Porsche VTS + Porsche Connect on GTS

All your ordering information here!
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Hi Everyone

I'm still in debate with the insurance company and it seems that not having a tracker is just going to be a pain in the backside as many underwriters are insisting upon this for vehicles over £50k.

Can anyone with the Porsche VTS tracker confirm if there are features (i.e. locate my car or alerts if you've driven off without the fob tag) or any useful features that would justify the cost? Many of the insurers feel warm and fuzzy when you say 'Porsche VTS' versus some of the potentially better but less well known products.

I have done a bit of research but owner experience is always far more insightful.

Thanks

Alex

Marra

Post by Marra »

Hi Alex - after advice from this forum I insured through NFU - one of the reason was they don't demand a tracker.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Snap...£65 K GTS insured with NFU for about £350....no much help to the question asked, but I’ve no need for a tracker.

(and neither did my £55 K SD with Admiral previously)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
steve w

Post by steve w »

AVIVA £68k GTS And no tracker.
SteveW
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

£75K Turbo no tracker, insured via NFU.

A tracker is u/s if you do not have a signal, I had far to many instances of the iPhone not connecting to the car during the free period, hence did not take up their services.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Thanks guys, I am likely to give my business to NFU anyway but they won't do an agreed value.

Col, Steve, Paul, Marra - you guys all doing GAP insurance on the value difference for your Macans?

Problem I have is with the GT cars, I want to put them on agreed value as they have appreciated. Break up the policy and take the car to different insurers, I get absolutely rinsed. Give you an example, Hiscox quoted £850 on the GT4 as part of a group policy. When I took the other cars away, they quoted me £1,790! I have a clean 20 year driving record with not even a windscreen claim and history of performance car ownership, live in a semi-rural area and have extensive security. I have no idea what is going on the heads of some of the actuaries/underwriters.
Marra

Post by Marra »

alxgb wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:23 pm Thanks guys, I am likely to give my business to NFU anyway but they won't do an agreed value.

Col, Steve, Paul, Marra - you guys all doing GAP insurance on the value difference for your Macans?

Problem I have is with the GT cars, I want to put them on agreed value as they have appreciated. Break up the policy and take the car to different insurers, I get absolutely rinsed. Give you an example, Hiscox quoted £850 on the GT4 as part of a group policy. When I took the other cars away, they quoted me £1,790! I have a clean 20 year driving record with not even a windscreen claim and history of performance car ownership, live in a semi-rural area and have extensive security. I have no idea what is going on the heads of some of the actuaries/underwriters.

I didn't finance my Macan and because NFU gave new for old for 2 years, I didn't feel the need for Gap insurance.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

"I didn't finance my Macan and because NFU gave new for old for 2 years, I didn't feel the need for Gap insurance."

None of my cars are financed either. Problem is replacement - you can't get build slots for a couple of mine and you're left with replacement at overs on the second hand market and it gets into a grey area regarding valuation at that point.
wallaby

Post by wallaby »

I really don't now whether there is a definitive answer to your enquiry.
Personally I chose the full Porsche/Vodafone (VTS) cover for my £73k Macan GTS. Then I hunted for the correct insurance cover for my needs. In the scheme of things the insistence (or not) of a tracker seemed small beer.
Vodafone has never issued me a false alarm and has always phoned me when, twice, I forgot to add the fob to my pocket before leaving the house.
I do have a problem with the fob+key. Do I keep them separate (and possibly forget the fob) or do I attach the fob to the key chain so I don't forget it. The latter means that when, if I "lose" my key I will probably lose my car with no alert.

My next purchase will probably change my habit and I will choose a "built in" tracker so I know where the car is at any time - declare it if the Ins. co. requires or keep it's presence to myself if not.
991.2 C4 NIght Blue - collected 16/5/18
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSWXUK8
GTS sold
Diesel S - Sold
Cayman 981 2.7 PDK - Sold
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

wallaby wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:24 pm I do have a problem with the fob+key. Do I keep them separate (and possibly forget the fob)
Don't have an issue with a tracker per se but it's a bit of a cost penalty. My gripe with the trackers is that I am still being sold the same tracking system without web access that I was sold 10 years ago. If I go away from VTS, Porsche start making warranty noises. I have a drawer full of fobs that look the same and no web access on the lot. I gather the latest VTS is better integrated with the GTS and there are marginal integration improvements over the years.

If it's of any interest, not sure of your preferences for a wallet but I tend to carry minimal amounts of cash and cards and have a Bellroy wallet with a zip function. I just drop the tracker fob into that and zip it closed and that way I have it but it's separated from keys but not going to get lost.

Having the fob attached to the keys is seen in the same light as having a tracker installed but no subscription activated when it comes to insurance.