Cayman GTS Ordered

All your ordering information here!
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Red5 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:26 pm
VanB wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:49 pm Without reposting the picture yet again that metallic red is lovely so would love to know what it is too
I’m not sure!
It could be a real car in a PTS shade?
I suspect it’s a shopped immage though.
Does look nice though and reminds me of BMW Sedona Red.

Possibly Ruby Red...? :?

IMG_2381.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Red5 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:33 pm
Wing Commander wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:40 pm
Red5 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:03 pm I think PDK blah blah blah.....
Red5, thank you for making this Porsche buyer even happier and more content with my choice to go with manual transmission. :)
You’re welcome :lol:

I think you know better than most though :P

I would also like to add......
In the heavier 4x4 cars Pan/Caye/Mac, the occasionally less than perfect PDK activities are damped very well by the inertia of the weightier drivetrain / vehicle body.

Can’t wait to see the T!

When it eventually arrives, there will be no shortage of pics! ;)

Cheers,

Simon
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

ruby red is close enough. lush.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Nosmo - welcome to the sports car club. Having had a very fun day collecting my GT3 with PDK, I'm obliged to advise you to buy PDK. It is such a fabulous box and is definitely something I would always spec over the manual. I know many of the purists have gone for manual over the PDK, I'm not one that subscribes to that sentiment. The PDK is quicker and a much easier proposition for daily driving.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Nosmo wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:00 pm After months of deliberation I have decided to switch into a Cayman GTS. All the talk here of owning a sports car, rather than a fantastic Sports Utility Vehicle, has had a positive effect on me. Happy to call it a mid-life crisis although I prefer to think that saving money since I was 15 has enabled me a few luxuries.

I am pretty much there in terms of spec. My biggest uncertainties are around the gearbox and seat.

The Macan PDK box is very good. It's a 2 tonne vehicle and the PDK in comfort mode is perfect if you want to cruise. Try a more spirited drive, or try to get away from a roundabout / junction quickly and you curse yourself for not sticking it in sport mode. OK, you can tap the accelerator pedal for the box to change down a cog or 2 in mid flight, but at junctions trying to do that whilst the car is pulling away in 2nd gear isn't possible. The Cayman is a much lighter sports car with its dedicated PDK box which is in all likelihood more in tune to what the car is supposed to be. I have no concerns there.

I like a manual box, you're always in the right gear at the right time when you are thinking about your driving and the situation you find yourself in. I love the perceived feeling of speed when changing gears and the ability to cruise and change up quickly if you so wish. The downside is the hands off the wheel, especially around all the backroads here.

My conundrum is whether during the day to day drive (80% of my driving) it isn't just easier to go for a PDK. Let the auto box do the work and stick it in sports mode when you want to enjoy the twisties or the occasional road trip.

I made this point in a previous post. Porsche are (more than) rumoured to drop the manual boxes from all but their GT range. A manual box would then be something special. But is this special a false special and perceived good choice for the wrong reason? Is the Cayman PDK £2,300 worth special or a comfort you can switch out of when your fancy takes you towards the sporty end of a drive?

In the Macan I have the 18 way Adaptive Sports seats. Absolutely brilliant. Comfy beyond anything. I have spent on occasion almost 10 hours nonstop in the driver’s seat and got out feeling no ill effects. I have fiddled with the controls once and never touched them again as I am so comfortable. Investing almost £2k on a seat which is perfectly adjustable seems a big outlay if this adjustment is done on the first day of ownership and never thereafter. Are the standard Sports seats in the Cayman as comfy as the 18 way, or am I going to regret not spending the money?

Code for my iteration: PJTZTJE6 with a manual box and standard sports seats.

Please don't hold back commenting. I am curious to read your opinions.

Thanks to all of you who have inspired me to trade up to a sports porker. If anyone has an interest in my Jet Black GTS, I will be looking to sell it (or PX at the dealer) around September / October.
Congratulations Nosmo, a fine choice. I wrote a more detailed reply but on submission, the forum lunched my response.

I have a 987 Cayman R and 981 Cayman GT4. I know Caymans well and will get the 982 GT4 based on what I know is coming. They're utterly brilliant cars.

I'm one of the whinge brigade who doesn't like the loss of the flat six but I derive huge pleasure from the visceral sound of the engine and exhaust note. That's my preference but having driven a 718 GTS at Bedford and the full Silverstone circuit, they're superb cars with sublime handling. Underpowered for the straights at Silverstone but on Bedford, it was fabulous. Porsche is a broad church and I know many who would die on other hills. PDK versus Manual and Air Cooled versus Water Cooled being regular battle grounds in forum comments. :D

Manual on the GTS with the F4 is not worth it unless you want it. It's not an investment car. It'll have a premium over the base and S but it's not a GT4 or limited edition. 981 GTS is performing well due to the F4 in the 718 but it would be a different kettle of fish if the 718 was F6.

