Spare wheel

All your ordering information here!
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

I see that a spare wheel is an accessory option (although I can't see how much!)

I included that option on my Q5, three cars back and I did that because I know that using the squirty stuff will ruin the tyre and maybe the wheel. All that said, for the past 10 years I have wondered if the degree of difficulty in changing a tyre at the road side is a bit too difficult. Yes, in my life and younger days I have changed many wheels but apart for being younger then wheels then were about 18" wide and weighed about 10ilbs. Today, aside from taking off a 21" wheel, after taking it off I don't know if I could lift it into the boot?

All that aside the question I have is . . . would the (collapsed) spare wheel and associated jack and kit on my Q5 do the job on a Macan?

Guy

Post by Guy »

The spare wheel was £155 when I ordered mine in Sep 2015 - I very much doubt that it has gone up much since.

I very much doubt that the Q5 spare would fit - either in the spare wheel 'well' or on the hub!

Don't forget that you can always call out Porsche Assist to fit your own spare wheel at the roadside, thus keeping you mobile and able to visit your choice of dealers for puncture repair or replacement whenever.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

The last time I looked, the spare 18” wheel was £180

I would also consider run-flat tyres. Used it once in the last 20 years... it worked very well.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I didn't bother with spare on my first Macan (actually, I had no choice, as it was second hand) and wasn't going to bother with Macan №2 as I was led to believe (wrongly by the sales guy) that you can't have BOSE if you have a spare.

Anyways, just before Christmas, I got a puncture and was thankful for the spare as it got me around for a couple of days and kept me going until I could get it sorted out properly.

Couldn't be arsed to do the changeover myself, so AA came out within about 20 mins and did the job.

Probably a good thing as he had trouble getting my wheel off, trouble getting the space saver inflated to his satisfaction, and stuck around to be sure it was all ok.

Would be a no brainer option to tick for the next car - if it was an option.

With previous vehicles, I've had sticky foam kit and never got it to work properly, so still ended up calling roadside assistance.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I had a flat in an area of the Lake District with no mobile signal and to make it worst It happened on a single track road.

I changed it myself, it took about an hour and the 20” spyder was damn arkward and heavy to lift into the boot.

Doing it myself enable me to drop off the flat at Lakeland Porsche just before they closed, something I would not have been able to do if I had somehow been able to contact Porsche Assist and had waited for the AA or whoever to turn up.

As it was the puncture was a large gash that the squirty stuff would not have sealed so I would have had to been relayed home, then again the car would have had to be collected and taken to the dealer for the repair in the next day ir so.

So yes a spare is well worth including.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Pivot wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:23 pm The last time I looked, the spare 18” wheel was £180

I would also consider run-flat tyres. Used it once in the last 20 years... it worked very well.
We would be pleased to learn of any N Rated runflats available for a Macan.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
VanB

Post by VanB »

A spare wasn’t an option on the 911 - you are just expected to call Porsche assist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

It would probably be difficult to get someone to confirm Q5 spare wheel would be suitable. If you had both wheel and car probably best to try it.

The Macan wheels are huge and heavy - not easy to change.

I like having the spare but hope never have to use it.......
VanB

Post by VanB »

I would maintain that for 99% of people a spare wheel is a pointless purchase as you are unlikely to be able to change it yourself. Col’s experience aside I think most people would be better off on a flat bed to the nearest OPC

Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Peter_L

Post by Peter_L »

VanB wrote:I would maintain that for 99% of people a spare wheel is a pointless purchase as you are unlikely to be able to change it yourself. Col’s experience aside I think most people would be better off on a flat bed to the nearest OPC

Having had a spate of flats and the need to be somewhere it’s a 15 minute job to fit a spare and it’s good practice for changing over to your winters. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro