Macan order advice

All your ordering information here!
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

Hi all

I’m new on this forum, but not to Porsche.

We test drove the Macan this weekend, with a view to swapping out the Evoque on 1st March 2020.

Given the 911 in the stable, the 2.0 is adequate for our needs and hence have selected the following spec:

Macan 2.0

Volcano Grey Metallic
21 inch RS Spyder Design Alloys
14-way memory seats, Black Leather
Panoramic roof
Park Assist (Front and Rear) incl. rear camera
Front Heated windscreen
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Privacy Glass
Sports tailpipes in black
Collapsible spare wheel

I had thought about PASM and the dealer suggested it too. He also recommended Power Assist Plus and given the steering can be a little heavy when parking, etc thought this may help the wife.

Was told no financial contribution or discount, but likely ‘gestures’ such as G-Tech coating, etc.

Would welcome any thoughts and advice on:

a. Is PASM necessary given the 21s?
b. Any other spec advice?
c. Is discount approach typical?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. this is happening and can’t wait! :D
Current:
997.2 C2S, Meteor Grey, PDK (with paddles), PSE, Sports Chrono, etc.... (2009)
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome to our friendly forum and congrats on the Macan order!

Stand by for various folks to encourage you to ‘upgrade’ to the 3.0 Macan. ;)

Discounts are not common, but a few on here claim to have got a small discount on their Porsche purchase. More common are freebies in lieu of cash off the full price.

Your spec looks good to me. :)

Will you regularly have rear seat passengers (as you’ve gone for heated rear seats)?

The view on PASM varies widely on here. Best advice is to try one with and one without (ideally both on 21” wheels) to judge for yourself.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

Thanks. Not ordered yet, will be doing so in Sept/Oct.

Yep, have twins girls (18) and they have them on regularly in the Evoque! We seem to love a bit of heat in our family, especially come winter time :-)
Current:
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

As WingCo suggests do test drive a Macan on 21” wheels with no PASM.

If you cannot then do include PASM unless you like driving around in a Beamer with sport suspension and flat run flat tyres, and no I am not exaggerating a Macan ride without PASM and on 21” wheels really is that hard and unforgiving.

PS+ is only software but well worth it imho.

Yes I am the first to say ignore the 2.0 and go for a 3.0 S. The 2.0 really has to be worked to get anywhere, it is way to small for such a heavy car. That said if you are coming from an Evoke the base Macan probably feels fine.

Test drive a base and an S back to back if you can.

Your spec looks good.

Freebie ceramic coatings should be accepted but certainly not if they want to charge you for it. A pro Detailer will take three days to prep and treat your car whereas the guy on minimum wage at your OPC will have to do it all in a couple of hours.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

Thanks for all your advice Col.

The car we drove had PASM and 21s. I felt the difference in the modes; and the dealer said that the Sport suspension setting was probably akin to a car without PASM. Your BMW ref is understood. I am leaning towards ticking the PASM box, as the comfort option will provide some flex.

Yes, better than the Evoque and seemed plenty for wife and our weekend needs. Have the 911 for fun times! :-)
Current:
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Seventy Seven wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:20 pm I had thought about PASM and the dealer suggested it too. He also recommended Power Assist Plus and given the steering can be a little heavy when parking, etc thought this may help the wife.
I picked my car up 10 days ago and I can tell you:
PAS: The steering whilst parking is noticeably harder, not a lot, it's manageable but it is without doubt harder (during parking) than any other car I've had.
Discount: No discount is common but most get a little something and if you can get GTECH that's good (of course how good depends on what level/spec of GTECH you can get).
Suspension: PASM and Air - I have both, it's on by default and the ride feels pretty much the same as my Q5, a couple of days back I switched it down to sport then sport plus and the difference in ride comfort under bum was minimal.
What else: An absolute must, not on your list is the bigger fuel tank, it's small money and as the car is delivered with a full tank that's £15 off what it cost.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Welcome Seventy seven

Your spec looks fine. I do think PASM is well worth it.

Do try a Macan with PS+ to see if you both feel its needed. Costs more to retro-install.

Couple of other low cost options to consider:
_ Speed limit recognition, the Macan is quiet and you often find you're going faster than you think!
-The smokers pack to provide a cover over the hole below the gear lever.

You could always drop the last two options on your list to cover some of those costs.

Plenty of time over the next few months to spend even more on the confusarstor! :o
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Seventy Seven wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:20 pm Hi all

I’m new on this forum, but not to Porsche.

We test drove the Macan this weekend, with a view to swapping out the Evoque on 1st March 2020.

Given the 911 in the stable, the 2.0 is adequate for our needs and hence have selected the following spec:

Macan 2.0

Volcano Grey Metallic
21 inch RS Spyder Design Alloys
14-way memory seats, Black Leather
Panoramic roof
Park Assist (Front and Rear) incl. rear camera
Front Heated windscreen
Front and Rear Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
Privacy Glass
Sports tailpipes in black
Collapsible spare wheel

I had thought about PASM and the dealer suggested it too. He also recommended Power Assist Plus and given the steering can be a little heavy when parking, etc thought this may help the wife.

Was told no financial contribution or discount, but likely ‘gestures’ such as G-Tech coating, etc.

Would welcome any thoughts and advice on:

Thanks in advance.

p.s. this is happening and can’t wait! :D
Welcome to this friendly forum, I would agree with going PASM and Power steering plus (does make a real difference at low speeds and not a costly option). Not trying to offend 2.0 owners at all but I'm firmly in the 3.0 camp. It's not that much more to go for the 3litre and it is a wholly better car to drive, I've pretty much driven all the various variants of the Macan and owned a few. The 2.0litre really underwhelmed me and as you have a 911 you have a motor that is responsive I think you will feel a little short changed with the 2.0. Also the 3 litre will hold better residuals.

As regards discount, always worth asking and if your dealer offers you nothing then please PM me and I'll do an intro with my OPC.

All the best

Arif
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
T4LGO

Post by T4LGO »

Hi and welcome.. I too would consider the S, the engine suits the Macan far better, progress is effortless, you also get quite alote more standard kit .. Upgraded alloys, aluminium door plates, bigger brakes (6 pot vs 4 pot) painted in silver, black gloss interior rather than matte plastic, grey rev counter, 4 round real exhausts and chrome window surrounds rather than matte plastic, Residuals should be better too. Also look at some of the leather options as the standard interior felt a little plasticky too me, I have the 8 way seats and they are great (very comfortable infact). Discounts are out there, plus you can get some of the insurance thrown in too (I got a decent contribution, 3 year GAP, 3 year cosmetic repair, 3 years wheel and tyre, and a few trinkets)
Kermit the Mamba Green Macan S .. http://www.porsche-code.com/PKIFXUV9
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

Thanks for the prompt replies and offer of PMs etc.

Impressed by the timely advice 😀
Current: