How does the process go . . .
1. spec it,
2. pay initial deposit
3. Get an order slot (date?)
4. Pay top up deposit when ???
8. Take delivery,

CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Not quite....obviously depends how far in advance things are happening, but for a normal factory order...

1. Pay initial deposit
2. Receive invite to Porsche Experience Day at Silverstone. Go to Silverstone.
3. Confirm specification (often called 'lockdown').
4. (maybe) pay top up deposit, depending on OPC and spec. I didn't have to pay a top up deposit even though I had > £15K in options.
5. Wait
6. Car arrives
7. Pay balance
8. Pick up car
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
andreas

Post by andreas »

I came up with my spec, went to OPC, discussed possible "sweeteners", paid £3K deposit, waited a few months until OPC told me to lock down the final spec, waited some more, car was delivered to OPC, I inspected it, then paid balance on the day and drove it away.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

It's usually:
1. You pay initial refundable deposit. £3k for a Macan.
2. OPC allocates you an available build slot that they have in their order system (or you're on the waiting list until you get to Number 1).
3. OPC eventually tells you when the build date is.
4. The 'lock down' date is six weeks before build. Some OPCs require a top-up deposit at this point.
5. OPC confirms car is built, known as 'CP08'.
6. Car goes by train to Emden to await vehicle carrier to Sheerness for the South, Grimsby for the North.
7. You wait patiently for news of your car's arrival at the OPC. Usually there is no progress update from the CP08 date until arrival at OPC. This can be from seven days (rare) to around 21 or more.
8. Car is prepared at OPC, you agree collection date, collect car after transferring balance.

Others will have had slightly different experiences, but all generally the same.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
VanB

Post by VanB »

^ This.

Personally, I have never known anyone who had to pay a "top-up" deposit although I guess it may be required if you have a wild spec?
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:56 pm 3. OPC eventually tells you when the build date is.
I presume this is the date they start 'building' it and presumably ( give or take a couple of days) the delivery date must be predictable from then?
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Do we know how far ahead the dealer will commit to a part exchange price i.e. how long I will have to try and sell my car for a better price?
Paul

Post by Paul »

No top up for me on either of mine (approx £7 K options on first SD and around £10 K on current GTS, but I suppose at the time build slots were at a premium and my options were “sensible”j
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Paul

Post by Paul »

Fairynuff wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:37 pm Do we know how far ahead the dealer will commit to a part exchange price i.e. how long I will have to try and sell my car for a better price?
They probably won’t commit until the month they anticipate delivery.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Fairynuff wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:37 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:56 pm 3. OPC eventually tells you when the build date is.
I presume this is the date they start 'building' it and presumably ( give or take a couple of days) the delivery date must be predictable from then?
Yes, start of build, which is about three days to complete, at which time the car moves to the factory compound. This is point CP08. The cars usually move almost immediately to Emden. Unfortunately cars can wait any number of days or weeks there. This wait is unpredictable. Likewise the transport time once the car leaves Emden until it arrives at the OPC. This is why the OPC staff are extremely unwilling to give you a delivery date (to them) because they usually don't know! Sometimes they are taken by surprise when cars arrive on a transporter! For all these reasons they tend to under promise on expected delivery.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA