Buy or Delay?

All your ordering information here!
davetronic

Post by davetronic »

Apologies if some of this ground has been covered before, but I am still trying to decide which way to go.
After a succession of petrol Porsches, BMW, Mercs, etc., for the first time in my life our last two new cars were diesels, partly as a result of Government propaganda and incentives, partly on salesmen's recommendation for re-sale value, even though I don't do very many miles.
Last autumn the Maserati Ghibli was coming up to 3 years old and was due to be replaced by a Macan SD and I had just bought my wife a Q3 quattro. Then the whole diesel thing hit so I just waited a while and then reasoned if I was going to have a petrol Macan it should be a GTS.
So, I recently placed an order (Porsche code PJ1LA4X4) to get the earliest build time of April, and am now in a similar dilemma over the whole facelift re-vamp!
The main issues for me are the possibility of different engines, different sizes, particulate filters, etc. which would be the new norm, and a total revamp of the dashboard to digital. I'm being told that there will be no GTS facelift for around a year but if the changes are significant should I consider waiting and specifying a Macan S?
I have to make my mind up in the next two weeks and whilst I don't want to be too flaky I also don't want to waste 65K+ on a car that is immediately out of date! The dealer has been fine, and I can delay until after the announcement in April but will then have lost my build slot.
Another factor is that I have kept Maserati longer than any other car in the last 40 years, usually replacing every two years. It doesn't drive like my last Cayman, or waft like the E Class Coupe, but it is still enjoyable & practical as a daily driver and still turns heads everywhere it goes. With only 13k miles, replacing is not a necessity but being Italian I feel I might be pushing my luck after three years!
So now a few sleepless nights, any advice welcome!
Present: Macan S 2019 (PK1QF9N7), Audi Q3 S-line Quattro
Previous: Maserati Ghibli, 944, 911, Cayman, many Benz & BMW coupes. Sahara Beige Capri with brown vinyl roof. And a Renault R4L. (I'd like another).

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Buy.

GTS is a great variant to go for and although details of the Facelifted Macan will probably be released in April devileries are probably going to be in the New Year with GTS mid next year by my guess.

Couple of suggestions on spec, light comfort pack and heated steering wheel.

If you have not had an extensive test drive of a GTS with 8 way seats then I suggest that you arrange one quickly to be sure that these are OK for you otherwise go for 18 way. 18 way have adjustments for squab length, base and rear bolsters, four way lumber and memory functions for both seats.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

I was in exactly the same position as you where early last year , had a SD order and then cancelled due to the Diesel thing. Since that time I have driven both the Turbo and GTS numerous times. I decided that a turbo suits my driving style better. I’m currently looking at second hand Macans , I have seen some 2016 models with high spec finishes GTS leather packages, sunroofs etc with low mileage around 6000 miles for around 58k. Personally I would look at one of these due to the cost saving ... and potential of a New SD.. or new petrol engines fitted, as well as a interior update I suspect that if you then decide to change for a new model you won’t lose as much.. as opposed to buying new. My estimate is you will lose around 6k in your first year of ownership ... from new ,all subjective of course! I have been sadly looking for the last 8 months watching prices on all Macans across the board .. Autotrader/ Porsche uk. Enjoy your decision.. like I have said before it’s worse than giving up smoking.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Hi Davetronic,

My advice to you would be wait and buy a facelift Macan S in the autumn. I think the facelifted car will again hold it's value well in the first year. Also the new tech/engines likely to be worth waiting for as they will likely be taken from the other models - Panamera/Cayenne.

If you can't wait and don't mind buying something a little bigger, then go for the new Cayenne, although I suspect it might be quite difficult to get a slot before the end of the year.

I've made a habit of driving Porsches for next to nothing, so always have an eye on depreciation and my bet would be that the new facelift will hold it's value better.

Having said all of that, out of all the existing Gen 1 Macans the GTS will hold it's value best.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

At this stage I would wait or look for a good deal on a fresh used model.
Gonzo0

Post by Gonzo0 »

I was literally in this position a few weeks ago.

After speaking with multiple OPCs it sounds like the facelift will literally just be that...inside will remain similar/same as now, the new tech seems to appear only on entire new models (Cayenne/Panamera).

I put down a deposit on a GTS last weekend, want a september delivery but it may get delivered early due to factory shutdown, hoping the OPC will get some build slots in Q3 but dont know at this stage.

Facelift GTS wont be available until mid/late 2019 at least.
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

What would you say if you were a sales person... that’s the question!
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Gonzo0

Post by Gonzo0 »

Well yes that's true. I needed a car for September so I pulled the trigger anyway.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

From what I can tell the facelift will probably look very similar outside ( probably the light strip across boot, new headlights , new wheel options/ colours etc) with new interior taking design cues from new Cayenne/Panamera. As for engines it’s anyone’s guess.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Northandy

Post by Northandy »

I had similar queries when I ordered in November for April/may delivery.

In the end I ordered as it seems the gts won't be in the facelift first (but who knows) I figure we can always find a reason to wait.

Nice spec by the way