Dash Cam

All your ordering information here!
Hitman999

Post by Hitman999 »

I was looking at this BlackVue front and rear camera setup for £216 in Halfords.

https://www.halfords.com/technology/das ... nd-sd-card

Halfords do fitting too for £30 but not sure if they do fitting to the Macan. Will have to give them a call and find out.
Current: 991.2 Carrera S
Sold: BMW G20 320d Xdrive M Sport
Sold: Porsche Macan GTS Night Blue / Full GTS Interior
Sold: F80 M3 Black Sapphire/Sakhir Orange
Sold: E92 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red Leather

Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

If you don't want to interfere with the wiring how about a powerpack which can be recharged on USB?
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
DandyDon

Post by DandyDon »

Wouldn’t the problems with wiring and warranty be solved if the camera had a rechargeable battery like an iPhone? It would need to be recharged regularly but you could do that from the car with a spare lightning/usb cable. Most of the time you wouldn’t need the cable so it all looks tidy?!?!?! Hopefully the battery would last longer than an iPhone.

Maybe such a solution exists but I haven’t been able to find one.

What are the advantages of hardwiring other then always on, proximity sensor
Guy

Post by Guy »

It's quite easy to route the power cable neatly to one of the 12V charging sockets, and there's plenty of detailed advice is this and the US Forum. Mine's routed down the left of the windscreen, behind the glove box, down the left hand edge of the centre console and is plugged into the rear lighter socket. Very little cable remains visible, and I have no warranty concerns. (In fact I highlighted my installation to the service advisor when I had the 111 point inspection, and there were no issues.)

When plugged into the 12V lighter socket you have the advantage of 30 mins of power (hence recording) after you have turned off the ignition, and without any battery worries (car or dashcam). Mine's a Blackvue.
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

It may only be hearsay but would you genuinely want to take the risk? I had a speed camera locator hard wired into my macan and I used piggyback fuse holders.
I just unplugged it and removed the wires every time the car went back to the OPC. In those days it hardly went back so the inconvenience was slight. If I’d have wired it into my Cayenne I would be as fast as an F1 pit crew removing it due to the amount of visits I’ve had.

Choice and opinions are subjective. If you have balls the size of Mellon’s then you may say it is worth the risk. You pays your money....
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

My strong suggestion is that you fit a dashcam asap, don't get too hung up on type or hardwiring etc. As Forrest Gump said "s**t happens".

I fitted a new Thinkware F70 to Mrs B's Fiat 500 before Christmas, she wanted her car asap to empty Sainsbury's shelves, so no time to set the clock, although I see that the date was correct. 2 hours later on the way home, a car did a U turn in front of her, resulting in a spell in hospital and the car written off - all perfectly recorded in 1080p with sound. Unless you see the footage, its hard to accept how the crash occurred - surely she could have avoided the other car? - great to have undisputed evidence, her lights were on, doing about 25mph and double white lines in centre of road (you don't expect the Spanish Inqisition). 4 weeks later she is recovering well from a fractured sternum, bruised ribs and lots of soft tissue damage, no win no fee PI injury claim in hand.

The forum won't accept the 20second video, so footage here - https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u=ht ... z=41943040

The F70 is quite basic, no wifi to download to a phone, the card needs to be in a computer to be read by the software but it does have an energy saving parking mode (no hard wiring) and saftey camera warning (£20 GPS gizmo reqd) plus a few other bits of software. Its only about 3" long and fits out of sight behind the rv mirror in the Fiat. Fitting took about 10 minutes with 99% of the power wire concealed, its since been in two loan cars and now the replacement Fiat, I put black elect tape over any shiny bits to help conceal it. Link here:- https://thinkwaredashcam.store/product/ ... h-cam-f70/

Its the smallest and least expensive they do, I have the larger F750 with rear camera in the Porsche, 4th car its been fitted to, I just plug it in, I don't consider parking mode relevant to me. Am now thinking that the Fiat needs a rear camera because I understand that most accidents occur near home in built up areas, rather than cruising along an Autobahn at 100+mph.

So, buy one now, imo you really don't need a screen , fit it immediately - it could pay off, esp to your 'town' car.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16