Environment (Umwelt) Zone permit - Factory Collections

All your ordering information here!
Beausoleil100

Post by Beausoleil100 »

I wonder if anyone can help me. A niece and I plan to order cars for Factory Collection next year. We hope to be able to coordinate it so that my car can be collected in Leipzig followed by hers in Zuffenhausen following a few days in Austria.

My question concerns the environment sticker (called an Umwelt-Plakette, I believe) required to enter certain German cities. Since Zuffenhausen is itself inside Stuttgart's Umweltzone, I assume her car will come with the necessary sticker (Although I would appreciate if someone could confirm that this is by default). However I'm not as confident about my car, since Leipzig is not, as far as I'm aware, an 'Environment Zone'.

An Umwelt-Plakette can take up to 30 days to arrive by post and only costs a few euros, but they need things like the cars' registration numbers, VINs and scanned images of the registration documents, none of which, I assume, will be available to us until we arrive in Germany. The same lead time exists for a similar scheme in Paris and a couple of other French cities. Although our current plans can circumvent the Paris ' Crit'Air' Zone, for the few euros a French 'Vignette' costs, I would also like to buy these in advance as a precaution.

So my questions are: 1. Does Porsche automatically supply Umwelt-Plakettes, or 2. Do they provide sufficient information and documentation to order one myself more than 30 days in advance of the collection date(s). Alternatively, is there some kind of exemption (though I consider this unlikely and it probably wouldn't extend to France).

I was to trawl through some members' Factory Collection photos for evidence of Umwelt-Plakettes but that still would not answer my question. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me any info.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome

Ask your SE to investigate, I would also ring Porsche HQ in Reading and ask them the same question on the basis as two answers are better than one.

Even Porsche HQ in Germany will have English speaking people who could help if you ring them.

Good luck.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

IMG_8661.jpg

Beausoleil100 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:38 pm

My question concerns the environment sticker (called an Umwelt-Plakette, I believe) required to enter certain German cities. Since Zuffenhausen is itself inside Stuttgart's Umweltzone, I assume her car will come with the necessary sticker (Although I would appreciate if someone could confirm that this is by default). However I'm not as confident about my car, since Leipzig is not, as far as I'm aware, an 'Environment Zone'.

So my questions are: 1. Does Porsche automatically supply Umwelt-Plakettes, or 2. Do they provide sufficient information and documentation to order one myself more than 30 days in advance of the collection date(s). Alternatively, is there some kind of exemption (though I consider this unlikely and it probably wouldn't extend to France).
I wouldn't expect an SE to know or even be bothered to find out. I did a factory tour in May. The security gate staff and hosting staff all spoke perfect English, they also told me that customers with orders placed could always call the factory for advice & info. It's one thing for these staff to say 'call us' but who to call is problematic. With something like this I would do it myself, less chance of mis-understandng. There is an OPC just outside the factory, they would probably know more about this, give them a call. The info below is from their website, http://www.porsche-leipzig.de/.

Porsche Zentrum Leipzig, Porsche Niederlassung Leipzig GmbH, Poststraße 7, 04158 Leipzig

Telefon: +49 341 91936-0 , Telefax: +49 341 91936-24 , E-Mail: info@porsche-leipzig.de , Deutsch, Englisch(en) & Französisch(fr)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Guy

Post by Guy »

And if it doesn't come with a sticker, just drive to one of these and pay €6 http://www.tuev-sued.de/auto_fahrzeuge/ ... nd/england

I wouldn't worry too much unless you park up in a public place in the zone. There is no automated detection.
Beausoleil100

Post by Beausoleil100 »

Thank you Col Lamb, Bigboyrolo and Guy for answering so quickly, especially for all the contact info. We will be staying in Stuttgart overnight on the day before the Zuffenhausen collection - maybe at the Graf Zeppelin by the train station or the Arcotel Camino on Heilbronner Strasse, otherwise I might be tempted to take the risk if the process proves a hassle. Maybe I need to find out if I can still get fined if parked in a hotel car park.

I'll start by calling Reading. Mine can't be an unusual problem; presumably others have made their way with their new cars from Leipzig to Stuttgart, if only to visit the museum. I will also be calling Leipzig for confirmation, though I expect the Collection Centre to give a more reliable response than the local OPC.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Beausoleil100 wrote:Thank you Col Lamb, Bigboyrolo and Guy for answering so quickly, especially for all the contact info. We will be staying in Stuttgart overnight on the day before the Zuffenhausen collection - maybe at the Graf Zeppelin by the train station or the Arcotel Camino on Heilbronner Strasse, otherwise I might be tempted to take the risk if the process proves a hassle. Maybe I need to find out if I can still get fined if parked in a hotel car park.

I'll start by calling Reading. Mine can't be an unusual problem; presumably others have made their way with their new cars from Leipzig to Stuttgart, if only to visit the museum. I will also be calling Leipzig for confirmation, though I expect the Collection Centre to give a more reliable response than the local OPC.
I stayed in the Arcotel Camino just a few weeks ago. They have a forecourt parking area and also and underground car park. I'd be incredibly surprised if anyone wandered into there to check for Umwelts. It was a nice hotel and would recommend it. A shortish walk into the centre for restaurants etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Beausoleil100

Post by Beausoleil100 »

Hawkeye wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:42 pm
I stayed in the Arcotel Camino just a few weeks ago. They have a forecourt parking area and also and underground car park. I'd be incredibly surprised if anyone wandered into there to check for Umwelts. It was a nice hotel and would recommend it. A shortish walk into the centre for restaurants etc.
That's good to know. It wasn't obvious where I would park from Google Maps. Unless getting the Umwelt-Plakettes is really straightforward I may just take the risk. Thanks for the info.
missile

Post by missile »

When I visited the Porsche factory I had the sticker, but many of our group did not. No one seemed to check or care.
Beausoleil100

Post by Beausoleil100 »

That's interesting, thanks. To be honest we'll be driving one car into Stuttgart on the most direct route from Tyrol, Austria, parking overnight at a hotel, then driving to the factory to collect the second car before heading straight to France (Strasbourg). So I'll probably not bother with the stickers and, if challenged, plead ignorance. I would be disappointed if there was not one on the car collected in Stuttgart, however.

It may become moot anyway; I have a sneaking suspicion they might restrict factory collections to Leipzig even when they finish the new production line in Zuffenhausen.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Beausoleil100 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:43 pm That's interesting, thanks. To be honest we'll be driving one car into Stuttgart on the most direct route from Tyrol, Austria, parking overnight at a hotel, then driving to the factory to collect the second car before heading straight to France (Strasbourg). So I'll probably not bother with the stickers and, if challenged, plead ignorance. I would be disappointed if there was not one on the car collected in Stuttgart, however.

It may become moot anyway; I have a sneaking suspicion they might restrict factory collections to Leipzig even when they finish the new production line in Zuffenhausen.
I bought a stcker, from the Website, €32 for 3 days in and around Stuttgart. I phoned the hotel and they said I would need it for their area (Gerlingen). If here again I wouldn't bother, even if stopped, and thete are lots of polce about, as you say I think we could plead ignorance .
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16