Brexit impact

All your ordering information here!
Acwats

Post by Acwats »

Hi all,

Hoping that some on here experienced this in the March run up to Brexit.
I’ve got a deposit down on an S and have been told to expect delivery in October.
Does anybody know what the policy is in the event that there’s a delay to my order and a tax increase driven by Brexit, will Porsche honour the price at order or lock down and is my deposit at risk if I choose not to pay any new taxes

Looking forward to any help, I don’t want to start a Brexit discussion though

Thanks

Paul

Post by Paul »

You need to read the small print, but I suspect you’ll be paying the price they announce at delivery or forfeiting your deposit. The only way round it (the 31st October brexit bit) is if you specified a time sensitive hand-over date in writing on the order firm.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Acwats

Post by Acwats »

I’ve had the order form which clearly states: you (the customer) will be responsible for any additional tariffs or taxes imposed after the UK splits from the EU

Given I’m being quoted a delivery at the end of October and WTO tariffs at 10% this seems like a huge risk to me.
Are all manufacturers doing this? I think I’d be better waking until the new year, at least I’ll be able to make a clear decision then. 🤷‍♂️
Paul

Post by Paul »

Except Porsche / VWG may choose to absorb and/or it may not happen.

Waiting until next year won’t change anything except you’ll suffer an “ordinary” price rise

Assume a £6K increase and that will be your worst case exposure; if Tariffs are applied they’ll also be applied next year.

Don’t forget all Japanese / Korean built cars have been paying WTO tarifs ever since......
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Rigger

Post by Rigger »

“Don’t forget all Japanese / Korean built cars have been paying WTO tarifs ever since......”

And I have wondered about this point too. The Koreans appear to be able to make a decent car, ship it Halfway round the world, pay the tariff, provide a 7 year guarantee and still sell a competitive product. Must admit I was looking to get a Kia Niro as the family runaround to replace an old Toyota verso. What am I missing when comparing against a “cooking” Golf, A3 etc?
Last edited by Rigger on Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 - Macan GTS ~ now sold
2007 - 997.1 Turbo (Manual)
2021 - GR Yaris
Acwats

Post by Acwats »

Thanks Paul

Paying 10% more is not an option I’m prepared to consider. I want the car but not that much, I don’t need it.
My point about waiting until New Year was that dealers and manufacturers of EU cars may choose to absorb some of the impact as sales will surely die off it WTO is in place, signing the order form I’ve got from Porsche passes all that risk to me.
I’ll either ask for a guaranteed date prior to the end of Oct or walk away unfortunately.
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

Acwats wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:03 pm Paying 10% more is not an option I’m prepared to consider. I want the car but not that much, I don’t need it.
I am sure that if you told your OPC that you would refuse to pay any more than currently agreed and ask for a commitment on that or your deposit back they would agree or give you your deposit back i.e. from my (limited) experience I do not believe they would tell you that you must accept a 10% increase or lose your deposit; I would start by putting them on notice.
Acwats

Post by Acwats »

My deposit is not at risk now, I can walk away and get it back.
The harder conversation comes tomorrow as I can’t sign the agreement as it’s worded for reasons I’ve stated above.
I’m a bit surprised that I’m the only person in this position on this forum.

I’ll let you know how I get on
RK27

Post by RK27 »

Acwats wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:59 pm My deposit is not at risk now, I can walk away and get it back.
The harder conversation comes tomorrow as I can’t sign the agreement as it’s worded for reasons I’ve stated above.
I’m a bit surprised that I’m the only person in this position on this forum.

I’ll let you know how I get on
Hi there. You are definitely not alone. I am in absolutely the same position. I have put the deposit down. It is still refundable at this stage. My delivery date is 1st Nov...
I have been told that this may come forward ...
But not sure if that is true. Also I have had it confirmed by the dealer that if there is a no deal then a 10% increase will be imposed. The problem is ...I am desperate for the car....and we have seen this brexit date delayed twice already .... so still considering! Any thoughts / advice appreciated!!!
Sold 2005 Boxster S
Sold 2007 Cayman S
Paul

Post by Paul »

How badly do you want the car? if it's £6K badly then you'll be fine!

Any other advice is crystal ball time!
Last edited by Paul on Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab