Changing dealership

All your ordering information here!
g5day

Post by g5day »

So as some of you may remember I have had some historical issues with my dealership (Silverstone), which I though I was through (if only).

Long story short late last summer I put the roof bars on for the first time and I could see the rails lifting (on the outside edges of the car), so I took the car in to the dealership. At the time I was clearly told it was a known issue and Porsche UK were looking into it. The dealership had already tried replacing the rails on a previous car they had in with the same and were now waiting for how to resolve this from Porsche UK.
Having heard nothing I chased recently to now be told (1) the need the car again (2) that its my fault for putting on the bars on too tight (despite using their torque Allen key???) and (3) I must have mis-understood when they told me it was a known issue that they had escalated as in fact they had done nothing! This by the way was the summary from the dealer principal as the service manager just simply didn't respond for weeks on end.

Anyway whilst I keep pushing to solve this, I'm about to order my next new car (keeping the Macan though ;) ) which is a 911 GTS conv, which its pains me to say as there are some very good people at Silverstone also, I'm simply NOT going to order from them. I just can't trust them.

I'm considering either Reading or Hatfield as they aren't part of a franchise like Synters, but I believe part of Porsche GB.

My question for the forum is what have your experiences been of both as there pretty equivalent distance for me.

Many thanks in advance

P.S. Any experiences of dealing with the roof bar lifting the rails do ping me as to your resolutions.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PFG293P5

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Really don't understand this, as I have just this afternoon took the roof bars off our Q5 (virtually identical rail setup) and as you say, using the supplied torque wrench, how can you 'over tighten' or cause an issue yourself???
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Silverstone are rubbish. I made the mistake of buying one car from them (my 991.1 Turbo S) about 2.5 years ago as my normal OPC didn't have access to the one that was right and I was too impatient. The car came with a damaged tyre and a faulty PVT system. Went back to the dealership to have the tracker unit fixed - they damaged an alloy. Did not flag it to me, left it for me to discover. Car went back to have alloy fixed. Car tried to be delivered back on the wrong date. Basically a comedy of incompetence.

Guildford is my local dealership and are part of GB but having bought two cars from them in the past, they are a little hit and miss. Personnel seem to change regularly.

Everyone has their favourites but my OPC has competent sales people who have been there for years, management who have been in Group for years so at least you get a consistent level of service.
Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
VanB

Post by VanB »

g5day, my experience of Reading has always been first class and can't fault the service I've had from them (except when it comes to px offers). Buying and servicing have always been good experiences and a week on Saturday I take delivery of y 3rd car in 4 years from them. If you want a recommendation of someone to speak to just let me know.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

It's not the dealership, it's the people. If you have a good DP, head of sales and head of service, you can get most things done.

Ask for the most passionate salesman - the guy who's likely to hang out on the forums in his lunch hour. That's who you want - he'll be easy to deal with because he'll get you and will likely know the answers without having to go find out. He'll make the experience better because he'll be as excited as you about the car.

I can forgive less than perfect admin or a few mistakes here and there for the right attitude which in my experience translates effortlessly into excellent customer service.

Reading would be my choice as the 'mother ship' but if you're after allocation, bear in mind that every customer with a 918 and Carrera GT etc will be using them and likely placing sales through them.
VanB

Post by VanB »

I would add that I have also had pretty quick allocation and delivery from Reading: the latest C4 GTS ordered in November, built January and at the dealership 08/02. Macan GTS ordered October delivered beginning of December. Cant remember the Cayman but was pretty quick too.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Taz

Post by Taz »

I have dealt with Sutton Coldfield and Wolverhampton, both owned by the same company. They were excellent and I have had three cars from them.
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

I bought mine from Hatfield - all good on the easy bit (sales side), including dealing with my novice questions post-delivery and sorting out some paperwork they didn't do at delivery time. But I've had no experience of their service team yet. I will get it serviced there - they've given me no reason not to. You're right that they're part of Porsche UK.

Also dealt with Cambridge OPC, bought my former 911 there and test drove Macans. Smaller facilities but the experience was fine for me.

Authorised dealerships should all be of a good standard, you shouldn't have to shop around for honesty, reliability and quality. Arguably the more prestigious the brand, the more that should be the case. Sadly, these are not safe assumptions.
pj191k89
RAA

Post by RAA »

Does anyone have experience with my 4 nearest Porsche Centres (in SE England) - Tonbridge (Kent), Guildford (Surrey), Mid Sussex (Burgess Hill) or South London (Sidcup) ?
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

g5day wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:07 pm So as some of you may remember I have had some historical issues with my dealership (Silverstone), which I though I was through (if only).

Long story short late last summer I put the roof bars on for the first time and I could see the rails lifting (on the outside edges of the car), so I took the car in to the dealership. At the time I was clearly told it was a known issue and Porsche UK were looking into it. The dealership had already tried replacing the rails on a previous car they had in with the same and were now waiting for how to resolve this from Porsche UK.
Having heard nothing I chased recently to now be told (1) the need the car again (2) that its my fault for putting on the bars on too tight (despite using their torque Allen key???) and (3) I must have mis-understood when they told me it was a known issue that they had escalated as in fact they had done nothing! This by the way was the summary from the dealer principal as the service manager just simply didn't respond for weeks on end.

Anyway whilst I keep pushing to solve this, I'm about to order my next new car (keeping the Macan though ;) ) which is a 911 GTS conv, which its pains me to say as there are some very good people at Silverstone also, I'm simply NOT going to order from them. I just can't trust them.

I'm considering either Reading or Hatfield as they aren't part of a franchise like Synters, but I believe part of Porsche GB.

My question for the forum is what have your experiences been of both as there pretty equivalent distance for me.

Many thanks in advance

P.S. Any experiences of dealing with the roof bar lifting the rails do ping me as to your resolutions.
Bit further away from you, but I have a good relationship with Porsche Bolton and can put you in touch with someone from there that will look after you very well.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S