Changing Spec Before Lockdown

All your ordering information here!
cheeky monkey

Post by cheeky monkey »

Has anyone had experience of late change to spec?

Just over a week to go and I want to make my one and only tweak.

Been told to expect a delay to build date.....

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

A week to go to what?

If its the build then yes a delay is likely.

If its a week to lockdown then, that may or may not affect the actual build, it all depends upon what is is and if its inclusion affects the parts supply at the factory.

I think that it is more important that you get you car as you want it rather than be too much bothered of a short delay in the build date.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

There's an older thread on this with the usual disagreements on whether it's a good idea or not from a delay POV :)

I didn't finalise my spec until a few days before lock and made over 10 changes in the couple of months leading up to it.

No delay - indeed I got the car about a week early.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

If you won't be happy unless you make a change and there is a delay so what. It was a different story when the new VED increases were due but that's irrelevant now.
Change what you want but make sure and double / triple check the spec as mistakes happen....and that really won't make you happy.
GTS 😀
cheeky monkey

Post by cheeky monkey »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:08 pm A week to go to what?

If its the build then yes a delay is likely.

If its a week to lockdown then, that may or may not affect the actual build, it all depends upon what is is and if its inclusion affects the parts supply at the factory.

I think that it is more important that you get you car as you want it rather than be too much bothered of a short delay in the build date.
A week to build freeze/lockdown.

It's a simple change of wheels.

It's a mid/late July build, with mid August delivery (although I'm collecting 1st September).

So, there's some contingency there...
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

A delay if it is just wheels should not occur.

That said last year Spyder wheels became unavailable from June to the end Aug, potentially I would have had to choose a different wheel but my build was a week or so after they became available.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

I was at the factory a few weeks ago. Deadline for spec changes was discussed. The tour guide told us that the factory need at least two working weeks notice in advance of the build date. As long as the OPC is prompt in communicating with the factory, two weeks is all the factory need. Having seen their 'Just in Time' working methods, I would suggest this includes the wheels. The wheels are built up elsewhere on the site as required by the orders, and delivered to the production line within minutes of being fitted. It's a 24/7 process.
Last edited by Bigboyrolo on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
cheeky monkey

Post by cheeky monkey »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:11 am I was at the factory a few weeks ago. Deadline for spec changes was discussed. The tour guide told us that the factory need at least two working weeks notice. As long as the OPC is prompt in communicating with the factory, two weeks is all they need. Having seen their 'Just in Time' working methods, I would suggest this includes the wheels.
Is that two weeks from build freeze date (13th June), or two weeks tom build completion date (24th July?
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

cheeky monkey wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:14 am
Bigboyrolo wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:11 am I was at the factory a few weeks ago. Deadline for spec changes was discussed. The tour guide told us that the factory need at least two working weeks notice. As long as the OPC is prompt in communicating with the factory, two weeks is all they need. Having seen their 'Just in Time' working methods, I would suggest this includes the wheels.
Is that two weeks from build freeze date (13th June), or two weeks tom build completion date (24th July?
A good question, as I understood it, and there was quite a discussion, the factory only refer to 'build date'. I suspect 'freeze date' is something the OPC uses to ensure finality of an order, probably not a bad thing if the gap between the two is not too long.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16