2l or S - and what should I spec?

All your ordering information here!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:50 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:23 pm As a spirited driver there are some Must Haves in any Macan you should have to maximise performance and handling, namely:-
PASM
21” wheels
18 way seats
Sports Chrono.

The above are (or were on pre-facelifted S and base variants) the Extras on base and S models that anyone wanting to maximise the performance and handling of their Macan includes, as they are standard on the GTS and Turbo models that should tell you about their worth...
Neither the GTS or Turbo had 21” wheels as standard kit. :geek:

Many found seats other than the 18-ways best for them, including some sporty drivers. ;)
Turbo didn't have SC as standard either.

18-ways are really for comfort/flexibility and a bit more lateral support. They're certainly not ideal to "maximise the performance and handling". That's nonsense.

For handling you'e likely to benefit from steel suspension, PASM, 20" or forged 21" wheels and as little additional weight as possible, so skip the sunroof, electric/heated/vented seats, etc etc. If you want a comfortable luxo barge that's a bit fun to drive too, then go wild on the option list!

But as you're considering a 2-tonne SUV and also a spirited drive, you're going to want some kind of compromise (because that's all you'll get).
Be honest with yourself about what you want, and give it a try.

In answer to your original question though, 2L or 3L S will both handle as well as each other, the 2L possibly better because it's lighter.
But neither are going to be particularly fast, and I'd argue that the 2L is not fast enough. There are plenty of badge snobs on here that will tell you it's "not a real Porsche".

The GTS or TurboPP have the best handling and performance potential, but will often be ruined by their owners in the option list.

Me? I'm on my second Turbo and happy with a compromise of power, handling, ride and comfort. Old geezer :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Paul wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 am But, Col, can you explain in what way the 18 way seats improve the handling of the car, and, other than launch control, what increased performance the Sports Chrono gives?

Also, whilst giving a lower profile, I’m not convinced 21” wheels do actually improve handling other than on absolutely billiard table smooth tracks, and even then, the lack of sidewall removes a bit of feel.
It is simple mechanical Engineering.

A spirited driver sat in an 18 way seat will be firmly enveloped by the seat and any force that the action of driving around a bend in the road at a higher speed than would be considered normal will involve a lateral force being imparted onto the driver. Eg drive quickly around a tight left hand bend and your body will want to move to the right. 18 way seats will stop this from happening and hence car control finesse will be maintained, conversely with seating that does not offer the support then that car control finesse will be difficult to maintain since the driver will not be held firmly in their seats since the lateral force will result in the drivers body moving relative to the seat

All Rally, F1, racing and all very high performance road cars have seating and seat belts that hold the driver firmly in their seats for the above reasons.

21” will help the handling, as long as PASM is fitted, the side flex of the tyres can actually detract from the handling since uncontrolled deflection can upset the steering geometry.

I would guess that you have not driven a Macan fitted with 21” wheels and without PASM, I have, there is plenty of feel, and the car is very easily upset by imperfections in road surfaces, if driving in a spirited manner grip can easily be lost as the standard hydraulic suspension fails to react to the road surfacing and the car feels as though it is skipping sideways in hops.

PASM reacts instantly to changes in the road surfacing by adjusting the damper rate and this reflects in not only a better quality of ride but it maintains tyre contact pressure with the road, the system also detects when spirited driving around bends occurs and it again adjusts the damping rate accordingly. It often seems by comments made here that members understanding of PASM is that it just gives three different suspensions settings, thats it, whilst yes it does but PASM is not a fixed three position system it is a dynamic control system that operates continuously and adjusts the system in miliseconds in reaction to the road surfacing and how the car is being driven.

It is very easy for people to say that they see no need for this or that and this frequently happens on this forum particularly when it is related to the ride, performance and handling of a Macan. All that shows is a lack of technical understanding in how various “Extras” affect how the car functions.

Hence:-

PASM is essential for maximising the handling capabilities of a Macan.

Large diameter wheels will aide in maximising the handling capabilities

18 way seats will hold the driver firmly in place and restrict any driver body movement which can impare their control of the car.

Separately:-

Sport Chrono gives a different engine and gearbox map and when active the feel of how the engine responds will be markedly different to the other two modes available. Maximum engine revs will be achieved before the gear is changed and the speed of the change will feel quicker. Conversely in Sport and Comfort modes the engine will not rev as high before a gear change is initiated, remember that an SD in comfort mode is very lethergic in gear change when the throttle is floored.

The performance benefit of SC is only marginal in practice, but it is there nevertheless.

Hope this clears up any confusion.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Cleared up all my confusions, thanks (and helped with my technical understandings....)

😂😂😂😂😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Interesting discussion... looks like Macan is like a Barbie for Men... (duck for cover :)
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
happy days

Post by happy days »

Where I live, the heated steering wheel is my favourite accessory.
Macan S D
718 S
reidoo

Post by reidoo »

happy days wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:11 am Where I live, the heated steering wheel is my favourite accessory.
👍 wouldn’t buy a car without one again.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Pedantic Mode: On

18 way seats do not improve the handling of the car. What they do is help the driver to make maximum use of the car's ability.

Pedantic Mode: Off
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Paul

Post by Paul »

On-Track wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:19 pm Pedantic Mode: On

18 way seats do not improve the handling of the car. What they do is help the driver to make maximum use of the car's ability.

Pedantic Mode: Off
In the same (pedantic😉) way Sport / Sport plus doesn’t give the car any more power or performance, it just makes the power and performance already there more easily accessible.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

...and 21" wheels primarily make the car look better! ;) 8-) :P
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4