Order stage gates

All your ordering information here!
T4LGO

Post by T4LGO »

Hi,
Can someone explain the order stage gates and approximate timings..

Order placement
Spec change cut off
Manufacturing start
Manufacture completion
Shipping
Arrival at OPC
Ptep time
Customer hand over..

I am particularly interested in the spec change point.

Thanks
Kermit the Mamba Green Macan S .. http://www.porsche-code.com/PKIFXUV9

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

We've covered this many times:

Order to lockdown (spec change cutoff) depends on when your OPC has a build slot which is then allocated to you when you pay the initial deposit and sign an order form. The OPC should be able to give you an indicative build date, although that may change.
Lockdown is six weeks before build date. You may still be able to change the spec but it will probably push back the build date.
Build is about three days.
You should be told when your car is due to finish build, known as CP08, when it enters the factory compound prior to transport.
Once built, cars almost always leave immediately for the port of departure, in our case it's Emden.
Cars can sit at Emden for days or weeks, there's no way of knowing.
The OPC may be able to tell you when it has boarded a ship.
Imports arrive at Sheerness for southern dealers, Grimsby for the North.
Customs clearance is usually a day or so but can be longer.
Again, there's no way of knowing when it will arrive at the OPC, often they don't until it arrives on a transporter.
Prep time is one to three days, depends on OPC and workload.
Customer handover will be agreed with you beforehand, usually once they have received the car.

A search for previous posts on this subject may give more detail, and others' experiences.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
T4LGO

Post by T4LGO »

Thanks
Kermit the Mamba Green Macan S .. http://www.porsche-code.com/PKIFXUV9
DiverNick

Post by DiverNick »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:23 am We've covered this many times:

Order to lockdown (spec change cutoff) depends on when your OPC has a build slot which is then allocated to you when you pay the initial deposit and sign an order form. The OPC should be able to give you an indicative build date, although that may change.
Lockdown is six weeks before build date. You may still be able to change the spec but it will probably push back the build date.
Build is about three days.
You should be told when your car is due to finish build, known as CP08, when it enters the factory compound prior to transport.
Once built, cars almost always leave immediately for the port of departure, in our case it's Emden.
Cars can sit at Emden for days or weeks, there's no way of knowing.
The OPC may be able to tell you when it has boarded a ship.
Imports arrive at Sheerness for southern dealers, Grimsby for the North.
Customs clearance is usually a day or so but can be longer.
Again, there's no way of knowing when it will arrive at the OPC, often they don't until it arrives on a transporter.
Prep time is one to three days, depends on OPC and workload.
Customer handover will be agreed with you beforehand, usually once they have received the car.

A search for previous posts on this subject may give more detail, and others' experiences.
My Macan S = PKL5EFN5 (Ordered in Jan, built in March = production week 12) sat at Emden for over 2 weeks, but as of Monday had arrived at Sheerness and is expected to get to my OPC tomorrow or Friday. I've been assured that I should be looking to collect it Tues or Wed next week, so I should be able to have a good play with all the goodies over Easter.
So my experience is pretty much in line with that outlined above.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Looking at the Factory Compound to OPC elemeny alone.

The shortest time for Factory Compound to OPC that has been posted here is 7 days.

My own took 14 days.

A well known member here had there car effectively lost for many, many weeks.

Average is about 3 weeks.

So the only way any OPC can give a specific collection date is if they factor in about 6 weeks after the actual build and have the car in their compound for a few weeks.

As the OPCis invoiced when the car leaves the Factory Compound it can affect their cashflow.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

I find all this quite interesting.

My experience so far (I haven't taken delivery yet), has been of quite accurate timelines coming from the dealer. When I placed my order and deposit in January I was told that the build slot would be April for an early May delivery. Roll on a couple of months and I got an email telling me my build date had come forward a little so I needed to lockdown a bit earlier than expected.

Then a couple of weeks ago I had an email telling me my car was in Emden, and it was expected to arrive at the dealers for the 26th/27th April, so a week earlier than expected. I've got a detailer going in to sort the car out when it arrives and should be taking ownership the first weekend in May. I hope I'm right in saying that as I have had to arrange for a 3rd party detailer to go in to the dealers to detail the car, they wouldn't commit to a date if they weren't expecting it then? I may be proved wrong but for now their knowledge of delivery times has been spot on.

Sal
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

MrsMacan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:57 pm I find all this quite interesting.

My experience so far (I haven't taken delivery yet), has been of quite accurate timelines coming from the dealer. When I placed my order and deposit in January I was told that the build slot would be April for an early May delivery. Roll on a couple of months and I got an email telling me my build date had come forward a little so I needed to lockdown a bit earlier than expected.

Then a couple of weeks ago I had an email telling me my car was in Emden, and it was expected to arrive at the dealers for the 26th/27th April, so a week earlier than expected. I've got a detailer going in to sort the car out when it arrives and should be taking ownership the first weekend in May. I hope I'm right in saying that as I have had to arrange for a 3rd party detailer to go in to the dealers to detail the car, they wouldn't commit to a date if they weren't expecting it then? I may be proved wrong but for now their knowledge of delivery times has been spot on.

Sal
Your experience isn’t untypical actually, but of course you don’t have the car yet! Here’s hoping it does meet your planned dates and sounds like it has a good chance. :D
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MrsMacan

Post by MrsMacan »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:08 pm
Your experience isn’t untypical actually, but of course you don’t have the car yet! Here’s hoping it does meet your planned dates and sounds like it has a good chance. :D
Fingers crossed!! :)
Sal
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2019 Volcano Grey Macan 8-) Arrived 6th May 2019
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

MrsMacan wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:57 pm I find all this quite interesting.

Sal
Sal

Good news for you.

This often happens when someone who has placed an order wth your OPC cancels it or they are given additional build slots the OPC juggles with the list.

I had two such early build slots offered to me which were not convenient so knowing a member here was after as early a build as possible I put said member in touch with the OPC and 9 weeks later he picked up his Turbo.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags