Is Sports Chrono worth it ?

All your ordering information here!
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

So i am in the midst of configurating my second Macan as my current diesel is being returned to the OPC in return for a full refund (long story - DPF issue). I am ordering a Petrol S and wanted to know if the Sports Chrono option is worth it and what does it actually give you ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback..............

goron59

Post by goron59 »

It gives you :
  • a stopwatch/clock on the dashboard
  • telemetry capture in the PCM (useful on track, but also useful if you want to record where you've been)
  • Sport Plus drivetrain mode, so less slushy gear changes, more friendly to using paddles for manual changes, slightly faster changes (if you're really pushing).
  • Launch control - handy if you're in a race or.. no, that's about it.
  • PSM Sport mode (not sure if that's standard with non-SC?) which is traction and stability control backed off, so you can actually enjoy the chassis without being too dangerous to others.
  • Erm... an extra button on the console.
A rule of thumb here is that if you have to ask, you probably don't need it.
If you complain that Sport Plus drive train mode hangs on to gears for way too long, you definitely don't need it.

Usual advice of try it and see.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Oh, for full disclosure, I retrofitted Sport Plus (SC without the clock) on my first Turbo, and had it fitted in the factory on my second.
If I had a third, I'd spec it again. PDK is too dimwitted for truly sporty road use without, all IMO.
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Like G says

If you are going to drive the car hard you will get the benefit of it. If you drive like miss daisy worrying about MPG don't bother.

If it can still be retrofitted then don't bother initially, all you will miss out on, on a retrofit, is the little clock on the dash.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Didn't have it on my SD but did spec it on my current GTS because.....I felt a GTS " should" have it.
The clock is nice (!) but I can count on the fingers on one hand how often I've ever had enough clear open road to ever actually benefit from it safely for any length of time. It give you no more power or torque and nothing you can't access manually if you really want. It just makes it easier to get to the top end of the performance.
You do get an extra stiffnes setting for the suspension and the quicker responses are a " nice to have" along with the additonal pop and crackle from the exhaust (although you do get this in sport mode too)
I've used launch control once, just to make sure it works but I've never used the telemetry bit / g-force monitor / lap timer bit because I've not taken it on a track (yet)
As above, you know your driving style and how often you want / need hooligan mode.....spec accordingly. (And as goron says, you can soon get the software upgrade if you really want later on.)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Paul wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:55 pm You do get an extra stiffnes setting for the suspension
You get that anyway. Nothing to do with SC or Sport Plus drivetrain mode.
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

My two pennies...

Diesel unnecessary (given torque curve and engine noise makes revving for power or drama obsolete)
Petrol essential

My normal fun driving mode is Sports Plus active but in manual transmission mode (assuming PDK), Sport mode alone doesn't seem sufficient to me.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
Paul

Post by Paul »

goron59 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:16 pm
Paul wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:55 pm You do get an extra stiffnes setting for the suspension
I stand corrected, comfort, sport and sport plus if PASM is selected (standard on GTS, was (is?) optional on S)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Paul wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:36 pm
goron59 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:16 pm
I stand corrected, comfort, sport and sport plus if PASM is selected (standard on GTS, was (is?) optional on S)
Yes, comfort/sport/sport plus damping modes are provided by PASM. Optional for the Macan S, Macan SD and Macan 2.0.
Damping and general spring rates vary between steel and air springs too.
Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Virage11 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:30 pm My two pennies...

Diesel unnecessary (given torque curve and engine noise makes revving for power or drama obsolete)
Petrol essential

My normal fun driving mode is Sports Plus active but in manual transmission mode (assuming PDK), Sport mode alone doesn't seem sufficient to me.
I would say the opposite... gives the S Diesel another dimension!