Macan Petrol S vs Macan GTS

All your ordering information here!
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

We faced the same decision when we were looking.
What i did was Spec an S and also spec a GTS. The GTS was only a little more and i added many items on the S which was standard on the GTS.
We went GTS. Also managed to get a build slot and all delivered in under 4 months for the GTS and the S had a 12 month wait.

Use Porsche configurator and spec an S and a GTS and post the codes and that will give a better idea based on what you want.

I felt the almost £20k of extras on an S very excessive and the £11k on a GTS was more reasonable... :shock:
GTS 😀

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Two things are becoming apparent is those choosing the GTS; heavily sports orientated extras and waiting time.. And I suspect the shorter waiting time is the major factor.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The dilema will continue.

Decide on a GTS then add a few more Extras and you are then in Turbo territory.

I spec'd a GTS but then found that a Turbo was not that much more.

No regrets buying what I did.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

Again it comes back to what do you want. I dont need and will never use the performance of any of the models. For me its about the feel, the noise, the look, and I go straight to the GTS when I think of what I want from my car. I think it comes back to first seeing a GTS - changed my views on the car, was never that fussed about a Macan before.

To be honest, there are many other cars out there that do what i need just as well, if I take the emotion out of the decision then I wont be buying a Porsche at all...
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

It would be S or Turbo for me. I can see the attraction of the GTS for those who like the look and big wheels and would have optioned an S to closely mimic the GTS anyway, but I would personally opt for either the more subtle S with very similar performance or the Turbo with serious grunt. The options I wanted would have been mostly extras on the GTS too, so doesn't make sense for me. Also didn't actually want big rims or a sports exhaust.

So really comes down to what options you would choose on an S vs a stock GTS. For some it makes sense to go GTS, for others not.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Dandock wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:05 am
Right now I'm going to stick with the S. And the biggest factor in reaching this point is my natural antipathy to the GTS's predominantly black scheme. If there was as much visual freedom as there is for S then it would make my decision a whole lot harder. As for the retained value this remain to be seen and achieved. I appreciate the rationale that options do not retain as much as standard elements but I think that an S with those certain desirable extras will always be desirable.
Dandock, I'm with you on this topic, I prefer the body coloured spoiler on an S and the shiny window trim, I doubt I would notice the extra 20 horses, would hardly ever use the Sp Ex but might like the lower stance and slghtly better handling. Although now I have my wheels in VG to match the car, I like the aggressive look.I took a cancelled order for an S to beat the VED rise then cancelled my delayed GTS order. 5000 miles today and no regrets. Only one extra I should have ordered - white dials - so I could see them. With Air, Pano, LED's and Leather as my main options, I hope they will help residual value if I upgrade to the facelift model.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

It has been frequently said that the GTS is the model with the best handling (at least until the PP came out) but for me its the whole look of the car that matters most and the part of the car that we see by a far amount is the view from the drivers seat.

If I wanted a black van I would have bought a black van.

I love the contrast of the bright trim on my Met Black Macan.

It is what you see inside that is for me the primary factor in deciding what I want.

To me the worst aspect of the Turbo is the headlining which is the material Alicante or Alcantara or whatever that damn stuff is called, I can live with it as a headlining thanks to the Pano.

It gives me the same cringe factor as fingernails being dragged down a blackboard, I hate the stuff yet the GTS is full of it and one of the cars I drove at the PEC had a steering wheel covered in the stuff, it felt awful.

I agree with what was written earlier, GTS lead times being way less than an S no doubt have a great deal of influence in the variant decision.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I think age of owner is also a factor in what people choose. The Macan has a wide age range of owners, possibly moreso than many other cars. Hence while shall I say an older person may spec a petrol S with little or no options or have a dislike to the sportier black tones of the GTS.

We all pay our money and make our choice.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

MCDK wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:22 pm I think age of owner is also a factor in what people choose. The Macan has a wide age range of owners, possibly moreso than many other cars. Hence while shall I say an older person may spec a petrol S with little or no options or have a dislike to the sportier black tones of the GTS.

car2.jpg

Very true with the age i am sure. Quote "The Macan has a wide age range of owners, possibly moreso than many other cars"

But you can make a GTS look less sportier toned (aggressive). or at least i think so....
Last edited by Kasfranks99 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTS 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

MCDK wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:22 pm I think age of owner is also a factor in what people choose. The Macan has a wide age range of owners, possibly moreso than many other cars. Hence while shall I say an older person may spec a petrol S with little or no options or have a dislike to the sportier black tones of the GTS.

That is not the case in fact it is nowhere near so.

It is not a dislike of the black tones, and in any case what on earth does a black window surround have to do with being Sporty? It is the lack of choice.

The older person is in fact more likely to spec more options because
(1) we can
(2) we want the comfort and nice to have extras that make the Macan our desired motor
(3) we want to choose precisely what we want and not be dictated to
Col
Macan Turbo