Macan Petrol S vs Macan GTS

All your ordering information here!
DandyDon

Post by DandyDon »

I'm currently running a Macan S Petrol but looking to change it out in March next year for another Macan. For those who have moved from a petrol S to a GTS did you think it was worth it and why? On the face of it the increased HP doesn't look to be that much. Is it really that much better....or worse?

Isleaiw

Post by Isleaiw »

I guess the starting point is how do you drive, what do you want out of a car and how many of the standard bits on a GTS would you spec on an S...

GTS on order here - because when I specced both cars as I would have them the GTS wasnt much more and I think it will hold on to at least that much more value in residuals.

I dont think I even considered the extra HP...
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

From someone with an S who wanted a GTS, I don't think handling and modest power differences in real world driving are that significant. A GTS with my S spec would have been over £5k more, quite affordable and with Sp Exh which I'm not bothered about, nor the black spolier. My S is a good compromise, if that's the right adjective for the best SUV available today. I suspect a Turbo PP is what most of us would like, now that would be a significant advance over an s.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
spook

Post by spook »

Isleaiw wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:58 am
GTS on order here - because when I specced both cars as I would have them the GTS wasnt much more and I think it will hold on to at least that much more value in residuals.

I agreed with you that a GTS should hold it residual value better than an nearly equally specced Petrol S due to the options you would select are probably standard on the GTS and depreciation is usually on the base model, but we are talking Porsche here and it does not always work that way.

As GTS's are a bit easier to get hold off than Petrols S's it will currently be closer than you think. My OPC has not got any Petrol S again this year, and I know they are waiting for quarter 1 loading.

For me I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in performance between them in real world driving between them, however I drove the Turbo with Performance Pack at Silverstone on an experience day and boy that had some grunt, to me it was quicker than the 911 C4 S I also tried.
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

When I was buying I didn't consider a Petrol S for even one second. It was an SD or a GTS and I think my views will be pretty representative of the majority. On the second hand market I think it will be the same where the petrol S doesn't attract a lot of love.

The only place it has is for someone who wants Petrol engine but a pretty basic low optioned car. And again that vehicle will have a small audience.

The range just needs SD, GTS and Turbo PP for me.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

When I was buying I didn't consider a Petrol S for even one second. It was an SD or a GTS and I think my views will be pretty representative of the majority. On the second hand market I think it will be the same where the petrol S doesn't attract a lot of love.

The only place it has is for someone who wants Petrol engine but a pretty basic low optioned car. And again that vehicle will have a small audience.

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

MCDK wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:29 am When I was buying I didn't consider a Petrol S for even one second. It was an SD or a GTS and I think my views will be pretty representative of the majority. On the second hand market I think it will be the same where the petrol S doesn't attract a lot of love.

I do not think that this is the case, in fact probably the opposite.

Petrol S buyers at least those here do seem to include a fair amount of extras in their configs.

I would suggest that a typical S buyer spends £10k+ on extras with c£12k being about typical.

Yes the GTS has more extras as standard but not all buyers want the all the included extras and they would rather spend their cash on the extras they want. The external blacked out trim, the internal upholstery and the £1600 PSE are not everyones cup of tea.

The Porsche model range includes the variants were have with the Macan, but our Turbo PP would be the Turbo S in say a 911.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

^^
The " how many left" website confirms what Col says; similar numbers of S, GTS and Turbo registered in Q1 - still loads more diesels...
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

Hey All,

Just to add my tuppence in and maybe this will help others in decision making / sitting on the fence.

We did look at ordering a Petrol S (and speccing heavily - sport design kit, wheels, better seats, etc, etc) and was around 11-12k extra. So when the GTS was annoucned it was a no brainer - actually seemed better value and also preferred it sitting slightly lower suited us.

With the extra bhp, it wasnt really on my radar - the handling of the Porcshe and the quality fo the build. We did look a fair few other SUV and prestuige estate cars, but the Macan ticked all the boxed (esp so in GTS guise)

My only decision was to maybe have gone the 21 sport classics - purely for the easier cleaning, easy 30-45 mins to clean black spyders! :roll:

Si
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

+1 Colin.

As you know from a previous identical thread I've also been wrestling with this question. The questions I've asked myself and I believe I have now answered (maybe depending on how the facelifted version is presented) are

1. Is the performance gain significant enough?
2. Do I actually want to be committed to 'the look' of the GTS?
3. Will the retained value be significant enough to influence 1 and 2?

Right now I'm going to stick with the S. And the biggest factor in reaching this point is my natural antipathy to the GTS's predominantly black scheme. If there was as much visual freedom as there is for S then it would make my decision a whole lot harder. As for the retained value this remain to be seen and achieved. I appreciate the rationale that options do not retain as much as standard elements but I think that an S with those certain desirable extras will always be desirable.

And as has been pointed out there are currently similar numbers about but with many more GTSs in the pipeline that relationship is set to change.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