Tracking

All your ordering information here!
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Fairynuff wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:02 am
I read it and it's all good but it doesn't give me the answers I want. Taking aside cloning of keys and remote capturing of key signals for later cloning in my experience the most likely and most frightening scenario is the drug addict or Rumanian gypsy who will burgle my home for the keys. The solution to this in the article is "make it easy for them so they don't come into the bedroom." Surely someone has come up with better solutions than that? So far it seems to come down to 'give them the keys or buy a gun, surely there's a middle ground'.
Middle ground below 🤔😉

IMG_0435.JPG

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6

goron59

Post by goron59 »

I'm just trying to imagine the interview/forms you'd have to fill in to buy the gun....
q: what's the gun for?
a: to shoot people who try to steal my car

At least you'd go to jail and not need your car any more :lol:
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Paul1970

Post by Paul1970 »

One thing I don’t like about the Porsche tracker is that as soon as there is an alert (for example, if the car is being towed) you lose access to the Porsche “where’s my car” app so basically you can’t know where your own vehicle is. Not sure if that’s how all tracking systems work but i’d quite like to be able to see whatever the tracking company see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Porsche Cayenne GTS, Quarzite Grey) (Nov 21) (Mine :D )
E-Mini (Oct 21) (Hers)
VW ID3 (May 23 local runaround) (Ours)
Porsche Macan GTS, Sapphire Blue, 2018 (sold :cry: )
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Paul1970 wrote:One thing I don’t like about the Porsche tracker is that as soon as there is an alert (for example, if the car is being towed) you lose access to the Porsche “where’s my car” app so basically you can’t know where your own vehicle is. Not sure if that’s how all tracking systems work but i’d quite like to be able to see whatever the tracking company see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't necessarily like it either, but I can see the logic. If the phone is compromised, e.g. stolen with the car, or worse, the owner is still in the car, the crims can see the tracking position... not ideal for fast recovery.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Pivot wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:30 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: I suspect, Porsche tracking is for a roadside assistance with broken-down vehicles... chasing crims is a different undertaking entirely, unless it is explicitly stated as part of the service.
————————
Not so, read the information on the Porsche website.
Well... as I suspected Chasing crims is another contract with another company or the police.
Quote from the website: “Once confirmed that it is a theft, the security centre begins all the necessary steps to recover your classic car as quickly as possible: Our security centre manages the communication with the nearest police station and helps the emergency forces to retrieve your car using the intelligent vehicle localisation.”
You originally said you thought it was only for Porsche breakdown assistance, now you’re saying it’s not tracking because it involves other agencies. How does that differ from other tracking services?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Nuclear Nick wrote: You originally said you thought it was only for Porsche breakdown assistance, now you’re saying it’s not tracking because it involves other agencies. How does that differ from other tracking services?
Hey Nick, I don’t want to argue... I believe that Porsche has a first-class tracking system, however, their roadside assistance is not geared-up to deal with the syndicates that might be prepared to exert violence to relieve us of our cool cars and they would rather pass the info to the LE agency to deal with recovery of the unit.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Paul wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:35 pm An old post but well worth reading from start to finish..
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4116&hilit=Tracker
I read it and it's all good but it doesn't give me the answers I want. Taking aside cloning of keys and remote capturing of key signals for later cloning in my experience the most likely and most frightening scenario is the drug addict or Rumanian gypsy who will burgle my home for the keys. The solution to this in the article is "make it easy for them so they don't come into the bedroom." Surely someone has come up with better solutions than that? So far it seems to come down to 'give them the keys or buy a gun, surely there's a middle ground'.
Look for a tracker that has GPS/GSM and VHF. Withought VHF they are not overly difficult to jam but jamming VHF signal is not that easy.
Also VHF signal will work underground or in a shipping container.
Also some trackers have some clever way to minimise the jamming. Ask plenty of questions to the relevant Tracker companies and don’t base it on their lovely glossy websites with fancy stats.

Treat security as multi layer. Your home security should be top notch initially to protect you and your family.
Again multi layer with decent locks, alarm and any other items you wish to add. As we all know if someone wants something they can bypass most things but the idea is keep the majority away as they will find a much easier target.
Minimise the risk of it happening in the first place in anyway that works for your environment and situation.

Having a tracker gives you a very high rate of car return in the event of theft. And more often then not in perfect condition especially the high value vehicles.
Last edited by Kasfranks99 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTS 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

MikeM wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:52 am
Middle ground below 🤔😉IMG_0435.JPG
If the car was parked on your drive with wheel clamps like that it shouts....... I’m an expensive desirable car, nick me.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:16 pm
If the car was parked on your drive with wheel clamps like that it shouts....... I’m an expensive desirable car, nick me.
[/quote]

Ah yes but it could also shout " CANT AFFORD THE REPAYMENTS, I HAVE BEEN REPOSSESSED!" :lol: :lol:
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Shirley if you can afford an expensive desirable car, you can afford a place to keep it safely? Or can afford to lose it?
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR