Wheels

All your ordering information here!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Fairynuff wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:05 am The question I am torturing over is . . . . having chosen the 21" 911 wheels with their low profile will do I need PASM and it's 'Comfort' mode to mitigate the ride over the speeds bumps. Does anyone know what 'mode' the car is in without PASM?

PASM £1,860
Air suspension with self-levelling function and ride-height adjustment including Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Fully load-bearing air-spring struts, a total of three ride-height positions and possibility to lower rear axle to Loading Level, variable damping system with continuous regulation of damping force to reduce body movements as the situation demands, PASM damper mapping with three manually selectable modes ("Comfort", "SPORT" and "SPORT PLUS"). Includes self-levelling function
If you are not going to include PASM and have doubts then try to find a demo Macan with 21” wheels and no PASM that you can take out to test drive.

Personally I think that you will struggle to find one.

Why?

Because its a goddamn awful ride with no PASM and 21” and no OPC in the right mind would have such a combo.

Others may like it, but if I liken it to a Beamer on M suspension with flat run flat tyres then that should give you an idea of what to expect.

It depends upon what you are used to, me I come from a smooth riding Jag not a teeth loostening rock hard Audi or Beamer.

We cannot tell you what is right for you only you can by test driving a Macan with the wheel size, seating, suspension and steering that you intend to order.

I wish I had cash for every time that I have written that last sentance.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

VanB

Post by VanB »

Much as it pains me to say so I agree with Col on the above. I would not contemplate 21" wheels without PASM but the choice is, of course, yours.

You did ask what mode it comes in without PASM. There is no mode, no damping, you are just sat on concrete hard low profile tyres on steel springs with no auxiliary smoothing so imagine Fred Flinstone's car except you won't have to propel it with your legs (total exaggeration but you get the picture)
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:48 pm Because its a goddamn awful ride with no PASM and 21” and no OPC in the right mind would have such a combo.

test driving a Macan with the wheel size, seating, suspension and steering that you intend to order.
Of course I had a test drive and that was in what they had available nearest my spec (including 21" wheels, not including 3 litre engine). I live in the middle of 3 Porsche showrooms each 30 miles away so it's not a simple matter of keep nipping round there. I've been to each one to see different things not available all in the same place. The whole (Porsche) buying experience compared to other manufacturers (for me) has been poor (understatement). I was about to give up when I went to the 3rd dealer and found a helpful salesman who'd only recently joined Porsche (hence he was helpful) (I am his first sale). He has been very helpful but I accept he's learning. I asked him about PASM and he told me that "without PASM the car is fixed in comfort mode" i.e. if I don't intend to use sport mode I am wasting my money. Reading your reply to post on PASM it sounds like he is wrong?

This car manufacturer's core values are all about the driving experience, why would they make a car with options (21" wheels) with suspension that can't handle them? No other car manufacturer has so many extras, costing so much money, that's OK but for all that money I expect that if they offer extra A and know it won't function well unless you include extra B that they would put them together. What are we paying for?
VanB

Post by VanB »

In the same way that you can spec your car in distasteful colour combinations, you can also spec in distasteful driving combinations. Who are Porsche to argue if you want to spend £15 - 20k on mismatched or unpopular options?
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Fairynuff wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:05 am The question I am torturing over is . . . . having chosen the 21" 911 wheels with their low profile will do I need PASM and it's 'Comfort' mode to mitigate the ride over the speeds bumps. Does anyone know what 'mode' the car is in without PASM?

PASM £1,860
Air suspension with self-levelling function and ride-height adjustment including Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Fully load-bearing air-spring struts, a total of three ride-height positions and possibility to lower rear axle to Loading Level, variable damping system with continuous regulation of damping force to reduce body movements as the situation demands, PASM damper mapping with three manually selectable modes ("Comfort", "SPORT" and "SPORT PLUS"). Includes self-levelling function
I don’t think this is a decision that anybody can make for you. It depends on how you want the ride to be and if you want any control over it. PASM gives you some control.

Also there is no mode withought PASM. PASM is constantly working in whatever mode you have it in adjusting based on the road conditions.

Withought PASM it’s the steel springs.

For me PASM every time but it’s your money. It came standard on my GTS and I use it regularly depending on the road surface / driving style I want.
I have driven Macans on 20” withought PASM and it was acceptable I would think on 21” I would of not have been happy unless PASM was added but that’s my opinion.
I have been driving some Audi hard suspensions and certainly wanted to get away from that for the Macan. Very happy having it just like I opted NOT to have run flats on a MINI. But many people are perfectly happy doing it differently.

Porsche give you choices which unfortunately makes decisions more difficult unless you have the chance to test it for yourself.
GTS 😀
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

VanB wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:37 pm Who are Porsche to argue if you want to spend £15 - 20k on mismatched options?
I don't expect Porsche to argue with me, in fact I expect Porsche not to argue with me but I do expect them to advise me. I expect Porsche (the manufacturer) not to offer optional extras that don't function well unless they are chosen with another optional extra without making that other extra obligatory AND I expect Porsche (the salesman) to have sufficient training to be able to advise customers that optional extra A will not function well without also choosing optional extra B as well. That's what I expect but perhaps I am expecting too much!

All that said, the reason I am on this forum is because this is (for me) a massive amount of money and I want to get it right. I have emailed them and told them to add PASM (the £800+ option). Please continue to steer me to where I need to be.