Go for PDK but get Sport Chrono. Sport+ is too aggressive for the road in my view. This is based on the use that you describe. Manual is hard going in commuting situations, particularly where you encounter heavy traffic. The standard, sport and sport+ with the option of knocking the lever left for manual on a PDK box will give you a lot of variety in use and you'll find a flavour of engagement for your 20%.

I'd say buy the GTS to the character of the car. If you go for manual, you declare intent to make it a focused car which then means you want to start lightening the car and before you know it, it's a manual, sports buckets with PCCB to reduce unsprung weight and you'll find yourself with a car that come resale has a small market and a price point that will be close to GT4 money.

Not sure what you mean about hands on the wheel. You're not manoeuvring the scale of a Macan on a B road and there is sufficient elasticity in the gearing to use the revs and shift where safe to do so. Equally, the car is supremely agile and you can flick it about, it doesn't need huge inputs. It has a much lower centre of gravity and greater poise and balance than a Macan.

Door sills are a bit meah to me. You see them briefly on entry and exit. I'd suggest getting PORSCHE down the arm rest in alcantara which will set off the alcantara in the car well and the embroided GTS logo on the head rests. It provides a bit of relief on the surface. I'd also suggest the smoker's package which completes the look of the centre console. It's a swine to clean otherwise but having the little cover on it is great and you can just stick a 9V USB socket into it to make use of the lighter socket.

ImageImage

Paint the side intake grilles. Particularly if you're going for black, standardly they look cheap and nasty contrasted against a painted finish. I don't know if you've seen Graphite Blue but it's one of those Porsche colours which has a duality to it and it's a beautiful colour that works with the smoked lights on the GTS package. I would be tempted if I was you and I think it's the colour I will take on the GT4 come the time.

In terms of practicality, I'd recommend the front and rear luggage liners and get the luggage net. It has two positions. Really useful. Get the dealer to throw all of this in for free though, more useful than key fobs or whatever gifts they include.

ImageImage

Hope these comments are of help.

Alex
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Thanks all for your honest feedback and humour.

Alex, after reading your pretty comprehensive response (thank you for rewriting) I am again oscilating between specs. I will revist the options list and bother it less (thanks Red5). It won't be an investment and I should try to keep the options down to no more than around <10k. I'll remove the 18way seats (Steve W) but will make this subject to the test drives. Some of the cosmetic options (Like the red washer domes) will be removed. I specced the Macan to have illuminated door sills and the Alu PDK stick. I just ticked it again without any real thoughts. Alex, The interior options to make it a nice cabin are noted, as is the boot bin and luggage net.

In terms of F4 vs F6, there is no choice. The removal of 2 pots is environmentally / politically driven. A GT4 for a daily driver is not really an option, tempting as it is.

WC - I had the same thought about stepping it up to a 911. We don't need the seats (Steve W) and Mrs Nosmo would have my dangly bits for reasons other than intended :oops: .

Back to the drawing board. I can always step it up a couple of years hence, when moving into the baby brother of the mission E..... :?:
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Be cautious of removing the 18 ways unless you've had a very long test of others (at least over a weekend) and are certain you don't need them.

(re my post on page 2).
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Having had a 987.2 PDK Cayman and 981 PDK Boxster I am forever playing on the configurator. Personally feel that GTS models should keep the alacantara interior and have the colour that is most associated with GTS in recent years ie Carmine red although GT Silver is a cheaper second alternative. PDK is a must for me . Don’t go too mad on options .
My ideal spec would be:
PJ8E5AV8
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ8E5AV8

884CACAF-1A06-4CFC-9AED-491E6F335939.png

EE4FA47D-EEE6-4203-912A-090962E4560A.png

2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Nick, that's exactly what I will be doing. A long test drive to ensure I am not going to end up dreading getting in the car for a long trip. The joy of driving has lead me to Porsche and ultimately this car.

Mark - If you have two almost identical cars, one with and one without the GTS interior, which one would you go for? Not a trick question. I am genuinely interested to hear whether I am silly paying outrageous money for the interior?
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Nosmo wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:09 am Nick, that's exactly what I will be doing. A long test drive to ensure I am not going to end up dreading getting in the car for a long trip. The joy of driving has lead me to Porsche and ultimately this car.

Mark - If you have two almost identical cars, one with and one without the GTS interior, which one would you go for? Not a trick question. I am genuinely interested to hear whether I am silly paying outrageous money for the interior?
If buying used and one car had the GTS interior then obviously I would pick that car if the price were the same but would not pay much more for it second hand.

The trouble is every time I look at a Cayman my mind starts thinking but for a bit more I could have a low spec base 991

45F1E627-C266-4B22-AED0-82E246C0A9D2.png

F4BB8195-58D7-4F9B-B6EA-199CF293DD18.png

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJD4P4M3
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.