Porsche VTS + Porsche Connect on GTS

All your ordering information here!
andreas

Post by andreas »

wallaby wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 pm

My next purchase will probably change my habit and I will choose a "built in" tracker so I know where the car is at any time - declare it if the Ins. co. requires or keep it's presence to myself if not.
Don't understand this; the current cars have this - just use the Car Connect app to locate the car.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

You do have to pay for Connect after a year, but I agree, I’m pretty sure you have have this without the full monitoring cost.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
wallaby

Post by wallaby »

alxgb wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:30 am
wallaby wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 pm I do have a problem with the fob+key. Do I keep them separate (and possibly forget the fob)
Don't have an issue with a tracker per se but it's a bit of a cost penalty. My gripe with the trackers is that I am still being sold the same tracking system without web access that I was sold 10 years ago. If I go away from VTS, Porsche start making warranty noises. I have a drawer full of fobs that look the same and no web access on the lot. I gather the latest VTS is better integrated with the GTS and there are marginal integration improvements over the years.

If it's of any interest, not sure of your preferences for a wallet but I tend to carry minimal amounts of cash and cards and have a Bellroy wallet with a zip function. I just drop the tracker fob into that and zip it closed and that way I have it but it's separated from keys but not going to get lost.

Having the fob attached to the keys is seen in the same light as having a tracker installed but no subscription activated when it comes to insurance.
Thanks alxgb - I will try a Bellroy.
991.2 C4 NIght Blue - collected 16/5/18
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSWXUK8
GTS sold
Diesel S - Sold
Cayman 981 2.7 PDK - Sold
wallaby

Post by wallaby »

andreas wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:33 am

My next purchase will probably change my habit and I will choose a "built in" tracker so I know where the car is at any time - declare it if the Ins. co. requires or keep it's presence to myself if not.
Don't understand this; the current cars have this - just use the Car Connect app to locate the car.
You are quite right andreas - my mistake :? Having gone "all-in" with the Vodafone package I forgot the ability to just use the app was "free" :oops:
991.2 C4 NIght Blue - collected 16/5/18
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSWXUK8
GTS sold
Diesel S - Sold
Cayman 981 2.7 PDK - Sold
Retired

Post by Retired »

andreas wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:33 am

Possibly misunderstood your point, but the difference between the tracker and the app is the tracker fob and associated service.

If the car is moved without the tracker fob in it the service assumes it has been stolen, contacts you to check yow haven't driven it without the fob by accident etc.

Using the app you have to recognise the car is missing before you attempt to find out where it is. The tracker notices something untoward as soon as the car moves without the tracker.

Don't have it activated myself as with a previous car it didn't always work when I forgot the tab and it would sometimes cry wolf when all was well.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Retired wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Possibly misunderstood your point, but the difference between the tracker and the app is the tracker fob and associated service.

If the car is moved without the tracker fob in it the service assumes it has been stolen, contacts you to check yow haven't driven it without the fob by accident etc.

Using the app you have to recognise the car is missing before you attempt to find out where it is. The tracker notices something untoward as soon as the car moves without the tracker.

Don't have it activated myself as with a previous car it didn't always work when I forgot the tab and it would sometimes cry wolf when all was well.
Yes, I understand how the tracker works, I have it activated on my car. I was just pointing out that the Car Connect app allows you to see the car's location.

Incidentally, I'm not sure how people can forget the tracker fob, the car gives a dashboard warning if you start it without the fob.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Retired

Post by Retired »

andreas wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:03 pm
Retired wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Incidentally, I'm not sure how people can forget the tracker fob, the car gives a dashboard warning if you start it without the fob.

Didn't always work for me. Managed to drive off a couple of times without the tab without the car warning me.

In one instance drove to a supermarket, spent an hour shopping, got back in car and received the warning display and then 20 mins later got the call from Vodafone. Not great.