2l or S - and what should I spec?

All your ordering information here!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:50 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:23 pm As a spirited driver there are some Must Haves in any Macan you should have to maximise performance and handling, namely:-
PASM
21” wheels
18 way seats
Sports Chrono.

The above are (or were on pre-facelifted S and base variants) the Extras on base and S models that anyone wanting to maximise the performance and handling of their Macan includes, as they are standard on the GTS and Turbo models that should tell you about their worth...
Neither the GTS or Turbo had 21” wheels as standard kit. :geek:

Many found seats other than the 18-ways best for them, including some sporty drivers. ;)
The Op wants a spirited drive that therefore means the best handling and best performing.

Agree about the seats 18 way are uncomfortable for me but if you want to be held firm then 18 way it is
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Suggest people read what the Op wants before commenting

This Must Haves has been done to death and those that reiterate that there are no Must Haves cannot possibly have driven a basic Macan, one devoid of any Extras. I have, it was dire, only thise interested in driving a Porsche badge and having a driving style like seen in Driving Miss Daisy would buy such a car.

The Op likes to drive in a spirited manner, by inference that should mean using maximum handling and performance hence:-
PASM,
21” wheels
Sports Chrono
18 way seats

Are the Must Haves for maximum handling and performanceand if anyone advises to the contrary then ignore them for they know zilch.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

But, Col, can you explain in what way the 18 way seats improve the handling of the car, and, other than launch control, what increased performance the Sports Chrono gives?

Also, whilst giving a lower profile, I’m not convinced 21” wheels do actually improve handling other than on absolutely billiard table smooth tracks, and even then, the lack of sidewall removes a bit of feel.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

Ray G wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:28 am Transferred to new post on behalf of Stanley246 as suggested by Col Lamb

G/Day Forum

About to place an order for a 2019 Macan , now the the decision is the should I purchase a 2 Ltr or the v6 S ? ......my worry is I do like to drive enthusiastically ( but within the law) would the four cly be underpowered ?

Now although lm still undecided,I have a provisional order contract with my local dealer for a 2019 Macan S (update model) for hopeful delivery ro Oz in April 19 Ive listed the add ons and wondered if one of You’s could advise if there something I’ve missed ( and also answer my 2 Ltr 3 Ltr decision)

Black Garnet two tone leather
Titled tail lights for the new rear lights design
Panoramic roof
Sport design exterior mirrors
Sport exhaust with black tail pipes
21 inch sport classic wheels in black
Adaptive sport seats
Red seat belts
Porsche crest embossed head rest
Bose sound system

Rgs Alan
My 2 Aussie dollars worth........

Panoramic roof - save the cash..... when it’s too cold it stays shut..... when it’s too hot it stays shut.... net net opened rarely and a horrible noise at speed
Sound system....... guess it depends on the individual but with tinnitus and a preference for DAB radio I find the standard set up fine
Lane Change Assist ... lazy and never replaces the life saver over the shoulder check but it is very useful
Surround cam ... find it useful in tight spots. Might not be needed given that Oz is such a big place :D
Ventilated seats....... tremendous...... thought they were a luxury at the time but wouldn’t be without them now. Might be useful in hot climes
Super dooper noise and heat protection glass..... didn’t spec it myself but heard good reviews of it.... once again in a hot place could be useful
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Paul wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 am Also, whilst giving a lower profile, I’m not convinced 21” wheels do actually improve handling other than on absolutely billiard table smooth tracks, and even then, the lack of sidewall removes a bit of feel.
Exactly! As I stated above, neither the GTS or Turbo came as standard on 21” wheels.

The fact that the GTS model came on 20” wheels indicates to me that the Porsche engineers felt the 20” wheel was the best choice for optimum handling. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:28 pm
Paul wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 am Also, whilst giving a lower profile, I’m not convinced 21” wheels do actually improve handling other than on absolutely billiard table smooth tracks, and even then, the lack of sidewall removes a bit of feel.
Exactly! As I stated above, neither the GTS or Turbo came as standard on 21” wheels.

The fact that the GTS model came on 20” wheels indicates to me that the Porsche engineers felt the 20” wheel was the best choice for optimum handling. :geek:
And take away a lucrative "upgrade" to 21s?
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ah yes, Porsche are masters at “upselling” to maximise profit! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

Pano roof is a must have in Oz. The vast majority of Macans in Oz have it, and it will definitely affect residual value without it, and might make it quite hard to sell.

Also you will use it more than you think. I use it almost every day, and can therefore do without the a/c most of the time, which helps fuel consumption
Macman

Post by Macman »

For me, my favourite extra is the PSE. Every time I drive the car it’s the first button to get pressed and it puts a smile on my face every time. If the OP likes a bit of spirited driving I think the extra aural bombardment will add to the fun.
I collected the car from the factory at Leipzig and asked about the PSE. I was told it’s a pair of flaps near the exhaust which open and allow more sound to enter the structure of the car e.g. the box sections. Anyway whatever it is I love it and it’s the main reason why I won’t even consider a whining, buzzing, whooshing electric milk float :lol:

By the way, get a Macan S, I’ve driven a 2 litre and it seemed to lack character: performance, sound and drama - all absent. It was grey as well, don’t get me started on colours though ;)
Porsche history: 924 S, 944 S2, 996.2, 987.1, Macan S
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

Macman wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:43 pm For me, my favourite extra is the PSE. Every time I drive the car it’s the first button to get pressed and it puts a smile on my face every time. If the OP likes a bit of spirited driving I think the extra aural bombardment will add to the fun.
I collected the car from the factory at Leipzig and asked about the PSE. I was told it’s a pair of flaps near the exhaust which open and allow more sound to enter the structure of the car e.g. the box sections. Anyway whatever it is I love it and it’s the main reason why I won’t even consider a whining, buzzing, whooshing electric milk float :lol:

By the way, get a Macan S, I’ve driven a 2 litre and it seemed to lack character: performance, sound and drama - all absent. It was grey as well, don’t get me started on colours though ;)
You’re a big kid, just like me.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)