2017/18 - Macan SD - sensible choice today?

All your ordering information here!
Kelly's Heroes

Post by Kelly's Heroes »

Hello. New to the forum.

I have been thinking on a used Macan SD and been scouring the used marker for one with LED headlights, which really limits my market. As hardly any out there before 2017 with this option... So basically I'm looking at £53k from a dealer.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc3

I really was hoping to spend no more than £45k cash. Especially in light of new model coming out in 2019 and diesel gate. In addition to that I only do about 10k a year. So I'm really questioning if this is a sensible way to go? Nether less I do prefer the tourqe of a V6 diesel engine.

But, with way things are with diesel, maybe I should just order a facelift Petrol model with a hefty deposit and low finance. But it seems if the Chinese market is anything to go by, only the standard Macan will be available at launch and with the options I want it's going to be £65k+ :(
https://cc.porsche.com/icc_euro/ccCall. ... t%2fall%2f
Looking at ordering 2019 model Macan http://www.porsche-code.com/PKYUKIB8

johnd

Post by johnd »

Think most owners here would agree that the SD is still a great car.

Re annual mileage: I think, economics aside (which is obviously a separate calculation) the absolute mileage is less of a concern than how that mileage is made up. Running an SD when you're only ever going to be doing relatively short journeys is not a good plan.

It's obviously not that you can't do short journeys, but these need to be interspersed every 1-2 weeks with a trip where the engine gets properly up to temperature (eg oil temp at 95+) for 30 minutes or so. So that's a reasonable-speed trip over eg 30-40 miles. IME this is enough to keep any DPF issues at bay. And if you do get a DPF warning then take it out asap for a decent thrash in manual mode.

PS Hadn't realised LEDs were a desirable and uncommon option. Might be an extra selling point for mine when I do come to sell in eg 6-8 months' time.
Last edited by johnd on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Paul

Post by Paul »

Don't get too worried about LED headlights - the Xenons are almost as good and you will certainly open up your choice of used vehicle considerably and certainly should be able to find a £45K machine.

Diesel (as johnd says above) is fine as long as you are not doing exclusively short stop / start journeys.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

Paul wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:43 am Don't get too worried about LED headlights - the Xenons are almost as good and you will certainly open up your choice of used vehicle considerably and certainly should be able to find a £45K machine.

Diesel (as johnd says above) is fine as long as you are not doing exclusively short stop / start journeys.
I'd have to agree with this.

If I was doing lots of miles I'd still get a diesel - but they are currently unavailable for the Macan, so at 10ks worth I'd get the petrol, but if your purely talking 2nd hand, then it's a toss up, but with the low milage I'd probably go petrol again.

James
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome

I had Xenons on my SD and they were fine.

LEDs are stunning but rare on an SD, S or base which is probably due to the vast cost.

Contrary to what others advise I would say go for a petrol variant, its a Porsche after all not a a tractor.

The SD does have great torque but in Comfort mode it sucks, press the throttle wait, then it takes off. It has very poor gearbox and engine maps in this mode.

Put it in Sport mode and its a different animal, but a plateau is reached all be it at a high speed but it is there and if you like to overtake on A roads then you need to bear this in mind.

A petrol S or GTS will rev and rev, and it is either of these that I think are much superior to an SD.

All that said if you want to get the best out of an SD add on an inline chip for a much needed extra 50-60 bhp.

BTW the SD engine is a rebadged and detuned Audi where in an SQ5 the same engine produced 330bhp.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I'm with Col, a diesel is currently a liability with the future even more uncertain. Especially with your average miles you would be mad to overlook a petrol.
andreas

Post by andreas »

Agree, look for a petrol. My wife very sensibly ruled that we shouldn't buy a diesel, because of increasing public hostility. We're very happy with our petrol S, which is great fun to drive in Sport mode.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Kelly's Heroes

Post by Kelly's Heroes »

Thank you for all the replies. Given the mileage, and the possible DPF issues related to that + market hostility/residuals. Then I think going petrol maybe the safest bet..

So my only question now is I'm finding to find petrol one with my spec under £52k. Do just spend the extra £8k on ordering the new one!

Spec I want
Metallic or Grey
PASM
PDLS (preferably LED)
Panoramic Roof
Classic 21" alloy's in black
Rear blinds (not very keen on tinted as Porsche's looks way too dark for my tastes)
Heated Seats + Steering Wheel
Rear Camera
Bose

This is the closest I could find on Auto Trader.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... obcid=soc3
Guy

Post by Guy »

^ That's the 2.0 litre. Better off with an SD if you can live with the shame (and 'hostility'!) ;)
Kelly's Heroes

Post by Kelly's Heroes »

Likely to order new model.. so kind of makes the choice for me 🤣