Spare wheel

All your ordering information here!
VanB

Post by VanB »

It’s a 15 minute job IF you can actually get the wheel off and IF you can get the spare inflated and IF you can actually lift the punctured wheel into your boot.

Good luck with all of that.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Bigboyrolo wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:48 pm
Pivot wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:23 pm The last time I looked, the spare 18” wheel was £180

I would also consider run-flat tyres. Used it once in the last 20 years... it worked very well.
We would be pleased to learn of any N Rated runflats available for a Macan.
There are no runflat N rated tyres available fortunately. The only reason they can be 'run flat' is because they have very stiff sidewalls and that ruins the ride and handling.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Peter_L

Post by Peter_L »

VanB wrote:It’s a 15 minute job IF you can actually get the wheel off and IF you can get the spare inflated and IF you can actually lift the punctured wheel into your boot.

This and a bit of that...

If you can’t lift 20kg then there are bigger issues to discuss. My biggest bugbear is finding where the damn log lug migrated to each time I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
goron59

Post by goron59 »

VanB wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:45 pm I would maintain that for 99% of people a spare wheel is a pointless purchase as you are unlikely to be able to change it yourself. Col’s experience aside I think most people would be better off on a flat bed to the nearest OPC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My OPC said it would take 12 days to get replacement tyres so a trip to the OPC is generally useless. Kwikfit needed 5 days. Blackcircles could do it in 3. OPCs don't have a fleet of replacement vehicles and the roadside assistance doesn't cover getting a hire car.

So actually, a spare wheel is quite handy. Unless you want to ride around on a gunk-filled tyre, assuming the tyre/wheel isn't damaged. In my last 3 cases, the wheel was damaged so the gunk wouldn't have worked anyway.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
VanB

Post by VanB »

Peter_L wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:57 pm
VanB wrote:It’s a 15 minute job IF you can actually get the wheel off and IF you can get the spare inflated and IF you can actually lift the punctured wheel into your boot.

This and a bit of that...

If you can’t lift 20kg then there are bigger issues to discuss. My biggest bugbear is finding where the damn log lug migrated to each time I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If a 20” wheel with tyre were only 20kg I would agree with you. I’ve tried to find the weight online but failed. Don’t forget that a significant proportion of drivers spec PS+ because the normal steering is too heavy :shock:
Guy

Post by Guy »

Rear Sports Classic 21" (including tyre) is about 30Kg, according to the US forum.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

My understanding is you can’t call porsche assist if you have a tyre / wheel issue unless you have a spare wheel. Others may be able to confirm this?

This is the reason I picked it so the wife can call for someone to deal with if required.
GTS 😀
VanB

Post by VanB »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:50 pm My understanding is you can’t call porsche assist if you have a tyre / wheel issue unless you have a spare wheel. Others may be able to confirm this?

This is the reason I picked it so the wife can call for someone to deal with if required.
So how does that work with a 718 or 911 then, neither of which can be equipped with a spare wheel?
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Bigboyrolo wrote:
Pivot wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:23 pm The last time I looked, the spare 18” wheel was £180

I would also consider run-flat tyres. Used it once in the last 20 years... it worked very well.
We would be pleased to learn of any N Rated runflats available for a Macan.
Pirelli claims to have Porsche approved (or, engineered with) run-flat tyres:
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car ... macan/2018
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
andreas

Post by andreas »

VanB wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:45 pm I would maintain that for 99% of people a spare wheel is a pointless purchase as you are unlikely to be able to change it yourself. Col’s experience aside I think most people would be better off on a flat bed to the nearest OPC
I had a puncture a few months ago. Although I have a spare, I simply jacked up the Macan in the drive, took the wheel off, took it to a decent local tyre place to have it repaired, then collected it and refitted it on the car. I'd always think that having a spare wheel is worthwhile - it's not rocket science to change it. If you rely on Porsche Assist, you'll be met with a firm refusal to repair a simple puncture, and a bill for (at least) one new tyre.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)