Cayman GTS Ordered

All your ordering information here!
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

After months of deliberation I have decided to switch into a Cayman GTS. All the talk here of owning a sports car, rather than a fantastic Sports Utility Vehicle, has had a positive effect on me. Happy to call it a mid-life crisis although I prefer to think that saving money since I was 15 has enabled me a few luxuries.

I am pretty much there in terms of spec. My biggest uncertainties are around the gearbox and seat.

The Macan PDK box is very good. It's a 2 tonne vehicle and the PDK in comfort mode is perfect if you want to cruise. Try a more spirited drive, or try to get away from a roundabout / junction quickly and you curse yourself for not sticking it in sport mode. OK, you can tap the accelerator pedal for the box to change down a cog or 2 in mid flight, but at junctions trying to do that whilst the car is pulling away in 2nd gear isn't possible. The Cayman is a much lighter sports car with its dedicated PDK box which is in all likelihood more in tune to what the car is supposed to be. I have no concerns there.

I like a manual box, you're always in the right gear at the right time when you are thinking about your driving and the situation you find yourself in. I love the perceived feeling of speed when changing gears and the ability to cruise and change up quickly if you so wish. The downside is the hands off the wheel, especially around all the backroads here.

My conundrum is whether during the day to day drive (80% of my driving) it isn't just easier to go for a PDK. Let the auto box do the work and stick it in sports mode when you want to enjoy the twisties or the occasional road trip.

I made this point in a previous post. Porsche are (more than) rumoured to drop the manual boxes from all but their GT range. A manual box would then be something special. But is this special a false special and perceived good choice for the wrong reason? Is the Cayman PDK £2,300 worth special or a comfort you can switch out of when your fancy takes you towards the sporty end of a drive?

In the Macan I have the 18 way Adaptive Sports seats. Absolutely brilliant. Comfy beyond anything. I have spent on occasion almost 10 hours nonstop in the driver’s seat and got out feeling no ill effects. I have fiddled with the controls once and never touched them again as I am so comfortable. Investing almost £2k on a seat which is perfectly adjustable seems a big outlay if this adjustment is done on the first day of ownership and never thereafter. Are the standard Sports seats in the Cayman as comfy as the 18 way, or am I going to regret not spending the money?

Code for my iteration: PJTZTJE6 with a manual box and standard sports seats.

Please don't hold back commenting. I am curious to read your opinions.

Thanks to all of you who have inspired me to trade up to a sports porker. If anyone has an interest in my Jet Black GTS, I will be looking to sell it (or PX at the dealer) around September / October.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18

Paul

Post by Paul »

Congrats Nosmo👍
Re the PDK / manual I personally would go PDK. The purists will argue for manual but as you rightly say 80% ( maybe more) of most people’s driving is made so much more pleasant by an auto ‘box (and the PDK is so, so much more than an auto ‘box)
I use the full manual option in my GTS on the odd ocasion where I know the road, and I know it will be relatively empty. Otherwise I’m in auto and pulling back on the paddles as and when I feel it necessary (or I’m bored😳)
I was fortunate enough to be chauffered by Nick (Nuclear) yesterday and we sort of drew the same conclusion (his new steed is a Carrera GTS....with PDK!)
Last edited by Paul on Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Thank you Paul.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Congrats on placing the order, Nosmo!

Welcome to The Porsche Sports Car Club! ;)

Regarding the seats, have you tried the standard sports seats in the Cayman 718 GTS? If not, I would certainly do so before forking out £2k or so for what might be basically the same seat, but with more adjustments, most of which you'll never use.

I opted for 18-ways on my Macan, but that was more to get the leather seats, in the more sporty, figure-hugging design.

On my Panamera 4, I have the standard seats. I've done 17k miles in 12 months and found them perfectly comfortable. Every fortnight, I spend at least 6 hours driving in one day - no issues at all.

In my Carrera T, I've opted for the 4-way Sports Seats Plus. These are basically the same seats as the 18-ways, but with fewer adjustments. Many on the Rennlist 991 forum say that the 4-way Sports Seats Plus are actually their favourite seat. As you say, how many buy 18-way seats, and virtually never use any of the 18 (or 9?) adjustments?

I've replied on another thead about the transmission. I would go manual, and have done so! After two years driving a PDK (Macan, 991 and Panamera) I miss the interaction of a manual gearbox. I actually enjoy the process of driving, and don't see it as a chore. Might be different if 99% of my driving was in a clogged up city at 5mph, stop-start, but luckily it isn't.

The PDK is well-suited to the Panamera, and the Macan SUV, but the Cayman GTS is a 'sporty' sports car. ;) It might give a marginally slower 0-60 time than a PDK-equipped car, but I still associate a manual gearbox with a sports car.

If the manual is being phased out on non-GT cars, even more reason to get one! And, you're saving another £2,300 into the bargain!

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Congrats Nosmo. Having owned a manual Cayman S in the past, I have had a little experience of your dilemma.

At the time I bought my Cayman, I wouldn’t have entertained a PDK. I was after something engaging and immersive and it was a car I drove for fun. I had a company car for normal driving. The manual box was great and just what I was after.

Clearly, the Macan was a PDK. Being a diesel, there was never that much fun to be had manual shifting as it revved out too quickly. Also, with the torque available, the PDK was fine, if not always in the perfect gear. Sport mode was my normal MO.

Interestingly, in the QF, it has an 8 Speed ZF gearbox which in normal mode is great for cruising around in a relaxed manner. Very smooth and always in the right gear. Changes down quickly and seamlessly on kickdown with very smooth power delivery. Put it in dynamic or race mode and shifting manually with the huge Ferrari like aluminium paddles works amazingly. Super fast changes and very engaging.

My conclusion therefore is that if you think the Cayman GTS with a PDK will give you the best of both worlds like the QF and it is your only / main car, I’d go PDK personally.

Can’t speak for the seats. I had 18 ways in my Macan and like you, never changed them after day 1! They looked great though and very comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Hawkeye on Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Congratulations Nosmo, had both manual and auto versions and I would say PDK every time, quicker and slicker than any driver whatever skill level and if you want to control use the paddles. Re the seat, if your the only driver standard will be fine just remember mechanics always move them 😖. Finally, although great fun, comfort is not a word you will be using to often especially after 10 hours driving 😳
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I really think that this forum should carry a whacking great big warning.

......This Forum Can Setiously Damage Your Wallet......

Congrats btw, if I could live with one then the Cayman would be my choice also.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Black car with gloss black wheels looks stealthy. 😎

Personally, on a GTS, I'd find Carmine Red hard to resist. ;)

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:23 pm I really think that this forum should carry a whacking great big warning.

......This Forum Can Seriously Damage Your Wallet...............
Agreed, should also be renamed. " Macan and Friends"😊
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Guys, thanks so much for taking the time to respond. This will be my main car and daily drive. Basically, as has been said on occasion, Col is right. I'm about to add an additional 4k to this spec.

Simon, I love your involvement on every thread including this one. I was going to go Miami blue until my wife objected. SHMBO drew my mid-life crisis at the colour. Black, black or black. The concession (not specced yet) will be the headlamp washer covers in Carmine :D . I'm also going to get Carmine GTS side stickers, instead of the standard black ones. Just a lighthearted wink.

thanks for your comments once again