Macan GTS Final Spec Questions

All your ordering information here!
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Hi Everyone

New to the forum. Hello! I’m a fan of Porsche and have a couple of current series GT cars. I’m looking at ordering a Macan GTS and have been offered a March build slot. Based on when the MKII GTS is going to be delivered, I didn’t want to wait so have a letter in and will use the MKI in the meantime with a view to changing later if I want to.

I have test driven the car and compiled a draft spec (http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ3A5Y34) Unlike GT4 and GT3, this is a different product and given I have the other cars, it’s never going to see a track or be used in the same way so trying to stay away from the ‘motorsport’ options.

I have read a lot of the forums and while a couple are answered, there seems to be polarisation of opinion so I'd be grateful for owner insights on:

Sport Chrono - is this necessary on the Macan? GTS I test drove didn’t have it and the roads I was on wouldn’t have allowed for it anyway. I’ve found Sport Plus to be a bit too rabid for the street for general use on other cars but would like to hear owner opinions on this for the Macan.

Sunroof - Anyone had any problems or issues with sun roof?

PTV - I’m not spec’ing this but expect that I’d only see a benefit if I was adding Sport Chrono and using it on track?

Brushed Aluminium - Black - Not seen any real world photographs of this and my concern would be if this got scratched. My worry is that any scratches would be very obvious.

Washer jets - does the GTS come with heated nozzles? For the 5 days of the year that it’s cold enough, they’re really useful. I can’t tell from the spec and have asked the salesman but he has not come back to me yet.

DAB - does the car come with DAB radio as standard? I spec sports exhausts in preference but my wife likes the radio. Can’t tell from the brochures if I need to spec as I’ve had to add DAB in on other cars in the past, hence the question.

Sensors versus camera - is the reversing camera necessary? I’ve lived in London for a long time so my parallel parking and reversing had to be decent and you don’t even have the option on the GT cars! Just wondered if anyone had any issues with coverage on the standard sensors or have any ‘I’d never have a car without this again’ epiphany? The only reason I can see for the reverse camera is if visibility is compromised severely or that the sensors don't offer sufficient coverage which I can't see happening.

Many thanks for your help and if anyone has any questions that I can help answer with current knowledge, I’ll do my best.

Look forward to being a ‘paid up’ member in due course and talking to you all.

Alex

Funrider

Post by Funrider »

Welcome Alxgb
I’ve had a S Diesel since May15 and like you, feel the wait for Mk2 GTS is too long, so also speccing one now.
You will get loads of (sometimes conflictig.....) advice here, but always well meant, so enjoy the process...

Pano Sunroof: Have it, will spec again as really lightens up interior, both front & especially rear, mine is faultless and use it a lot in all temps ( near 50k miles), and not heard on forums of it giving problems.

Washer jets are heated as standard ( see my post last week, I removed one & saw the wiring...)

DAB is standard spec.

I have reversing camera, really like it & refer to it all the time, & find it makes parking less ‘stressful’ near bushes & hedges ref scratching. However lens quickly gets dirty in winter weather ( I’ve developed a ritual of quickly cleaning it & get some strange looks 😊) Forum members seem to really like surround camera’s too so am considering speccing that for me.

Have tried chono at PEC Silverstone. Am still undecided... plus some like the centre dashboard clock but I don’t.. You can have S.chrono retro fitted at dealer ( ie software upgrade & switch only, so no clock) but is more expensive this way.

I can’t answer the other questions from experience, but others will be along soon...
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Welcome alxgb!

Funrider has answered your 'factual' questions. The others are, to a large degree, down to personal preference, but I suspect that you've already answered them!

Based on your experience with your other cars and the fact that you have them 'for fun' I think you don't need sport chrono on the Macan. My instructor at Silverstone said it wasn't necessary on a road car and I think he was right. Others will tell you it's essential for residual reasons.

Agree you don't need PTV on this car for the road.

Most on here will say that the sunroof is a 'must have' on the Macan. I don't have one and I'm quite happy without. There have been one or two issues reported with them but doesn't sound any more problematic than you might get with other manufacturers.

