Insurance packages (N rated tyre repairs)?

All your ordering information here!
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

Hi all

Was at OPC today to get the Evoque valued.

Discussed Insurance packages for Alloy wheel repairs, tyres, etc and also G-Tech, so we can consider before collection on 1st March.

Considering going for the Alloy wheel cover (18 repairs over 3 years for c.£275), especially as have gone for the 21” Spyders.

However, when discussing the Tyre cover, the SA said that it is good as you cannot repair a N-rated tyre - is this correct?
Current:
997.2 C2S, Meteor Grey, PDK (with paddles), PSE, Sports Chrono, etc.... (2009)
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0

Paul

Post by Paul »

Technically not, although I’m at a loss to know how they can tell.

You can repair any tyre; Porsche won’t.

I had my n/s/f “ plugged” and did a further 15000 miles in 18 months without missing a beat (or indeed loosing a single PSI)

Providing the hole is clean and in the centre 2/3 it is not a problem. Whether you would want to do a continued run on the autobahn is another question, but for standard UK stuff it’s fine.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Paul wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:34 pm Technically not, although I’m at a loss to know how they can tell.

You can repair any tyre; Porsche won’t.

I had my n/s/f “ plugged” and did a further 15000 miles in 18 months without missing a beat (or indeed loosing a single PSI)

Providing the hole is clean and in the centre 2/3 it is not a problem. Whether you would want to do a continued run on the autobahn is another question, but for standard UK stuff it’s fine.
Agreed on a Macan

I didn’t have one on my pretty new rear 992 tyre

It was at dealers at time and they refused to do it.

I was away next day and on the basis it is used as intended I didn’t risk it.

On the Macan I would do with an independent tyre dealer without concern
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

The only time a repair is going to fail is if it shouldn't have been done in the first place, i.e. on or close to the flexing shoulder or a big enough hole that it damages the structure of the tire. Of course the OPC are going to replace the tyre, much more money to be made as in most cases you'll need to replace at least two or probably four to be totally sure. Anyone who wants 100% tyre safety would never consider replacing anything than all four at once. Tyres start to harden from the moment they first hit the tarmac so even after only one thousand miles they will have lost some grip and one or two new ones on a car will throw the balance out the window. When I race you would always replace all four at once preferably ever race weekend and sometimes for very heat and final.
So unless you go to the expense of replacing all four at once a well done repair is probably less likely to compromise the handling of your Porsche even a 911. I had a small nail hole repaired on my 911 at 2000 miles with no issues at all, well other than getting the center locks off and back on again.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

All as I thought guys.

It’s the family motor, so local and normal motorway miles. Agree, obviously if repair is in an appropriate place.

For everything else, I have the 911 (hence, opting for the 2.0 which is more than adequate for our needs).

Btw, can’t wait!!

Thanks!
Current:
Macan, Volcano Grey, 21” RS Spyder Design Alloys (2020): http://www.porsche-code.com/PLVB2FZ0
jamundo86

Post by jamundo86 »

OPC won't pass a repaired tyre for the 111 check / warranty extension - at least they refused to on my Cayman (which was N rated, had tons of tread, repair wasn't on sidewall etc)!
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Cover for up to 18 repairs over 3 years for £275 sounds to good to be true. Also anyone needing that many should have their licence revoked! Check the detailed print and if your happy take it.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime in May/June 🤔 https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
jetbox

Post by jetbox »

Just a comment about repairing N rated tyres. I had a recent experience when I had my Macan services and when picking up it had a puncture. They took it back in the shop and it had a small screw through the tyre which they think was picked up from the parking area at the back of the workshop.

They repaired and plugged the tyre as a watched and waited ( and they had plenty of repair plugs etc to do the task.

And then since then they have carried out 111 point check and warranty extension

Make of it what you want....
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

jetbox wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:37 pm Just a comment about repairing N rated tyres. I had a recent experience when I had my Macan services and when picking up it had a puncture. They took it back in the shop and it had a small screw through the tyre which they think was picked up from the parking area at the back of the workshop.

They repaired and plugged the tyre as a watched and waited ( and they had plenty of repair plugs etc to do the task.

And then since then they have carried out 111 point check and warranty extension

Dealers are thieving bastards !?

Cheapest way for them to fix but If it was down to you it would have been four tyres
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Seventy Seven

Post by Seventy Seven »

jetbox wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:37 pm Just a comment about repairing N rated tyres. I had a recent experience when I had my Macan services and when picking up it had a puncture. They took it back in the shop and it had a small screw through the tyre which they think was picked up from the parking area at the back of the workshop.

:shock:
Current: