Brexit impact

All your ordering information here!
Guy

Post by Guy »

Just think of all us poor existing owners whose car values will rise slightly when the tariff is brought in! ;)

But seriously , there was lots of similar discussion on the forum when the last Brexit deadline approached. From memory, most buyers were prepared to pay up!

Acwats

Post by Acwats »

I’ve reached a sensible position with the dealers.
We’ll go ahead with the order but I retain my option to “walkaway” with my deposit if there is any tax/tariff increase.
This doesn’t guarantee me my car at the agreed price but it does mean I’m not tied to paying the tax or loosing my deposit.
I understand that Porsche UK have yet to decide their policy, they will have to do something, the link below shows what stance they took in the run up to March.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/porsche-brexit-warning-price-rise-uk-car-buyers-imports-wto-rules-a8783661.html

If new car prices do go up, what will happen to prices on used models? Demand for used cars will soar, as that would be the obvious place for me to go, would Porsche be tempted to inflate used stock prices to the same ratio as they are now to new models.
If this situation heads for WTO, I might pick up a used one in Sept, Crazy times could be ahead
Paul

Post by Paul »

Sensible approach from the dealership, obviously keen to keep your custom.

I’m hoping my GTS goes up by 10%....😉😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

I was in this very position when I paid a deposit mid March. I had a verbal that I could walk away and get my deposit back if there was an increase due to Brexit.

When he sent all the paperwork through, the small print seemed to suggest I was tied in if they so decided. To protect me i replied to the email in a casual manner, basically saying that without reading reams of small print in layman’s terms I was buying a car at the current agreed price, if that changed I could go ahead, haggle or walk away with my deposit and the salesman replied saying yes! Result, the verbal was now in writing.

To be honest, if you order a nicely spec’d car, you will be unlikely to have an issue walking away, if the Macan is in depreciation brown with 18” wheels the OPC may be a tad reluctant.
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

When I signed my pre Brexit Episode 1 contract, we crossed out the ‘losing-deposit’ section from the contract. Nothing happened and I got my car.
Dealers understand the predicament and most of them are sensible businessmen willing to carry the risk.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
NSinc

Post by NSinc »

Fairynuff wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:52 pm
Acwats wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:03 pm Paying 10% more is not an option I’m prepared to consider. I want the car but not that much, I don’t need it.
I am sure that if you told your OPC that you would refuse to pay any more than currently agreed and ask for a commitment on that or your deposit back they would agree or give you your deposit back i.e. from my (limited) experience I do not believe they would tell you that you must accept a 10% increase or lose your deposit; I would start by putting them on notice.
My OPC confirmed to me that if this happens they'll give my deposit back no problem (I'm due for delivery early Nov)
2018 Audi RS3 480bhp (Nardo Grey)
2019 Macan S (Volcano Grey)
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Alfanut wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:30 pm I was in this very position when I paid a deposit mid March. I had a verbal that I could walk away and get my deposit back if there was an increase due to Brexit.

When he sent all the paperwork through, the small print seemed to suggest I was tied in if they so decided. To protect me i replied to the email in a casual manner, basically saying that without reading reams of small print in layman’s terms I was buying a car at the current agreed price, if that changed I could go ahead, haggle or walk away with my deposit and the salesman replied saying yes! Result, the verbal was now in writing.

To be honest, if you order a nicely spec’d car, you will be unlikely to have an issue walking away, if the Macan is in depreciation brown with 18” wheels the OPC may be a tad reluctant.
Yeah, I'm not sure this holds up. You've basically said you haven't read the terms and conditions of sale, made up your own on the understanding of what someone told you, someone who hasn't the power to bind the entity selling you the car, and you think that your idea of what the terms are takes precedent. I wouldn't be confident holding onto that position. The terms of contract are what binds a deal. Unless you specifically apply to have your email added as an appendix to the contract, and referred to in the contract, you're winging it.
Davidone

Post by Davidone »

Alfanut
What evidence do you have for your statement "if the Macan is in depreciation brown" ?
ianst

Post by ianst »

Davidone wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:36 pm Alfanut
What evidence do you have for your statement "if the Macan is in depreciation brown" ?
he means in an unpopular colour which the dealers will have a hard time shifting from stock, like brown.
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
Paul

Post by Paul »

ianst wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:35 pm
Davidone wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:36 pm Alfanut
he means in an unpopular colour which the dealers will have a hard time shifting from stock, like brown.
😂 we used to call it “doom blue”.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465