Potential S Order - Comments Welcomed

All your ordering information here!
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Hi all - first post here as considering a Macan. We are a family of 5 (kids 9, 6 and 2) and have a Q7 with a tow bar / roof rack etc that is our "family car", used when we all go out (weekends and holidays etc). We also have a 2017 S3 Sportback which is my wife's daily driver and is the car we are looking to replace.

Drove the 2.0 yesterday and my wife thought it was OK, however I will also drive it and am used to a little more performance (having had numerous S / RS Audis), so it is the Macan S for me.

We saw a few colours, and my wife is set on Volcano Grey with dark wheels - the stealth look. Have been through the configurator and the key options I have chosen include the below, coming out just over £62k (had hoped to keep under £60k):

Exterior Colour
  • Volcano Grey Metallic
Interior Colour
  • Black leather package with partial leather seats £ 1,094.00
Exterior
  • SportDesign package without SportDesign sideskirts £ 1,515.00
  • Panoramic roof system £ 1,137.00
  • Privacy glass £ 333.00
  • Roof rails in aluminium, painted in black £ 245.00
  • Sideblades painted in exterior colour £ 404.00
  • Side window trims in black (high-gloss) £ 143.00
  • Running boards £ 725.00
Engine, transmission and chassis
  • Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) £ 816.00
  • Sports tailpipes in black £ 548.00
  • 20-inch Macan Turbo wheels in satin platinum £ 2,576.00
Lighting and vision
  • Tinted LED taillights including light strip £ 425.00
Comfort and assistance systems
  • ParkAssist (front and rear) including reversing camera £ 362.00
Interior
  • 14-way electric seats (front) with memory package £ 1,044.00
  • Seat heating (front) £ 294.00
  • Side airbags in rear compartment £ 261.00
  • Smoking package £ 38.00
Audio and communication
  • BOSE® Surround Sound System £ 834.00
Car comes out like this:

macan1.png

macan2.png

There are some options I considered, that didn't get added and some other changes I am considering based on similar discussions:

Remove roof bars (we 99% won't use them, was only a resale consideration)
Remove BOSE - haven't heard the standard system, but am sure it is fine for Radio 2
Remove painted side blades - not sure how noticeable a difference on a dark grey car
Remove leather - need to see one without it (every car in the dealer had it...)
Remove sports tailpipes - only getting these as they are black (not for the sport look) to fit the theme of the car
Remove sport design pack and instead get rear apron painted
Add LED lights - these get highly rated
Add Sports seats (were in the car we drove, did sit in the comfort seat in the showroom and felt fine - sports seats look better!)
Add air suspension (we have this on the Q7 and it makes it very smooth, however had an SQ5 (same underling platform as the Macan) without it and it was perfectly good).
Last edited by Elrao on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pmg

Post by pmg »

If I was wanting to keep cost down on that spec I would definitely "Remove sport design pack and instead get rear apron painted" and possible also remove "Running boards". I would argue in Black the sports design gets less noticed.

Facelift comes with LED's , the option is LED plus.

I have heard reports non painted side blades are harder to clean so I would keep painted especially if wanting stealth look
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Hi pmg

Agree with you on the sport design pack, my wife and I were just having the same conversation about that (and the side blades). Need to see the non painted side blades on a Volcano grey car, the two we saw both had them painted. Also raises the question whether we need to paint the rear apron if not going with the SD kit.

We have running boards on the Q7 and they are great with the kids, not sure if they Macan is high enough to need them.

Some pics still with the SD kit, non painted blades as well as a few other changes - think we are going to keep the painted window surrounds though:

macan1b.png

macan2b.png

macan3b.png

Last edited by Elrao on Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

Re: LEDs - didn't realise the comments I had seen re: lights was mainly aimed at the pre-facelift cars. So the option on the facelift is just the dynamic light system (which I don't think we need, as 95% of the time the car is driven in the day!!).
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Don't get rid of the Sports design pack. It gets rid of that butt ugly chin spoiler which is basically a magnet for scrapes, dings and narrow entrances. Keep it. Your original design looked great. I would have added 21s and gotten the air suspension. Then it would have been outstanding! :D
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

You have missed the single most important Extra ...... heated steering wheel.

I use mine far more than the heated seats and since it is mainly for your Wife I am pretty sure she will enjoy having warm hands.

The other thing is a spare wheel is an extra but well worth it.

Rest of your spec is very good, all the essentials but you may want to check out the Sports Chrono pack which give a more aggressive engine and gearbox management maps.

The 18 ways are very good there are a couple of buts with them, in that they are a very snug fit but worst is the bolsters which have a tendency to crease if care is not exercised getting in and out.

A long test drive of each will determine which is for you and your Wife.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Keep the SD kit for sure, looks a lot better. Unless you really are picky about music then drop BOSE as the standard system is perfectly good especially with kids in the car. No need for air suspension so don't tick that one either.

Heated rear seats would make you a popular Daddy if you have kids in the rear. Drop the roof bars if you aren't going to use them, looks a lot better without anyway so save the money. As above painted side blades are a lot easier to clean so keep them too.

Oh and drop the running boards, takes away from the sleek look and it really isn't a high enough vehicle to need them. More money saved or added back into the pot to spend on other toys.
darkness17

Post by darkness17 »

+1 One on the SD checkout the 2.0l versions they have at the OPC which normally don't have the SD kit and you can see the difference.

I was going to spec running boards myself as the wife is vertically challenged being welsh :lol: But the test mule had them and all you seemed to do was bang your ankles on them getting in and out of the car.

Would also drop the Bose if you want to save cash. I'm not sure who supply the OEM standard stereo but it's pretty good.
Elrao

Post by Elrao »

darkness17 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:20 am I was going to spec running boards myself as the wife is vertically challenged being welsh :lol: But the test mule had them and all you seemed to do was bang your ankles on them getting in and out of the car.
The salesman said the same thing; haven't seen them anywhere to test them. I need to book another appointment, to actually drive the S when they have one, and maybe take the older kids down and see how they are getting in and out without them.
ianst

Post by ianst »

remove the running boards.
maybe the SD kit, its expensive

If you are adding the partial leather package to get the seat centres in leather bin that, as 14 way comes with them iirc
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)