Is Sports Chrono worth it ?

All your ordering information here!
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:02 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:11 pm LC is a gimmick and is brutal on the transmission, good for using at the PEC on their cars, never used it on either of mine.

I haven't used Launch Control on my car either yet, but it was very dramatic on the PEC's Panamera! ;)

Regarding being brutal on the transmission, I gather that Porsche are confident that the oily bits are more than up to it. It can't be that brutal, as it 'only' reduces 0-60 times by 0.2 seconds!? And there's a video somewhere of a guy using LC on a 911 something like 100 times consecutively with apparently no ill effects on the car. :ugeek:
Sp Chrono not worth the cost, imo. As for durability, well the GTS I drove at the PEC last November was still in daily use this June, and according to the instructor, not had any faults, apart from surround view playing up.
As for the Compass, I regret not adding it, from memory, it adds altitude, temperature as well as a digital time display, useful in Euroland, and would stop Mrs B. asking me one of those things constantly.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Zinzan wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:00 pm I don't think you will feel much if you are already at full throttle, and I'm not sure you're meant to. However, if you are, say, looking to overtake several cars at once the button works very well to give you everything with one press followed by full throttle and no fiddling about. Works very well in my Boxster S.

+1.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
macview19

Post by macview19 »

GTS on order possible November delivery did not spec S/C does any member know if the compass can be retrofitted. Was unsure spec S/C or
surround camera went for the surround hope that was correct call . Porsche code PJYX2W17
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

If compass can be retro-fitted, it would be costly, as a large chunk of the dash top would need replacing.

I think someone posted details of an owner in the US who attempted something similar, but not a project that I would tackle myself. Ask the OPC, but I think they will either say it can't be done, or they'll quote a painful price. 😬
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
goron59

Post by goron59 »

macview19 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:38 pm GTS on order possible November delivery did not spec S/C does any member know if the compass can be retrofitted. Was unsure spec S/C or
surround camera went for the surround hope that was correct call . Porsche code PJYX2W17
Do you need a compass? or just something, anything, on top of the dashboard?

The PCM has a compass built in, you see, and you can configure it on various PCM displays (including altitude).

Otherwise, it would either need to be a Tequipment retrofit (it's never been available), or a 3rd-party job, as WingCo says.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Sim_Nugget

Post by Sim_Nugget »

I had Sport Chrono retrofitted and the clock/timer on the dash doesn’t come with it as it cannot be fitted, I would conclude the same can be said for the compass.
2017 Turbo - Night Blue / Expresso
BMW M2
bigbaldybloke

Post by bigbaldybloke »

I wondered about it but didn’t spec it initially, reasoning that I could get it retro fitted if I felt I needed it and I didn’t want the dial spoiling the lines of the dash top. Never had it retro fitted, it’s an SUV for road use, not a track day car, and being a mechanical engineer my sympathies for the transmission would mean I wouldn’t use launch control anyway, and the extra 0.2 of a second off the 0-60 time was immaterial in road use. But, each to their own, if you want it, have it, the only thing I regret is not going for led headlights.
Macan S http://www.porsche-code.com/PH8LE871
Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPNV5P9
Lotus Elan +2
Mitsubishi Shogun
Mini Cooper S Electric
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I would always include SC in a Macan I bought except the SD and base.

It does give the hooligan option if and when wanted but the dial on the dash is a big plus, I would rather have that than a Compass, I mean a compass that is so Sixties.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Guy

Post by Guy »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:19 pm I would always include SC in a Macan I bought except the SD and base.

It does give the hooligan option if and when wanted but the dial on the dash is a big plus, I would rather have that than a Compass, I mean a compass that is so Sixties.

I suspect the compass is a 'pilot' or wannabe pilot thing - and there seem to be a few ex-aircrew on the forum.

I must admit that when satnav doesn't work and you're 'geographically-embarrassed' in a big city or urban area, a rough knowledge of the direction of travel can help tremendously. I use the sun, if it's up!
EvenDave

Post by EvenDave »

I had it on my Boxster S and used it often with PDK in manual and flappy paddles in full use. It made for real fun driving. I've got it on the GTS too but not used it yet. That day is coming soon though :D
Last edited by EvenDave on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.