PKKAPCD7
Last edited by Fairynuff on Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VanB

Post by VanB »

I think you expect too much from the sales exec. The confuserator forces some options on you when you choose others but definitely doesn’t provide advice. IIRC the sales guys get most of their commission from options so the more you load your wagon the better for them
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

VanB wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:34 pm IIRC the sales guys get most of their commission from options so the more you load your wagon the better for them
Don't think that was the case when I bought mine VanB. I have to admit I don't know exactly how they were incentivised but I was given to understand it wasn't through inflating the spec. I also don't know if that policy varies between OPCs. Not that helpful a reply I know, but I wouldn't want Fairynuff and others to get the wrong information.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Fairynuff wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:24 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:48 pm Because its a goddamn awful ride with no PASM and 21” and no OPC in the right mind would have such a combo.

test driving a Macan with the wheel size, seating, suspension and steering that you intend to order.
Of course I had a test drive and that was in what they had available nearest my spec (including 21" wheels, not including 3 litre engine). I live in the middle of 3 Porsche showrooms each 30 miles away so it's not a simple matter of keep nipping round there. I've been to each one to see different things not available all in the same place. The whole (Porsche) buying experience compared to other manufacturers (for me) has been poor (understatement). I was about to give up when I went to the 3rd dealer and found a helpful salesman who'd only recently joined Porsche (hence he was helpful) (I am his first sale). He has been very helpful but I accept he's learning. I asked him about PASM and he told me that "without PASM the car is fixed in comfort mode" i.e. if I don't intend to use sport mode I am wasting my money. Reading your reply to post on PASM it sounds like he is wrong?

This car manufacturer's core values are all about the driving experience, why would they make a car with options (21" wheels) with suspension that can't handle them? No other car manufacturer has so many extras, costing so much money, that's OK but for all that money I expect that if they offer extra A and know it won't function well unless you include extra B that they would put them together. What are we paying for?
It is a fact..... Porsche cars sell themselves.

Many on this forum waited 18 months for their Macan and as you a finding there were not any new Macans for a long period in 2018.

In fact before 2018 some OPCs stopped taking GTS orders because they could not give even a rough delivery date. When I was looking for my first Macan an S had a 15 month wait where an SD was at least 6 months.

If you think you have been hard done by, go into Porsche at Wilmslow, their clientel are the Cheshire Set where a £100k+ Porsche is small change to them so the SEs do not have to work at it.

Back to your experience, the SE was so wrong, without PASM it is as being in Comfort mode, that is so far off the actuals.

Porsche make basic stripped down Macans because many buyers are not driving enthusiasts, they are those with plenty of disposable income who want a car to shuttle the kids to school, to do the shopping with, you know its the Chelsea Tractor set, they who simply want to drive a badge, it is a second car for the City.

A Macan is also stripped bare for the newbies to the marque who can just afford a £50k car and as such it is an entry vehicle which compared to other marques it is not much of a premium in cost, its only when a few extras are added that it becomes a comfortable car to be in but by that time the newbie has driven a Macan it becomes to late the hook is embedded and they are reeled in.

It is the same with a 911, most are weekender cars, I would be interested if the 911 owners here use their 911’s on a daily commute on a regular basis day in day out.

The thread in the Order section, what to specify, is still very valid.

What follows is my own opinion on what I suggest is included or given very serious consideration. Please take time out to read it.
My suggestion of the minimum inclusions in the specification of any Macan that I would buy is these:-

14 or 18 way seats .
Basic non GTS 8 way seats have a flat back and are not as comfortable as the upgrades, GTS 8 way seem more comfortable than standard, however do test drive a Macan fitted with the 8 way seats if considering retaining them.

LED lights .
LEDs are a quantum leap improvement over Xenons, they also include the adaptive headlight function.

PASM.
Gives adjustable suspension which results in a smoother ride and better handling capabilities, this really is the key inclusion to have to get the best ride and handling in a Macan.

20" wheels.
A personal choice, 20" gives a good compromise on looks, handling and kerb management.

PS+.
Lightens steering load at parking speeds then progressively reduces to zero assist at road speeds.

Spare wheel.
Plus two purchased cans of sealant / inflator gives options in the event of a flat and especially an unrepairable/damaged tyre/wheel.

Reversing camera.
Rear quarter vision is poor, to check out yourself in a test drive by parallel parking the demo car, if funds allow then Surround Camera is even better.

Interior light pack,
Replaces bulbs with LEDs for a more pleasing interior look and the all important illuminated mirrors.

The above are the key inclusions or extras that I recommend you specify.

Other popular inclusions are:-
Pano sunroof, lightens a dark interior
Tinted glass, purely for looks and it enhances the stealth look with blacked out trim
SD mirrors, an aesthetic choice often fitted due to the questionable quality of standard mirror mount.
Colour matched side blades, enhances look and will aid cleaning.
Roof rails, its an SUV so kind of expected, but looks equally great without
Heated seats, useful.
Heated steering wheel, a favourite of mine that gets used more than the heated seats.
Sports Chrono, gives dial in top centre of dash plus launch control and more aggressive gearbox and throttle maps.
Porsche Sports Exhaust, do note that PSE is an aural performance addition only and has no power increase benefits.
Leather upgrades, an almost universal upgrade on non GTS Macans.
Smoking pack, covers the hole in front of drinks holders.
ACC, gives adaptive cruise control which is far better than standard, it also includes Porsche Active Safe braking system which is not fitted unless ACC is specified.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:56 pm
VanB wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:34 pm IIRC the sales guys get most of their commission from options so the more you load your wagon the better for them
Don't think that was the case when I bought mine VanB. I have to admit I don't know exactly how they were incentivised but I was given to understand it wasn't through inflating the spec. I also don't know if that policy varies between OPCs. Not that helpful a reply I know, but I wouldn't want Fairynuff and others to get the wrong information.
Fair comment, Nick and I can’t remember where I heard that but I absolutely was told direct commission on options plus a volume bonus based on units. As you say whether or not this is consistent across OPCs or even the case with a single OPC is open to speculation but I didn’t make it up out of the ether either