carrara White Metallic http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ9T3NA0
997.2 GT3RS 2010 - Carrara White with Riviera Blue Decals and Wheels (Only 7,000 miles from New)