New Order Placed - Couple of Questions

All your ordering information here!
Double GTS

Post by Double GTS »

Hi there,

So we have an order placed for a Macan GTS with delivery due in April, and our lock-down date is fast approaching (in 2 days!). We have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help answer (SE @ OPC is currently checking with Porsche but thought someone here may already know the answer).

Current Spec :
Night Blue Metallic
Leather interior package GTS with Alcantara, Black
LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
ParkAssist (front and rear) with Surround View
Panoramic roof system
Privacy glass
Sideblades painted in exterior colour
SportDesign exterior mirrors
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Air suspension with self-levelling, ride-height control and Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Sport Chrono Package
20 inch RS Spyder Design wheel painted in black (satin gloss finish)
Light comfort package
Sports seats GTS (eight-way)
Seat heating (front)
Smoking package
Brushed aluminium interior package in black
Door-sill guards in brushed aluminium, illuminated

The first question was around the illuminated door-sill guards in brushed aluminium - as we have specc'd the Brushed aluminium interior package in black, does anyone know if the door-sills can be done in the black aluminium? - Not that it would change the order if they can't, it's just that we thought it would tie in better with the interior, and not to mention, the red of the GTS would look better against the black (IMO)

The other question was around the spare tyre - I noticed that a lot of you had specc'd it and wondered how it works with the 20" wheels, being the largest the configurator offers is 19" - if needed to be used, does the car ride fine? We haven't added it as I am used to the usual tyre repair kit that Porsche provide (and haven't used yet, even though it meant a 25 mile drive with a screw embedded in my tyre).

Apart from that, is there anything else you would suggest we consider?

Any answers / thoughts / comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks
8-) 981 Boxster GTS - (Last of the Flat-Sixes) & Macan GTS

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome! :)

Hopefully your forum name means that you'll be keeping the 981 Boxster GTS too!?

You'll be fine with the 18" spare wheel and most on here recommend speccing the spare.

I'd consider adding the heated steering wheel too. Many of us (but not all) love a heated Porsche steering wheel. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

The 18in wheel is for the Macan 2.0, S, SD and GTS. The 19in is for the Turbo to accommodate the larger brakes. The wheel + tyre (when inflated) is the same size as all the other wheels. Just not as low profile. Porsche assist will (I think) lend you one if you don't have one, but it is relatively cheap to have your own and does keep your options open if you have a puncture. Never had to use mine - yet!
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Ah yes, I like me heated steering wheel. One of those things that I didn't realise I needed until I had it!
Double GTS

Post by Double GTS »

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't sure about the spare tyre as I just thought with the size difference, it would be noticeable, so may now have to reconsider given your comment.

We considered the heated steering wheel but with not having had one before, didn't think it would make much of a difference, and having the heated seats, thought that would help with the cold weather. Did also consider the Alcantara wheel (as I'm trying to keep the spec as close to the 981 as possible), but decided against it.

And yes, plan is to keep the Boxster GTS long term, it's more a weekend car (only put on about 3500 miles since new), and having tried the 718 S, whilst I appreciate the performance increases, it just doesn't sound the same.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Double GTS wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:04 pm Hi there,

So we have an order placed for a Macan GTS with delivery due in April, and our lock-down date is fast approaching (in 2 days!). We have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help answer (SE @ OPC is currently checking with Porsche but thought someone here may already know the answer).

Current Spec :
Night Blue Metallic
Leather interior package GTS with Alcantara, Black
LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)
ParkAssist (front and rear) with Surround View
Panoramic roof system
Privacy glass
Sideblades painted in exterior colour
SportDesign exterior mirrors
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Air suspension with self-levelling, ride-height control and Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Sport Chrono Package
20 inch RS Spyder Design wheel painted in black (satin gloss finish)
Light comfort package
Sports seats GTS (eight-way)
Seat heating (front)
Smoking package
Brushed aluminium interior package in black
Door-sill guards in brushed aluminium, illuminated

The first question was around the illuminated door-sill guards in brushed aluminium - as we have specc'd the Brushed aluminium interior package in black, does anyone know if the door-sills can be done in the black aluminium? - Not that it would change the order if they can't, it's just that we thought it would tie in better with the interior, and not to mention, the red of the GTS would look better against the black (IMO)

The other question was around the spare tyre - I noticed that a lot of you had specc'd it and wondered how it works with the 20" wheels, being the largest the configurator offers is 19" - if needed to be used, does the car ride fine? We haven't added it as I am used to the usual tyre repair kit that Porsche provide (and haven't used yet, even though it meant a 25 mile drive with a screw embedded in my tyre).

Apart from that, is there anything else you would suggest we consider?

Any answers / thoughts / comments would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Welcome, also waiting on a Macan GTS. We're a couple of tick boxes different on spec but essentially the same car and expect ours late March or early April too.

The door sills can be done in black aluminium but you'd need to get it through CXX or 'Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur' personalisation.

I had the same problem with my GT4 - I spec'd brushed anthracite on the interior trim expecting it to arrive matching on the door sill and the dealer thought it would match as well but it didn't and was the standard finish. From what I understand, they build the standard model and then take the car into the CXX workshop, use a heat gun to remove the part and then fit the personalised part.

The price for matching the part was around £500 and at the time, they said they needed to test the durability of it so there would be an extended wait. Given I was told it would take 3-6 months to get and along with the cost, I reasoned it probably wasn't worth it as you only see it fleetingly getting in and out and if it was to ever be scuffed or damaged, it would be cheaper to replace with a standard component.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I had the illuminated door sills in my first Macan, did not bother in the second.

Save your cash as they simply are not worth it.

Spare takes abot 15 minutes to inflate, the OPC will deflate it and refit it into the storage will if you are unfortunate enough to have to use it
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

The heated steering wheel is probably the best value and most used (in the winter) thing that I specced on the car - I wouldn't be without it now. At <£200 on a car that is probably costing you well over £60k, I would definitely recommend adding it! But then you could probably add another £5k to your spec (whatever you have) without really trying too hard. And if you had posted this a couple of weeks ago, lots of people would be helping you spend some extra money. At least you only have 2 more days to agonise on the confuserator. Have fun!
Double GTS

Post by Double GTS »

Ah, had a feeling that may be the case and like yourself, if there was a delay to the build & additional cost, wouldn't want to do that.

As mentioned in the original post, I don't really mind that it would be in the brushed silver aluminium (at least it would match the seat control panel!).
We only spec'd the illuminated door-sills as I liked the idea that the GTS would be in red - we saw something similar on a Boxster GTS in Hong Kong where the S of the GTS was done in red and thought it actually looked quite smart.

I know what you mean with regards to the options, easy to go crazy with them so have tried to reign it in.
Col M

Post by Col M »

Often wondered if you get wider doors to fit the model name when you opt for: "Macan Turbo with Performance Package"? 😃
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble