Communication during order wait

All your ordering information here!
Northandy

Post by Northandy »

Just wondered what the norm is for information from your dealer during the wait for delivery?

I ordered November, with car expected late April early May. I contacted them at the end of February with a slight spec change and was told spec was about to lock down. That's it kinda nothing since other than when I asked about having someone else gtechniq the car before I collected it which the response was along the lines of yes, but only if you pay for the car first kinda thing. I sort of expected that so no issue.

I'll pop in this weekend anyway but anyone had anything like updates on say when build started etc etc, I got that on my last car which is only an x3 and I never asked for updates.

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Minimal updates when I ordered mine but I think it depends on OPC and SE. I was contacted about lock down then again for a pre-delivery visit. While I was there I asked about the car and he had a look - only to discover that it had just been built! Contacted again when it arrived and we arranged a collection date.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Totally depends on your sales exec but normally you need to ask them for an update. Other makes within the group like VW have excellent tracker systems you can look up yourself but seems Porsche like to maintain the air of mystery.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Porsche in general seem to be poor in comparison with other makes in keeping customers informed of progress with their order. Your sales exec should be able to query the planning system to tell you when your car is due to leave the factory (known as point CP08). Other key points from then on may, or may not, be passed on to you. They tend to keep it a bit dark as they don't have control over the process and don't want to over promise. The next thing you may know is when it arrives at the dealership. The transport period can be anything from 7 to 30 days, but the average is about 15. No harm in asking your SE to keep you posted though.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Northandy

Post by Northandy »

Ah seems I'm not alone then, that makes me feel better!.

Sort of have an issue in the my x3 has been off the road for 3 weeks having a warranty repair (parts issue) and need to get my plate off etc. Will wait till I get an update then get my plate on retention ready as soon as I get the x3 back
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Your OPC and SE suck.

They should have run through the who ordering process when you placed a deposit.

As it happens lockdown is c6 weeks prior to build, build 3 days, delivery 7-28 days.

They will have wanted you to agree to your spec and it sign off asap as once signed you are then comitted to the order, up unitil spec sign off you could have cancelled.

I can understand their reluctance to agree to the detailing, it is not your car until you have paid for.

That said the attitude is certainly not good for repeat business so no doubt the next Porsche you buy will be from elsewhere and bought based on lessons learned.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Can only say that I get regular updates from Craig at Silverstone... my last one was a few minutes ago, and others that have been well after the dealership has closed.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
Northandy

Post by Northandy »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:53 pm Your OPC and SE suck.

They should have run through the who ordering process when you placed a deposit.

As it happens lockdown is c6 weeks prior to build, build 3 days, delivery 7-28 days.

They will have wanted you to agree to your spec and it sign off asap as once signed you are then comitted to the order, up unitil spec sign off you could have cancelled.

I can understand their reluctance to agree to the detailing, it is not your car until you have paid for.

That said the attitude is certainly not good for repeat business so no doubt the next Porsche you buy will be from elsewhere and bought based on lessons learned.
I would add the detailer is less than half a mile away, but I do understand their position, I guess the other issue is they have their own product they wanted me to take for £799 so I can understand their position.

In theory then Its probably built just en route now.

I think your right, it's very very local to my work though, I guess I wasn't overly impressed with the GAP/finance/wheel/tyre insurance/accident damage sales pitch already.

At least not long to wait, I won't let any of all that spoil it though.
alxgb

Post by alxgb »

Northandy wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:18 pm Just wondered what the norm is for information from your dealer during the wait for delivery?

I ordered November, with car expected late April early May. I contacted them at the end of February with a slight spec change and was told spec was about to lock down. That's it kinda nothing since other than when I asked about having someone else gtechniq the car before I collected it which the response was along the lines of yes, but only if you pay for the car first kinda thing. I sort of expected that so no issue.

I'll pop in this weekend anyway but anyone had anything like updates on say when build started etc etc, I got that on my last car which is only an x3 and I never asked for updates.
There are various updates as the car goes through production. Every SE I have dealt with has only ever given me details when the car is at port in Emden at the earliest or when they have a build complete date. The issue of managing expectations when you're not in control of a process means the default is to provide as little as possible thus reducing the chance of upsetting a customer. Which I can understand.

My OPC has not had a problem with having someone else detail the car prior to collection or payment on site but off site, payment would be required obviously. When I have gone that route in the past, they've offered less than optimal conditions for the detailer to work in with respect to the space. If you're applying Gtechniq ceramic coatings, you need to control the environment so you don't trap dust and particulates in the coating. If they put you in an open workshop with shutter doors, the detailer is going to struggle to get a perfect result. Far better to have it delivered to the detailer on a lorry or drive it to them - they'll clean and decontaminate anyway. Word of advice, check that your detailer is Gtechniq certified - you can look up on the Gtechniq website - if you have a problem, you have recourse and the warranty card you'll get on the work has value in the event of selling.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Totally agree with other posts, Gtechniq or any other sealant coating is best applied under controlled conditions.

My Macan was at the Detailers for three days, including just being on axel stands for over one day so that the Wheel Armour treatment could cure off car.

The paint correction alone can take a day to undertake.

I received the car from the OPC with only the plastic protective sheets removed, no washing nothing done to the paintwork or wheels, hence it did look very grubby.

It did not look grubby a few days later.

B8AE213D-FCE9-4607-AD79-3EE2AF73A963.jpeg

Btw
Do read the Washing and Cleaning your Macan thread if detailing is new to you as following the recommended washing regime is required to maintain the coating. The washing regime I quote is basically a mix of that from a few detailing product manufacturers.

Finally the top EXO coating is in fact a wear layer and it does require a top up. I have a top up spray that I spritz on each clean dry panel and buff it, but if you do not do this then you may require an EXO top up a year or so after the initial treatment.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags