Petrol S or GTS - discuss

All your ordering information here!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I've about 18 months left on my current deal so, with waiting lists in mind, I am looking ahead to the next one. I'm currently thinking either another petrol S or a GTS - both specced, as near as poss, with the same toys. So, ignoring the fractions of a second in acceleration, which way to go? The GTS would be about £4K more but is it worth it and and if so, why? Also, if it's a GTS, is Chrono an expected/essential option?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

I am about to firm up my order for a Macan. Whilst I favour the diesel for the low down torque and mpg, I have also priced up an S and a GTS in case, prompted by the current furore, I make a late decision to go that way.

I am very surprised by the results of the petrol cars. I would be going for a high spec car with, for example, air suspension, LED lights, surround view and 14 way seats and Carmine red bodywork. Obviously, the GTS starts out at a higher list price but it comes with many of the goodies either included or at a lower option price. At the end of my 3 year PCP plan, the residual value of the GTS is £5,557 greater than the S. Largely as a result of this, the monthly payments on the GTS are £648.50 per month versus £642.83 for the S, although the deposit on the GTS would be £1,602 higher at £16,278.

Based on these figures, I don't really understand why anyone would go for the S rather than the GTS: it's a no-brainer.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Mike, if you have not already done so do have a test drive of a GTS, then drive the same route imediately afterwards in your S for a back to back comparison.

Whilst I have not driven a GTS I have driven a Turbo PP which has the same suspension setup.

The handling of the T PP was markedly better, the ride quality around the PEC when not thrashing the car was very smooth even on 21" rims.

It all depends upon what you want in a Macan!

SC is not essential in any Macan, whilst I have it in my Turbo I find that the Sport setting is more than enough, put it into S+ and everything becomes a little rough around the edges on normal road use with a very sensitive throttle and a gearbox map the same difference as their is between Comfort and Sport modes. SC is fun in the twisties if you are in the car by yourself but it is not a setting that I would use with passengers especially those with back issues.

When the GTS came out I looked at getting one but by the time I configured it the cost came in at £68k and I then found that got £6k more I could get a Turbo, it was then a no brainer and my Turbo is not exactly base spec as you can see below.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I guess I'm probably looking for affirmation, Col. When I saw the figures on the confuserator the relative difference surprised me. I must admit that Im a little concerned about the ride in view of Mrs Ds back but if I were to go with Air as we have now it should cover all bases. As you say the only way is to test. As for the residuals, thanks derekm, its the sort of information I was hoping to receive.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

I've been toying with going GTS rather than S. The lockdown date on my S is 2 weeks away.

But I'm a cash buyer and I intend to keep it. The equivalent GTS with my chosen S options included would be about £5k more and I'm not sure I'll see that coming back to me when I do eventually move it on. So I see derekm's point re the PCP residual value, but its not such a no-brainer when it comes to an old-fashioned cash purchase and a long-term keeper.

Obviously that's just the financial aspect. I'm fully aware there's the GTS vs S enjoyment and fun aspect too. Which is why I haven't ruled anything out with 2 weeks to go...
pj191k89
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Nobleman wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:59 pm I've been toying with going GTS rather than S. The lockdown date on my S is 2 weeks away.

But I'm a cash buyer and I intend to keep it. The equivalent GTS with my chosen S options included would be about £5k more and I'm not sure I'll see that coming back to me when I do eventually move it on. So I see derekm's point re the PCP residual value, but its not such a no-brainer when it comes to an old-fashioned cash purchase and a long-term keeper.

Obviously that's just the financial aspect. I'm fully aware there's the GTS vs S enjoyment and fun aspect too. Which is why I haven't ruled anything out with 2 weeks to go...
Have you confirmation from your OPC that if you switch that there will be no delay?

OPCs are not allocated Macans, they are allocated Macans by numbers of variants x SD, y S, z GTS etc.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

It depends what the GTS has that you didn't spec on an S and whether or not you want/are prepared to pay for those extras. Like Sports exhaust, black spyders, different styling etc. If there are a lot of these things then it depends on your view of the economics of it. Views of that will differ on here and you will need to polish your crystal ball if you are to see clearly into the future. And of course, whether you like the GTS look with its black wheels etc.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

If you want the options that a GTS has or discounts, then it is a no-brainer.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

We had the very same dilemma, went for GTS better value if you are taking the same options and it also sits a tad lower.

Best car I (we) have ever owned
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

When I was buying I didn't for one moment consider a petrol S, briefly considered an SD but then jumped straight into ordering a GTS. Can't see why anyone would buy an S unless a very low specced car.