Cayman GTS Ordered

All your ordering information here!
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

mark-yorkshire wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:20 am
Nosmo wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:09 am Nick, that's exactly what I will be doing. A long test drive to ensure I am not going to end up dreading getting in the car for a long trip. The joy of driving has lead me to Porsche and ultimately this car.

Mark - If you have two almost identical cars, one with and one without the GTS interior, which one would you go for? Not a trick question. I am genuinely interested to hear whether I am silly paying outrageous money for the interior?
If buying used and one car had the GTS interior then obviously I would pick that car if the price were the same but would not pay much more for it second hand.

The trouble is every time I look at a Cayman my mind starts thinking but for a bit more I could have a low spec base 991
45F1E627-C266-4B22-AED0-82E246C0A9D2.png
F4BB8195-58D7-4F9B-B6EA-199CF293DD18.png
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJD4P4M3
Seriously tempting. I would be inclined to then settle for a T and follow WCs lead. Tempting yes, executing the thought.... ????
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Nosmo wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:45 am
mark-yorkshire wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:20 am
Nosmo wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:09 am Nick, that's exactly what I will be doing. A long test drive to ensure I am not going to end up dreading getting in the car for a long trip. The joy of driving has lead me to Porsche and ultimately this car.

Mark - If you have two almost identical cars, one with and one without the GTS interior, which one would you go for? Not a trick question. I am genuinely interested to hear whether I am silly paying outrageous money for the interior?
If buying used and one car had the GTS interior then obviously I would pick that car if the price were the same but would not pay much more for it second hand.

The trouble is every time I look at a Cayman my mind starts thinking but for a bit more I could have a low spec base 991
45F1E627-C266-4B22-AED0-82E246C0A9D2.png
F4BB8195-58D7-4F9B-B6EA-199CF293DD18.png
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJD4P4M3
Seriously tempting. I would be inclined to then settle for a T and follow WCs lead. Tempting yes, executing the thought.... ????
But is the T really worth £8000 more than a base Carrera or is the T just a Porsche marketing dept exercise ?

F57396F5-E443-4127-A319-58BC1225B0C0.png

2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Ah, so it all might be academic then!

I'd stick with the interior if that's what you really like as that is where you sit in the car and see all the time. I have the Turbo interior in the Macan. Stupid money but I love it!

I'd trim the cost if it was me though, by deleting LEDs, rev cam, sport suspension and Bose. The bi xenons are fine unless you have defective night vision and plan on a lot of night driving. It's a small sports car so if you can reverse you don't need the cam. I've already scraped the underside of the front lip on my 911 GTS even with the 10mm lowering option rather than the 20mm. We do, however, have a fairly sharp ramp in our access lane and that's the culprit. The Cayman is a noisy car so I can't see that you'd get the benefit, if there is one, from the Bose.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:16 am Ah, so it all might be academic then!

I'd stick with the interior if that's what you really like as that is where you sit in the car and see all the time. I have the Turbo interior in the Macan. Stupid money but I love it!

I'd trim the cost if it was me though, by deleting LEDs, rev cam, sport suspension and Bose. The bi xenons are fine unless you have defective night vision and plan on a lot of night driving. It's a small sports car so if you can reverse you don't need the cam. I've already scraped the underside of the front lip on my 911 GTS even with the 10mm lowering option rather than the 20mm. We do, however, have a fairly sharp ramp in our access lane and that's the culprit. The Cayman is a noisy car so I can't see that you'd get the benefit, if there is one, from the Bose.
Not academic at all. The 718 it is the car I have set my heart on. I live in the GTS interior every day and really like it. On the Macan I had opted for leather which on the Cayman isn't an option. It would be a near on 4k saving though.

I love the LED light. It makes night driving (which I do) a little clearer. I thought Xenons couldn't be beaten until I got into the Macan. To me, it also gives the front of the car a more modern and sharper look.

I like the sound of the Bose. It also adapts the sound to the ambient noise. I will hear the difference between the base set up and the Bose. I hear you on the reversing camera. It's a £400 difference. It might save me from the same value in damage by not being able to see what's behind you.

Are you saying ditch the additional 10mm sports suspension? The car doesn't seem to sit as low as a 911 it was explained before.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Nosmo I have the -20mm suspension on the 911 and absolutely no trouble with speed bumps etc. Could be an issue for me in a multi-story car park depending on the angle of the ramps but yet to experience it and I also agree that the nose of the Cayman sits higher than the 911 in any case so I am sure you would be fine with it.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

VanB wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:31 pm Nosmo I have the -20mm suspension on the 911 and absolutely no trouble with speed bumps etc. Could be an issue for me in a multi-story car park depending on the angle of the ramps but yet to experience it and I also agree that the nose of the Cayman sits higher than the 911 in any case so I am sure you would be fine with it.
Thanks. With the factory shut down in May and August, I have plenty of time to test and check. I am sure the OPC will be happy to see the back of me post delivery :lol: :lol:
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Nosmo wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:27 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:16 am Ah, so it all might be academic then!

Not academic at all. The 718 it is the car I have set my heart on. I live in the GTS interior every day and really like it. On the Macan I had opted for leather which on the Cayman isn't an option. It would be a near on 4k saving though.

I love the LED light. It makes night driving (which I do) a little clearer. I thought Xenons couldn't be beaten until I got into the Macan. To me, it also gives the front of the car a more modern and sharper look.

I like the sound of the Bose. It also adapts the sound to the ambient noise. I will hear the difference between the base set up and the Bose. I hear you on the reversing camera. It's a £400 difference. It might save me from the same value in damage by not being able to see what's behind you.

Are you saying ditch the additional 10mm sports suspension? The car doesn't seem to sit as low as a 911 it was explained before.
Just offering my two pence based on own experience with Macan and 911, but would bow to others with Cayman knowledge. Clearly you must choose your preferences.
When I spec’d my 911 I was wary of going for the -20mm as we live on a hilly lane with a steep ramp turn. Also I wasn’t convinced that the lowered suspension would give any relevant benefit on the road. As it happens, even with 10mm lowered springs I’ve lightly scraped the underside of the front spoiler a couple of times. The Cayman may not be so vulnerable.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Nosmo wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:23 am Thanks all for your honest feedback and humour.

Alex, after reading your pretty comprehensive response (thank you for rewriting) I am again oscilating between specs. I will revist the options list and bother it less (thanks Red5). It won't be an investment and I should try to keep the options down to no more than around <10k. I'll remove the 18way seats (Steve W) but will make this subject to the test drives. Some of the cosmetic options (Like the red washer domes) will be removed. I specced the Macan to have illuminated door sills and the Alu PDK stick. I just ticked it again without any real thoughts. Alex, The interior options to make it a nice cabin are noted, as is the boot bin and luggage net.

In terms of F4 vs F6, there is no choice. The removal of 2 pots is environmentally / politically driven. A GT4 for a daily driver is not really an option, tempting as it is.

WC - I had the same thought about stepping it up to a 911. We don't need the seats (Steve W) and Mrs Nosmo would have my dangly bits for reasons other than intended :oops: .

Back to the drawing board. I can always step it up a couple of years hence, when moving into the baby brother of the mission E..... :?:
A GT4 is not a daily option. Anyone doing it has my respect and the number of my shrink! :lol: The point I was sort of making is that when you enter a certain price point with spec, choice opens up and becomes harder. There are some great cars on the second hand market where you'll get better value and suffer far less depreciation. I think you'd made some noises about investment which is why I made the comment. F6 vs F4 may be politically driven but friends who own the F4 are not seeing better fuel economy, in fact, two have said that it's a little worse.

I wouldn't call a 911 a step up, it's a more developed platform with greater choice. Insert argument about mid-engine platform being hobbled to not damage 911 sales. The other misconception that drives me nuts is that people think the Cayman is smaller than the 911, they're almost the same size and certainly not to the eye. ! I think a Cayman is more practical - front boot (x2 carry on cases), the rear hatch and then the area above the engine. I've never had a problem or thought I needed more space.

Something that you might want to do is have a chat with buyers from JZM or 911 Virgin. Ask for their input on what is selling or what buyers are looking for. Be honest and say you're spec'ing new but come sale, you'd more likely sell to them so thought you'd get their opinion. They'll certainly put in a higher bid than an OPC. They're friendly at both and everyone likes to give an opinion and it won't hurt to start a relationship from their perspective. Their insight might help you make some decisions or at least give you a different but qualified opinion.
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

alxgb wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:18 pm

A GT4 is not a daily option. Anyone doing it has my respect and the number of my shrink! :lol: The point I was sort of making is that when you enter a certain price point with spec, choice opens up and becomes harder. There are some great cars on the second hand market where you'll get better value and suffer far less depreciation. I think you'd made some noises about investment which is why I made the comment. F6 vs F4 may be politically driven but friends who own the F4 are not seeing better fuel economy, in fact, two have said that it's a little worse.

I wouldn't call a 911 a step up, it's a more developed platform with greater choice. Insert argument about mid-engine platform being hobbled to not damage 911 sales. The other misconception that drives me nuts is that people think the Cayman is smaller than the 911, they're almost the same size and certainly not to the eye. ! I think a Cayman is more practical - front boot (x2 carry on cases), the rear hatch and then the area above the engine. I've never had a problem or thought I needed more space.

Something that you might want to do is have a chat with buyers from JZM or 911 Virgin. Ask for their input on what is selling or what buyers are looking for. Be honest and say you're spec'ing new but come sale, you'd more likely sell to them so thought you'd get their opinion. They'll certainly put in a higher bid than an OPC. They're friendly at both and everyone likes to give an opinion and it won't hurt to start a relationship from their perspective. Their insight might help you make some decisions or at least give you a different but qualified opinion.
Thanks again Alex. More food for thought. This car isn't an investment. No car is unless you are in a very lucky league and can get your mitts on a GT of some sort. Reading these comments and other platforms on the intraweb, I am drawn to a conclusion that this car might actually be better bought second hand. Agreed, a second hand one might not be to my exact spec, with the many iterations possible, however, as long as I have a baseline wish list it can be achieved. What I am saying is that the depreciation in the first 2 to 3 years on this car might actually make it a pretty poor buy, if not the poorest in the Porsche range from a depreciation perspective.

Reading the above back, a 911 (second hand) could then also be an option. Oh man, the can of worms is truly open....
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

So far Simon's the only one who's achieved a 100 page thread! :lol:

Happy Easter!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold