Bose - worth it over standard speakers?

All your ordering information here!
Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

I've driven with both and didn't think that Bose was worth the amount that is being charged for it. I'm happy with the standard system in my MY17 Macan. Mind you I've never had it loud enough to push it's limits. If you like it really loud you may feel that the Bose is worth it. As others have said, it's best to try them both for yourself.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016

sdgreenwood

Post by sdgreenwood »

Thank you all who have contributed to my question.

Decided to give the Bose system a miss and will listen to the engine instead :)

final spec below and due early September

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ28KXQ5

Si
GTS/Rhodium/Black-Garnet Red two-tone leather/21" black sport classics

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ28KXQ5
goron59

Post by goron59 »

sdgreenwood wrote: Decided to give the Bose system a miss and will listen to the engine instead :)
That's an angle I hadn't thought of. I got bored of the faked engine sound quite quickly and almost always turn PSE off, so having a decent sound system to listen to is a bonus :-)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

I tried both side by side and although I consider myself an audiophile could hear little or no difference. Bear in mind the head unit is the same in both systems. Garbage in garbage out etc. I'm getting Bose as standard but wouldn't pay extra for it.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

The quieter the car is, the better the audio will sound. On some UK roads, road/tyre noise is the loudest external sound, esp on concrete sections and any car sound system will struggle. If this can be reduced (smaller tyres) all the better. If you are a PSE fan with 21" wheels, sunroof open and without heat/sound privacy, I suppose standard will be fine. If like me you want to hear the detail in your music, then Bose would be a good choice. Burmester even better. As an aside, regarding road/tyre noise, I drove a Tesla S recently, and although it was almost silent in/out of the car park area, once it was on the open road it was at least as noisy, on its 21" tyres, as my Macan.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
SQ52GTS

Post by SQ52GTS »

Bazza06 wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 8:34 pm If you're driving a GTS you don't need a sound system. Just listen to the engine, it sounds fantastic :D

Often, and especially in Sports mode, I turn the volume down and listen to the noise being produced - and that's in a diesel.

Mind you, the screams of "he's killing us with all those fumes" does spoil the occasion :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2016 Sapphire GTS with 21 Black Classics.
2018 Sapphire GTS without Black Classics.
Mike993

Post by Mike993 »

Forgive my ignorance here, but is the Bose part of a Gen 1 audio system just the speakers, or is there a difference in the actual head?

Thanks, Mike
2018 GTS Jet Metallic Black with full black leather.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Different amp/processor fitted left hand side of boot. Here's mine:

(EDIT: On the earlier models, the subwoofer also had it's own amp strapped to the side (thus was an 'active' subwoofer). This amp was dropped in later models, at which point I think the main Bose amp changed (to add the sub amplification element) - I am not sure when this change happened)

IMG_3726.jpg

Guy

Post by Guy »

Here's a picture of the 'active' subwoofer - the silver amp module was dropped at some stage, leaving the sub to be powered by the main amp/processor.

active sub.jpg

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

goron59 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:24 am
sdgreenwood wrote: Decided to give the Bose system a miss and will listen to the engine instead :)
That's an angle I hadn't thought of.

I got bored of the faked engine sound quite quickly and almost always turn PSE off, so having a decent sound system to listen to is a bonus :-)
That is one of the truest statements ever made.

The PSE is a total waste of money for what in effect is a device that offers zero performance gain and its best feature is the off button.

It is a fake sound that drones very badly to an irritating level when cruising.

Bose

There was a difference in the standard audio and Bose in Gen 1 cars, the installed systems of both changed mid 2016.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags