Potential new owner...

All your ordering information here!
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Thinking of becoming an owner with a car with this spec...

PJJGEYI8

Comments welcomed! For info, I am wrong side of 50, work in central London, won't be using it for the station, but will do 10 to 12k a year commuting to Derbyshire, Hampshire and other places. Mainly to be used for one or two (and a cocker spaniel in the boot if I HAVE to) but needs to accommodate daughter, son in law to be and grandson when required.

Also have access to a station car (aka jalopy) plus daughter has a 5 door Mini Cooper, son in law has a new model 530d MSport saloon and access to other stuff as he looks after company fleet.

The new car has to do the boring stuff but also make me feel good, it's my treat to me after a tough two years. I doubt I will use much of the performance much of the time but it's about sounds and sensations as much as speed.

First post so go easy....

Ian

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Welcome Ian and great spec. Love the colour but I am biased 😊.
Surround view is great especially with 21" wheels.

Consider sport design mirrors as personally I think they look nicer.
Power steering plus I would definitely add especially with 21" wheels. It will make parking much easier and lighter steering at parking speeds only.
Side airbags in the rear good option if carrying kids (just gives an additional level of protection).
As always it all dependant on budget so if you had to consider removing anything have alisten to the standard audio and Bose. Some (myself included) did not feel enough of a difference to warrant the extra.
Also sport chrono. Are you going to use it?

I see you picked piano black interior. That's a downgrade as aluminium is an extra on other models which is standard on the GTS. But if you prefer piano black then stick with it. No point having something that you don't like.

As you say it's not all about speed and the joys of driving it knowing it has it is part of the enjoyment.
Ohh and the noise is just beautiful.
Whatever your spec you will thoroughly enjoy it. πŸ‘

Enjoy the configuration. 😊
GTS πŸ˜€
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Thanks for the input.

Sports chrono - probably not but I like the clock on the dash. And it's there if I need it....

BOSE - only time I really listen to music is in the car. Used to paying for an upgrade so box ticked automatically, but will give the standard system a try...

Piano black - at some stage I must have had a car I disliked with a silver finish on the dash as I just don't seem to look at cars with it now. I do like black....

My biggest concern is seats. I don't live near an OPC and having just moved house life is very hectic..... so trying lots out is a challenge. I am 5'10" and about 16 stone, I normally shy away from anything with sport in the designation when it comes to seats! But maximum adjustment with memory is always very useful.... and if my daughter drives it (gulp..) she is 5'3" and about 8 stone!

I reckon I could spend forever debating my order and never get a car - how do you guys ever get a final spec? I have done the "keep it simple and down to Β£62k" idea, then the "you only buy once (perhaps) so get what you want" spec and now trying something in between. The only thing I do know is I don't want black wheels, won't pay for the GTS interior and won't have black or white paint....
Pete

Post by Pete »

The standard audio seems fine to me (and I've come away from an Evoque with a Meridian system). It's not as good as the Meridian, but not as dreadful as some reviews says it is.

With regards to seats, the 18-ways can be restrictive to those with a size like mine (I'm afraid of bathroom scales). The 14-way is very comfortable, and everyone else who's sat in them have remarked on the level of comfort.

When speccing up a new car, keep in mind how long you're likely to keep it - if you're the kind of person to keep cars as long-term, then make it your own. If you figure on trading it in after a few years use, then you'll lose investment on pretty much all of the options you pay for.

I agree that I'd add the power steering plus, it really is nice at low speeds. And I'd also tick the box for sports exhaust (as it's free) - you want sounds, so you may as well get them.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome to the club.
Agred with much if the above....I stuck with the standard GTS wheels (you could go for silver sport classics as a no-cost if budget is tight)
Pics of black aluminium in my signature - the piano black is quite shiny and does show sticky fingers....
I have the standard music system and find it perfectly fine, but then, radio 2 is my main listening......and the sports exhaust!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome

Spec is pretty good but:-

PS+
Spare wheel
ACC

Will make it better.

Do check out the 18 way seats via a long test drive, I am a three stone lighter than you but the same height and I find that the 18 way are very tight. Smaller people can have difficulty getting in and out due to the high seat bolsters so do have your daughter along for the test drive.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Isleaiw wrote: ↑Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:15 am Thanks for the input.

Sports chrono - probably not but I like the clock on the dash. And it's there if I need it....

BOSE - only time I really listen to music is in the car. Used to paying for an upgrade so box ticked automatically, but will give the standard system a try...

Piano black - at some stage I must have had a car I disliked with a silver finish on the dash as I just don't seem to look at cars with it now. I do like black....

My biggest concern is seats. I don't live near an OPC and having just moved house life is very hectic..... so trying lots out is a challenge. I am 5'10" and about 16 stone, I normally shy away from anything with sport in the designation when it comes to seats! But maximum adjustment with memory is always very useful.... and if my daughter drives it (gulp..) she is 5'3" and about 8 stone!

I reckon I could spend forever debating my order and never get a car - how do you guys ever get a final spec? I have done the "keep it simple and down to Β£62k" idea, then the "you only buy once (perhaps) so get what you want" spec and now trying something in between. The only thing I do know is I don't want black wheels, won't pay for the GTS interior and won't have black or white paint....
I definitely agree with the sound system upgrade and I always prefer a dark dash top as reflections annoy me. I simply can't drive with any folders or stuff on top of the dash.

I'm even bigger than you and found the 18 way seats on used cars really comfortable, they give a bit with age I think. Strangely my daughter is also under half my mass!

The Macan feels really cosy inside and quite a bit narrower than my current car.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Hi Ian and welcome to the Macan forum. We have been chatting over on F30Post.

Looks a nice spec you have put together but a few suggestions.

As Col has said PS+ is a nice addition and makes low speed manoeuvres easy. Also go for the spare wheel. I didn't do ACC and don't miss it with my driving.

I would save some money and drop the air suspension. I have 21s on steel and it's a great drive and that is me always driving in sport. I find comfort too soft so can't see air is needed on a GTS. Also I wouldn't upgrade the seats, I'm not small and about the same weight as you and the GTS 8 way are excellent. Remember on this forum you will read negative comments about the 8 way seats being rather flat but that is on the S and SD models, the 8 ways that the GTS gets as standard are different designs totally.

Also I know you don't like black wheels and I'm not a major fan of them either but did choose them for my car. Have you considered the titanium sports classics for your car, little bit darker than the silver you have chosen and would tie in nicely with all the darker GTS features.

Anyway get the order in mate, you can always refine right up to lock down date. You deserve a little treat for yourself!!

David
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Just to provide a bit more info on the buying process.

A fully refundable deposit is required to initiate the purchase.

The deposit will generate an invitation to Silverstone PEC where you get to try out the variant you have placed a deposit on. So please search out PEC posts for more info.

Spec lockdown is some 6w prior to the 3 day build.

The time from the factory compound to the OPC is within 7-30 days.

The wait period could be the key for you, ringing around a few OPCs may find you an earlier build if that is what you want.

Do ask the SE what is the expected wait period as it currently stands.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Oh and do the black aluminium inside. It's free and really easy to keep, looks very classy.