I've done it - order placed

All your ordering information here!
Marra

Post by Marra »

I placed my order and paid the deposit yesterday on PJDT8781 Many thanks to all on the forum for the advice and guidance, generally and specifically on my previous post. I may have a small tweak on the spec but my budget is about maxed out - I may add the speed limit display feature.

The biggest cause for head-scratching has been the inclusion of PASM - the confusion arises from the fact that during the test drives that I've had, I have much preferred the ride on the "comfort" setting - something is nagging me to include it though.

Expected delivery is January which quite suits me, more time to save up :)

Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Looks good. Great spec at a sensible price. And in the fastest colour too!
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Good news Marra and welcome. I know what you mean about PASM when you do a test drive. I went for it over the Air option and now leave it in the first light PASM setting for most journeys. It's a good compromise between the Comfort and Max settings. Well for the C, B and A roads that I mainly travel on. The Max setting is great though if you're solo and in a hurry on a twisty road. Overall the Macan S rides really well and comfortably. It certainly soaks up bumps and pot holes better than the previous Merc and BMW cars that I've owned.

I would not be without the Speed Limit Display in 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 mph UK. It saves so much anxiety in recalling which one you're in at any given point of the journey, especially on roads you travel infrequently.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Congrats.

To clarify PASM, your Comfort setting is a PASM setting.

PASM effectively has three modes; Comfort, Sport and Sport+.

No PASM gives a firm ride slightly firmer than you will find in Sport mode when cornering hard in a car fitted with PASM.

PASM works all the time in all modes, even in a straight line Sport mode with PASM will give a softer ride than a non PASM car and when you turn into a corner and the PASM system will stiffen the suspension to suit the road conditions, this is something a non PASM car simply cannot do.

The suspension in a non PASM car is setup to be a "one size fits all" compromise.

Tick the PASM box.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Marra

Post by Marra »

Thanks for that Col - I wasn't aware of this, certainly more information than the sales guy gave me, I probably didn't ask the right questions.

The PASM box will remain ticked!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Not sure if the suspension will be softer or harder with and without PASM; I don't think the springs are different?
What PASM does do is keep the car a flat as possible, minimising pitch and roll by varying the damper resistance on each corneraccordingly.
My first SD had normal suspension and it was a regret of mine; not an uncomfortabe ride by any means but when pushing on, the diving under braking and roll through the corners would have been reduced by PASM.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Paul wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:13 pm Not sure if the suspension will be softer or harder with and without PASM; I don't think the springs are different?
What PASM does do is keep the car a flat as possible, minimising pitch and roll by varying the damper resistance on each corneraccordingly.
My first SD had normal suspension and it was a regret of mine; not an uncomfortabe ride by any means but when pushing on, the diving under braking and roll through the corners would have been reduced by PASM.
I certainly noticed the harder ride quality on the no PASM S that I drove.

On an uneven road it skipped, thumped and bumped, overall not a pleasant ride at all.

PASM does not just work when cornering, it works all the time. On an uneven road surface PASM will sense the undulations and compensate with the dampers, hence the car will maintain its composure and the body will not move about as much as a non PASM car will do.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Need to put things a bit into perspective Col; even a non PASM Macan doesn't "skip, thump and bump" on uneven sufaces (well, mine didn't to the best of my recollections over 9000 miles) and is, relative to most other SUVs on the road today, quite a pleasant ride actually.

I fully understand that PASM works all the time (I had thought that was what I said in my previous post)

We both agree that a PASM equipped car will handle better than a standard sprung vehicle.

My query was the substance behind the affirmation that the spring rate was different between PASM and non-PASM cars?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Paul wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:05 pm My query was the substance behind the affirmation that the spring rate was different between PASM and non-PASM cars?
It would be interesting to know if they do spec the same spring rates for PASM equipped cars. I could imagine that they may possibly spec slightly softer springs/ARBs to work with the adaptive damping, but I doubt it. I expect they just fit the adaptive dampers and the springing remains the same. Obviously still affects ride quality (and perception of springing) as the dampers are contributing actively to transient suspension forces.
martin5789

Post by martin5789 »

Congrats that looks like a good spec and you've managed to be more restrained than I was when ticking boxes. We find PASM in comfort mode a but floaty with Mrs P complaining of car sickness. So the car lives in PASM sport, at least until I've done a few more miles and press the Sport+ button for the first time!

To a large extent it depends what you are coming from - even in sport mode the ride in ours is so much nicer than our former BMW with M Sport suspension and run flats.
Sapphire Blue Turbo collected 30th June 2017
Spec: http://www.porsche-code.com/PJBJQLD0 Photos: https://adobe.ly/2txMYjS
Others: BMW R1200GS | BMW E46 M3 | 987 Boxster S