Macan used market - good time to sell now!

All your ordering information here!
Kelly's Heroes

Post by Kelly's Heroes »

Think I'm going to have to order new.

Looking at what happened a few years back, I can see this happening all over again with the new Macan. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars ... -cent.html

Obviously it is having a ripple effect on the secondhand market with lack of decent stock. I booked to go view a secondhand one on sale for £61k privately. Seller messaged me next day to say a dealer had just brought it for £59k. 2 days later saw the dealer advertising it for £66k!
Looking at ordering 2019 model Macan http://www.porsche-code.com/PKYUKIB8

Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

There are different forces at hand here and we are unlikely to see 25% jumps upwards. At the time of the article, the supply of Macans were limited to say the least, some of the early adopters had to wait 15 or more months to get their car. I ordered in December of 2013 and had my car delivered in late March 2015.

The issue today is the WLTP testing and factory shut down coupled with a face lifted version. Apparently, a new Macan order now (for the facelifted version) is unlikely to be fulfilled until the summer of 2019. The used price of my GTS has remained stable since early this year which I believe reflects your comment that something similar is happening.
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I bought new because of that problem - but that was 2016. When I looked in July 2016 a 1 year old car was the same price as new. That problem doesn't apply now. There is real depreciation - which is a bit of a shock after the time of limited availability and rising prices. That article is too out of date to be relevant to you.
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

Yep, times have changed and a Macan is just like most other cars now although they do keep more %age over time.

Buy a second hand one, just look around, there are plenty about.

James
Kelly's Heroes

Post by Kelly's Heroes »

Ian.g wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:01 pm I bought new because of that problem - but that was 2016. When I looked in July 2016 a 1 year old car was the same price as new. That problem doesn't apply now. There is real depreciation - which is a bit of a shock after the time of limited availability and rising prices. That article is too out of date to be relevant to you.
So you don't think the factory shutdown, the inability to order any Macan for the past few months + the new model not even available to order until the end of September. Have any affect on residuals?

Personally, I think if I order one when the order books open. There will be a huge demand. If I'm lucky enough to get delivery by end of year. I think depreciation will be almost nil or very minimal in the first year.
Looking at ordering 2019 model Macan http://www.porsche-code.com/PKYUKIB8
Paul

Post by Paul »

I think Kelly is partially right - ordering a facelift Macan today will for you one for the end of the year at best (if you’re lucky) or more likely March ish next year......now, the question is whether a 2.0 will be attractive as a used offering at that time, and that is the gamble!
I think the virtual guarantee of “ nil depreciation” as existed for 6-9 months in late ‘14 / early ‘15 is now highly unlikly.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Paul wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:34 pm I think Kelly is partially right - ordering a facelift Macan today will for you one for the end of the year at best (if you’re lucky) or more likely March ish next year......now, the question is whether a 2.0 will be attractive as a used offering at that time, and that is the gamble!
I think the virtual guarantee of “ nil depreciation” as existed for 6-9 months in late ‘14 / early ‘15 is now highly unlikly.
My SE was suggesting that current depreciation was relative. That the differential was proportional. Do the figures demonstrate this?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I think the supposed low depreciation is a bit of a con. The figures they base depreciation on are the list prices - but who has a list price Macan? You might get less depreciation on a new facelift one for a short while but there are now enough current ones around that I doubt it will be like it was 3 years ago. If I was buying now I would be keeping my eye out for one with spec that I liked and probably bargain hard. But then again, having a brand new Porsche is nice - so I doubt you would regret ordering new!
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

I've been sort of monitoring GTS second hand values for a few months now and my conclusion is that apart from the odd high mileage/low spec cars values have stayed pretty static. Early 16 plate cars consistently start in the mid 50s with some going into early 60s from OPCs. With no new cars expected until late next year I reckon that's where they're likely to stay until maybe next summer but only if demand for the new model outstrips supply as it did before and the waiting list grows.

I've got my name down for a .2 GTS and have been told that so far depending on supply the person at the bottom of the list could be waiting as much as 9 months or as little as 3 but they won't know until the get firm allocation numbers from the factory. As always unless you have a very reliable crystal ball no one really knows what's going to happen especially with Brexit just around the corner.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Kelly's Heroes wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:01 pm
Ian.g wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:01 pm I bought new because of that problem - but that was 2016. When I looked in July 2016 a 1 year old car was the same price as new. That problem doesn't apply now. There is real depreciation - which is a bit of a shock after the time of limited availability and rising prices. That article is too out of date to be relevant to you.
So you don't think the factory shutdown, the inability to order any Macan for the past few months + the new model not even available to order until the end of September. Have any affect on residuals?

Personally, I think if I order one when the order books open. There will be a huge demand. If I'm lucky enough to get delivery by end of year. I think depreciation will be almost nil or very minimal in the first year.
As someone who ran 4 Macan's for almost zero depreciation, I always have a keen eye on second hand values. The new Macan will be strong in the first year but please don't expect what happened last time when cars were going over list price. I think the new Macan will still depreciate albeit slower than the current model.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S