Cayman GTS Ordered

All your ordering information here!
VanB

Post by VanB »

Doesn't the GTS come with sports suspension as standard like the 911? If so I wouldn't worry about it being crashy as the damping is superb (PASM is standard I believe) and so far I've experienced no problem with speed humps etc.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

VanB wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:56 pm Doesn't the GTS come with sports suspension as standard like the 911? If so I wouldn't worry about it being crashy as the damping is superb (PASM is standard I believe) and so far I've experienced no problem with speed humps etc.
There is an option for "Sports suspension (-20 mm) with PASM" It's the additional 10mm I'm concerned about. I have it on the Macan but I don't have to worry about the ground clearance on that.

Does the standard set up have PASM or do you pay the £168 to get the Active Suspension Management as well? Sounds too cheap for Porsche and about right to get 1cm less :lol:
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Red5

Post by Red5 »

I’m sure you’ll love the new motor :)
Perhaps go for platinum wheels to break it up a bit?

Re the gearbox......
I think PDK is ok for driving like you pants are on fire, although less entertaining than then man box.
I also think PDK is also very good for driving very gently/slowly, but does sometimes get it wrong and cause a clonk/thump or hesitation.

The 80% of the time that you drive from normally up to a slightly spirited lick, is exactly where the PDK is at it’s most clumsy, but the man box is most enjoyable :D

During these drives, I might want neither early shift points, or have the box in sport, as it changes up either too seldom, or down too often.
So yes, you can use manual paddles for the odd down shift, but you can’t ask the car to hold a lower gear on a lighter throttle, without going into full manual mode.

This man PDK mode is fine for a curvy road, but if there is a junction or roundabout, where you spin the wheel through several rotations, you have to move your hands on the wheel and can’t actually find a paddle when you need one! Either that, or go for an upshift with the stick.
So where you need a shift to 2nd, the car just spins up to the red line while you search for wherever the R/H paddle is now.

Porsche have a pretty bad record with the flappy paddle thing and haven’t yet mastered the idea. There earlier efforts were a joke! The aftermarket had to develop a fix for the issues, but you had to kiss your warranty goodby :|

On track you keep your hands fixed and need paddles that move with the wheel, like Porsche currently provide in all PDK equipped cars.

In a road car though, you need extended fixed paddles, so you always know where they are, even during a fast getaway from a tight angle junction/roundabout. That’s when you can’t keep your hands fixed in relation to the paddles.
Only GT models should have moving paddles!

It’s during normal road driving, that you get to dictate proceedings with a manual box and make each drive an event, instead of a chore.

It’s this 80% of driving that makes the difference. You get to practice, improve and hone your skills.
A good driver with a man box, will ALWAYS be smoother and better (not faster against the clock though, but what exactly are you timing when driving your own car?)

It just depends on you and how much you want from your motoring. Adding PDK makes the car less of a sports car and more of a luxury vehicle, which most people actually want!

You pays your money ;)
Last edited by Red5 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

That's a well balanced view. Thank you. As you say, you pays your money....
Red5

Post by Red5 »

[quote=Nosmo post_id=153381 time=1522429380 user_id=306]
[quote=VanB post_id=153379 time=1522428994 user_id=1309]
Doesn't the GTS come with sports suspension as standard like the 911? If so I wouldn't worry about it being crashy as the damping is superb (PASM is standard I believe) and so far I've experienced no problem with speed humps etc.
[/quote]

There is an option for "Sports suspension (-20 mm) with PASM" It's the additional 10mm I'm concerned about. I have it on the Macan but I don't have to worry about the ground clearance on that.

Does the standard set up have PASM or do you pay the £168 to get the Active Suspension Management as well? Sounds too cheap for Porsche and about right to get 1cm less :lol:
[/quote]

We had our 981 GTS on the fixed 20mm lower sports suspension. It was firm but comfy. Even my Mum commented on how well it rode on Dorset country lanes :lol:

During 27k miles we never scraped the underside of the nose.
The slim plastic protrusions sometimes touched, but they stick out some way.

The nose of these cars isn’t actually very low at all. The bonnet line is, but in front of the front wheel, the underside of the nose climbs steeply. It’s a pretty clever styling trick!

I know people with hot hatches that are always catching their bumpers on humps and entry ramps! We never had problems with underground car parks, speed humps or ramped entrances etc.
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Red5 - Sports suspension duly added. :o . Always laughed when people posted their spec for comment. Expensive it definitely is.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Right choice, Nosmo :)
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Red5

Post by Red5 »

This image from google shows what I mean. The quite short overhang also helps hugely!

If you see your GTS in a line of cars parked, it will often have the highest nose :lol:

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

What's anotherpound when you cant take it with you. New spec.
PJVNE1E9
Red5

Post by Red5 »

You’ve certainly bothered the options list there :)

A little too black for me and I’m personally troubled by the washer jets in red :oops:

That’s subjective stuff though, so go for it 8-)