I don't have experience of the black brushed aluminium but would have thought it resistant to scratching unless you are careless. I don't like the brighter options much.

I have the reversing camera but find that I don't use it much. I have found that just when you want it, it's obscured by dirt or water. You are used to tight parking so you may be fine without. All these driver aids sound fine but they often have a downside. Even the sensors can be a pain in congested traffic. But, again, others will tell you they can't manage without. It often comes down to the skill of the driver.

Good luck and have fun with your final choices!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Welcome,

I have the pano roof, like it for the extra light and use it quite a lot just for a bit of ventilation. I think it is something you either like or don't like.

I have the revering camera which I think is worthwhile as the Macan is not the easiest to reverse.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome, alxgb! :)

Given your background of Porsche sports/GT cars, you'll be a valuable addition to our friendly forum, given that many of us have owned, do own or wish to own/return to a Porsche sports car! ;)

I'm sure you'll love the Macan GTS and have made the right decision not to wait a couple of years (?) for the facelifted Macan GTS.

Cheers.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
sdgreenwood

Post by sdgreenwood »

Hi

Had a gts since September seriously good car.. , pano roof is great, but sports chrono pointless unless you like extra dial in the centre of dash for effect but other than that waste of money. Sport plus mode unecessary for the road. Really really wished I had gone for comfort seats over standard seats just cannot get comfortable anymore , ok to start with but now just not for me(lumber support lack of adjustment just spoiling it for me every time I drive it). gts is a great car especially with air sus but they lent me a cayenne diesel S while in the garage and much prefer that as a daily drive (bigger , higher, effortless power and 30 mpg). Macan Gts is a great car (pound for pound best Macan) but it will be my last Macan, will take a good look at a hybrid cayenne when it comes out.
GTS/Rhodium/Black-Garnet Red two-tone leather/21" black sport classics

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ28KXQ5
Paul

Post by Paul »

Welcome Alex,

Most of your queries have been answered as I would have responded.
I’ve got Sport Chrono but can count on the fingers of one hand (not even using my thumb) the number if times I’ve used it - no more power just even more aggressive shifts and a shorter throttle.
Mine has a pano roof (I didn’t particularly want one but Mrs P chose - and paid for it!) and it has given no problems over the last 16 months / 14000 miles.
Reverse camera is useful as the rear 3/4 visibility is strangely not particularly good.
Sports exhaust is standard on the GTS and yes, DAB is standard (if a little flakey on ocasions)
Black aluminium trim in my signature pics below - no it doesn’t scratch and us actually “ribbed” more than brushed and I felt it was more in keeping with the GTS interior theme.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
spook

Post by spook »

Welcome alex,

Sports Crono (SC) , I didn't spec it on my Petrol S however the sport button is in a crap position on the centre console on the wrong side.

I never set out from home driving in Sport so if I needed a little bit more just to overtake something , yes you can kick down, use the paddles or LOOK DOWN and try and find the sport mode on the wrong side of the console.

I really liked the Audi S tronic gearbox as you just moved it from Drive to Sport however SC may be fitted to the Steering Wheel as per the latest 718's, 911's and Panamera's with the Macan facelift and it would become IMO more usable.

Rear Camera, I had that option no problems and I will spec it again on my C2 build , it helped reversing at night into our garage ( also put LED strip lights on the floor to match the camera graphics) It Just needs a wipe to clean it sometimes !

Enjoy the configurator !!
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
wallaby

Post by wallaby »

I have the black aluminium because I disliked the shiny (read reflective) strips. Thought the leather option too expensive. Haven't scratched it in over a year.
991.2 C4 NIght Blue - collected 16/5/18
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSWXUK8
GTS sold
Diesel S - Sold
Cayman 981 2.7 PDK - Sold
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Black aluminium is a great look and don't think it should mark easily. Much easier to look after than gloss black

I have Sports Chrono and mainly as I like the clock on the dash. May also be something that helps resale but don't think I would spec it again as never use sports plus mode. Sports mode even hangs onto the gears too long for me so sports plus is worse.